Rega Planet CD players

Jim Cornell

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to muddy the water, but I wonder how the Planet would sound compared to the Njoe Tjoeb 4000. What really attracts me is the fact that you can upgrade in steps, the ultimate being an upsampler. Anyone hear this yet? This is from upscaleaudio.com:

Ah! TjoUpsampler updates

So how good is it? Call us to hear the Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with upsampler($899 total) and a Mark Levinson No. 39 CD Player ($6000) hooked up in a system, level matched. We won't tell you which is which., You pick out the one you like better, playing the same CD at the same time.

Seems like they must be close. Course, if you pick the Mark Levinson, there's more of a markup opportunity...

I am no fan of mid-fi CD players 'updated' with botique parts and rebadged/sold as hifi.

I think their offer says more about ML than about Tjoeb. Are they saying come to the Netherlands for this audition? I was not clear on that part.

Good execution comes from good design, not simply a few swaps here and there. Not to say that a good design cannot be improved upon with good quality parts, but a mediocre design cannot be improved with good quality parts.

Randy, check out the link. I believe it's at their store. The swaps are actually the op amps or the upsampler, which was designed for this unit. I don't see how you say their offer speaks more of the ML...after all, the A/B is a $6000 Mark Levinson with the $899 Njoe Tjoeb...the ML SHOULD sound better...

The store is driving distance from me, but on a weekend only. Since I am not yet financially ready to buy, I don't really want to tease myself just yet! But I will make it over there one day and will post results.

Cool Craig! Take yer time with her and give 'er all she needs!

In store a/b comparisons are rift with inaccuracy.

Generically speaking, a person needs to live with a piece of equipment, be it a CD player or a crossover, before making informed decisions.

I've owned many things that I liked at first but gave up after a month or so.

IMHO, CD players have a very high slope on their point of diminishing returns. I don't doubt that the differences between the two would be subtle and take a while to surface.

But I'm biased, I just don't believe that mediocre design and mediocre parts (with some upgrades here and there) can hope to sound as good as a well thought out design and execution.

If you enjoy it, that's all that matters.