KP-3002

Caracal88

Good evening. I have a pair of KP-3002-C2 speakers and have a couple of questions.

1) What can these speakers be used for? Are they candidates for home stereo or home theater?

2)They have two parallel inputs (large plug in jacks) on the back of each speaker. How do these work?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Thanks,

Henry

Jacks.JPG

Edited by Caracal88

Good evening. I have a pair of KP-3002-C2 speakers and have a couple of questions.

1) What can these speakers be used for? Are they candidates for home stereo or home theater?

2)They have two parallel inputs (large plug in jacks) on the back of each speaker. How do these work?

Thanks,

Henry

Jacks.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Caracal88 said:

Thanks,

Henry

Jacks.JPG

Most likely 1/4" jacks with speaker wire, similar to other older pro equipment like Peavey.

carlthess40 and pzannucci,

Thank you for your response to my questions.

carlthess40, 

What types of upgrades?

pzannucci,

Yes, the inputs are 1/4 inch. Does one parallel input go to the receiver's positive speaker terminal and the other goes to the negative? If so, how do I know which is which on the KP-3002 speakers? The parallel inputs on the speakers do not indicate a positive and negative terminal like other speakers I use.

Once again, thank you both for your responses.

Thanks,

Henry

Henry, welcome to the forum :D 

Haha ... have a pair of those. They are awesome. I use them as (2nd) mains in a separate stereo room, next to Forte's.  Sound is not as refined as the Forte's, but a lot more "dynamic." (Depending upon the music I play, I often "prefer" them.)

Parallel in/outs are just "that" ... in/out splitter.

Cheers, Emile

cecaa850 and skelt,

Thank you for your response.

cecca850,

I take it from your post that each input is generic? One parallel input go to the receiver's positive speaker terminal and the other goes to the negative? The parallel inputs on the speakers do not indicate a positive and negative terminal like other speakers I use.

skelt,

Install tweeter or mid-range speakers? Where would I install them?

Once again, thank you both for your responses.

Thanks,

Henry

9 minutes ago, Caracal88 said:

Does one parallel input go to the receiver's positive speaker terminal and the other goes to the negative?

Single input uses a 1/4 inch +/- plug. 2nd input gives the same connection.  Can use it to hookup another speaker.  (No clue how to use it with a 2nd amp :( )

Image result for 1/4 inch plug diagram

17 minutes ago, Caracal88 said:

the wires on the other end of the cable would  be bare and would attach to the positive and negative terminals on the receiver

Correct.  It's just a connector that is easier for "Pro" speakers ... guitars usually have the same plugs also ... headphones use a similar plug (but 3-way stereo). You can buy these 1/4 connectors on FleaBay or other places.  Or you can buy a 1/4 to banana connector cable if your amp takes bananas ... etc, etc.

Yes; 2nd input really should be labeled output ... since it is a splitter it would be a parallel connection and it would reduce the setup to 4 ohms.  Note ... do not hook another amp up to this :D It will probably "blow" your amp :( 

Cheers, Emile 

Emile,

Thank you. I was thinking of connecting them directly to my receiver. It is a Sony STR-DE835 that is 100w per channel. Will that be enough to power the KP-3002 speakers?

Why do you recommend not hooking them to another amp?

Thanks,

Henry

Specs are here ... https://web.archive.org/web/20130325130421/http://www.klipsch.com:80/kp-302 ... the "302" is a rectangular box, the "3002" is trapezoidal, but specs are the same. Sensitivity is 102dB ... extremely efficient and therefore very loud; not needing much of an amp.  Have mine on a vintage 35W/ch Kenwood amp and it will blow you out of the (small) room :D  Your Sony will be just fine ... but note ... 100W/ch is highly overrated by all "modern" specs; actual is probably closer to a "real" 30W/ch.

Do not hookup 2 amps to one set of speakers at the same time.  The speakers feed back signals to the amp.  If using "2," the amps will feed back to each other ... if you are lucky you will only blow fuses ... if not lucky the amp will "blow."

Cheers, Emile

Some of us have moved the tweeter into a seperate enclosure to align the drivers. This one is a k75 with the crossover components.

I had kp2002s for a short time and used that tweeter. With out them the cymbals were missing.

I think they might make a good guitar speaker with a proper amp.a60c6e3ab055d3a95c68aff8d0ee09a7.jpgfd77b1045c53c59cf14df6261576030a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk