Eico HF81 - Can this be possible?

anarchist

From: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1389505505

We have installed a new cord, powered it up slowly on a metered variac, hooked up a tuner, sprayed controls with De-Oxit, the unit does work well. We ran it here for about an hour & it is stable. Capacitors & transformer did not get hot, there is no AC hum. Overall the unit seems to be OK.

Given their reputation and my experience with my unit, I can't believe this possible. MH or any other HF81 out there running cool?

Remember, they are trying to sell it. Also, running at low volume into efficient speakers would make the power trans warm to semi-hot, but nothing too bad, especially if you are selling it! heh.... It is only when running it about 50-75% or more with challenging music that the power trans get VERY hot. Again, this is normal. The caps and the outputs actually stay warm, but nothing like the power trans.

I have a good friend in Quebec that is going to bid on this unit so DONT BID! heh.... Seriously, he really does want it. But I know that doenst mean too much.

I have been watching this amp over at ebay for a few days now, I wanted to wait until others began to wade uin before bidding, also I was pushing for the guy to put a/c in and begin testing...seems like this might be a keeper, and a bargain at that price...tony

No problem, it should be here in a week or so. By the way picked up a Sovtek 5AR4 and a matched quad set of Electro Harmonix 7591 output tubes, from Triode Electronics, for the EICO ST-40. The new tubes worked out well.

Joe T

NOS440, have about .5 inches clearance between top of the 7591's and top cover. None of the 7591's are rubbing against any other component (plenty of room) except one of them is a tight fit and that 7591 has about .25 inches clearance between it and the power x'former. I was worried about that, but once I normalized the rectifier circuit (removed 2 diodes and installed the 5AR4 rectifier tube) the unit runs alot cooler, but I'll keep an eye on it. I haven't done any serious listening yet, it's pushing a pair of Klipsch KSB 1.1's right now, just want to put some hours on it before I try it with my Cornwalls. One thing that stands out, its very quiet as far as background noise goes, no hum.

Joe T