Upper frequency response of Klipschorns???

Triode Pete

Well, I did a non-scientific test with 2 of my daughters. After numerous trials with the "test record", they could repeatedly hear the 17 kHz test signal (& below) while I could hear only the 15 kHz signal (& below).

I guess the "AA" X-overs are A-OK.

"If you got ears, you gotta listen!"

Don Van Vliet, aka Captain Beefheart

Thanks for the replies,

Pete

3.gif3.gif3.gif

Did you follow Al's instructions to better that Type AA if you are using it? At least disconnect the Diodes and remove that screw holding down the black washer for the tweeter inductor. While I havent done either since I dont have Type AA I generally all in favor of taking ANYTHING out not needed or impeeding better performance (my Type B is simple as a 1932 sled runner! - Dont ask me what the hell this means).

kh

Mobile,

When I first got the K-horns, I spoke to Darren Hosvian (from DH Labs). He appeared to be a real knowledgable K-horn fellow & advised me to remove the tweeter diode protection by removing both terminal leads. I did that & it worked well. I need to look for the black screw that Al K. is talking about.

Pete

PS- A couple cosmic things about my K-horn conversation with DH. I drove from Long Island to Jupiter, Fl to pick-up my K-horns (back in '99). DH was looking all over for a pair of K-horns. BTW - he is located in Jupiter, Fl. Cosmic!

Getting back to Triode Pete's question.

First, I doubt there is cross over issue. There is some chance there is compromise in a cap, but I doubt it. The explanation(s) probably are from other influences. The world at 15 kHz is probably where the source material, the tweeter, and our ears, are all falling off.

One thing is that I wonder whether the cartridge of the record player can reproduce 17 kHz. My recall from the old days is that 15 kHz was pretty much the top end. Even that might have been a bit of an overstatement.

I've run curves on some T-35 tweeters. These were marked as Electro-Voice or without markings. They are rolling off at 12 kHz and dropping like a rock. I suspect that PWK got hand picked cherry units which went to the limits available. In one interview he said his K-77 had more QC. Still, 17 kHz is, I believe, very optimistic.

Young people, and perhaps females in general have better perceptions in that area. I could hear the whine of TV's and ultrasonic alarms when I was younger. No more. At least at low levels. There is no shame.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't go on a witch hunt over the issue.

Gil

• 4 weeks later...

The fact is, the spectrum above 6000Hz contains less than 1% of the total energy in the audible spectrum. And its mostly low level harmonic content. Most adults can't hear anything over 12-14KHz. Some think they can. Especially if they are using super tweeters (or stupid tweeters as I can them). They are hearing something alright. But its not some 20KHz+ sound. Its the comb filter effect of the super tweeter modulating (reinforcing & cancellation of)the lower frequencies produced by the tweeter. It may sound different, but "better" is quite subjective.

If you are using the Radio Shack SPL meter, you have to make some adjustments to the readings in the higher and lower frequencies. Like a number of others here, I can't hear beyond 15k hz but I know my speakers are generating the signals because the SPL meter tells me so. 1.gif

Here are the adjustments...

_6300hz + 2db

_8000hz + 3db

10000hz + 4.4db

12500hz + 6.2db

16000hz + 8.5db

20000hz + 12.2db

Mike

I generated in Cool Edit tone samples in following frequencies:

30-35-40-50-60-80-90-100-110-120-150-180-200-250-350-400-450-500-1000-2000-4000-5500-6000-6500-8000-10000-15000-17000-20000 Hz.

I have no SPL-meter, i listened with my ears.

30 Hz is hearable, very silent. It really starts with 35 Hz. To 60 Hz the loudness raises, between 100 and 120 and 180 and 200 Hz is a peak. At 350 Hz is a sink. At 5500 Hz is another peak. After 10000 Hz the loudness sinks, but the tones are good audible til 17000 Hz. Even 20000 Hz is audible, but very silent.

My system:

Klipschorns with K-55 M, K-77 M and AA network.

Onkyo A-SV 420 amp, Yamaha CDC 635 CD-Player. Room is 26 x 20 x 10. The volume knob during the listening test was in position 8 o'clock.

Bernd