Rega Planet CD players

Jim Cornell

Interesting thread.

Well, burn in issues aside, I will seriously consider the Rega Planet when I upgrade my lowly CD player (Denon DCD 620, circa 1989). I have not heard a bad thing about the Rega on this board (except it sounds worse with the display on).

Sometime next year I'll upgrade either my pre-amp (currently an NAD 3240 using pre-out) or my CD. I'm seriously considering tubes for the pre-amp, based on what I've read on this board.

Any thoughts on what would make the biggest difference in my set-up? (tube pre-amp vs. Rega CD) I tend to listen to everything but most important is hard rock and classical, both at "accurate volumes" (85-100 dB).

Mace

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the new Planet is worth the difference. Cost is 2.5 times used. It does not look as good as the original. A buddy of mine compared the two in depth a choose the original at $400. Digital is changing so much, I would not blow $1000 on the new Planet.

AS for your signature, I'll send you a file with it done if you send me your email. REduces background noise by 2/3!

kh

OK, Audio Flynn... HERE is your signature ALL done.

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/sig.txt

1. Click link

3. Go to EDIT, go to SELECT ALL

4. Copy it

5. Go to your profile and "paste" the contents in your profile section for Signature.

6. Save Profile

IT should all be hunky dory....

- RB-5s, RC-3, KSB 3.1(rear)

- Sanus Steel stands shot filled

- Adire Audio Rava 12 inch sealed cabinet sub(generic version of an M&K design)

- Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080R HT Preamp

- Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 Power Amp

- Kenwood CD-206 as a Transport

- MSB Link II D/A converter

- Panasonic RP-91 DVD/DVD-A

- Toshiba 36 in direct view HDTV

- Dish Network model 6000 & 8VSB card

- patchcords mid to low level

- spikes, feet, component dampeners

- 5 old 2 channel systems(non Klipsch)

- 4 Kids(7-19)

- 3 Chesapeake Bay Retrievers

- 3 Cats

- 1 Wife

- No Tubes (too much fur and Nerf balls flying around the house)

Yes, that is much better :)

Thanks to everyone it is a bit embarasing since i was such a computer geek 20-25 years ago. Figuring this stuff out is time I do not have somedays.

Like today.....

The 7 year old boy gets the flu just as mom takes off for 10 hours to go visit relatives in the middle of the state, and has vomited 4 times today.

WHOOPIE

Mobile your links to your description of the system are well designed.

When I get the living room system confirgured; mayb we will just get rid of the HT system description.

Thanks again

Rick

Craig, try moving your text size back to medium or whatever you had it before. You know, it is not as bad now. I have a 21" at 1280x1024 and the forum text looks fine. And your signature does look the same. I agree, the forum change has not gone smoothly but you adjust to it. One of my lingering complaints is the one you brought up. You should be able to turn the signature off; I only ran mine ONCE per thread and then off. Who wants to see the same thing over and over. In addition, something I thought would be much better has turned out to be lame.

THE SEARCH feature is a real mess. It does not search text within posts without coming apart at the seams. Due to the nature of this forum with up to five or more changes of subjects within a thread, you HAVE to have a search in text feature. Hell, the title RARELY has anything to do with it!!! heh....

But give the medium text size a try again in your browser. See how it goes.

kh

Mobile,

I'll give it a try. There are a few things that really erk me on the new forum. Like if using rich text to post you can't copy and paste notice that ? Also now where easy to see who all is on !! We lost tons of cool little easy to use options !! The only upgrade this forum was is for klipsch ! They now use less bandwidth.

Craig

Another thing I really dont like is the fact that I have to WORK to make my links active! Stinks it is not automatic like the old. I didnt like the old forum either, but this surely was not an upgrade in many ways. I cant say I was surprised.

To be honest, I still think you can configure this better; it just takes time and the will to do it.

The Rega Planet 2000 is a great sounding CD player. It is true about it "sounding" analog.

I have had a brand new one for 1 year and a week. It played with no problems.After 1 year and two weeks it died. A disk would be playing and then no output and the display would read "No Disk".

I took it back to the dealer. They sent it back for repair. During that time I took my old Onkyo out. So cold sounding. After 3 weeks I got my Rega back. For a day and 1/2 I was in audio heaven (2 day old ALK crossovers in my Lascala's, new stands for Lasacla's, room treatment). I listened to music all day Saturday and 1/2 the day Sunday. Late Sunday afternoon all music stopped. The Rega died again. In goes the Onkyo. So cold and harsh.

I took the Rega back in Monday. Tuesday afternoon I ordered a Heart 6000CD player. The Player arrived the following Wed. I hooked it up and left it in repeat until Friday. I turned it on and it sounded ALMOST as good as the Rega. By Sunday night I was not missing the Rega like I was when I was using the Onkyo.

Two weeks later my Rega is fixed. It played 2 songs and died. I took it back to the shop and I'm getting a new player(that's what the dealer said. I'll let you know).

The Heart comes with a pair of Sovtek 6922 tubes. I replaced them with a pair of Telefunken E88CC's. I no longer miss my Rega. The Rega is now going to be my source in my bedroom.

If I get a new player out of this than I would recommend the Rega. For the year that I had it, it was a great sounding machine. I would also recommend the Heart 6000. I have only had the new tubes in since Thursday night, but as of last night to me it sounds as good if not better than my Rega.

Danny

Lesson #1: Dont buy high dollar Rega Planet 2000; it breaks down like '89 Fiero!

Hey Flash, just imagine if you had saved those $450 ducats on the old Planet used! You would have enough to buy a used TT and some vinyl and listen to your beloved Planet, all at the same time, depending on tubes being rolled...heh.

I have always wondered how the Heart 6000 really compared to the Tjoeb unit. The Rega won out over the other tube mod unit. Still...so many Tjoebs to try!

kh

Mobile,

If we get together at Ed's I will bring my Wright's and the Heart.

I am going to upgrade my Waves in the next week or so. While I have my Wright's out I am going to send them back and get the hum mod done on them.

When I get the Rega back I will really test both machines out.

I was thinking about getting a used Rega Planet while my other Rega was in the shop. I searched AA and most people liked the Heart so I went with that.It cost about $400 more to get a new Heart and upgrade the tubes.

I'm done with new stuff for awhile.I'm very happy with my system now. It's taken 3 years. I have enough spare components to put a system in everyroom in the house.

The US dealer for the Heart is FSAUDIOWEB.COM.

Danny