Old new mix?

william99740

I just bought a marantz NR1608 and rp160s.. right now I'm thinking about going to check out an old set of Klipsch for sale.(2004 era maybe) rc25 center and rs25 surrounds.. with a JBL sub and old dennon receiver all for $225. They also have have rf15 towers for $390. I can't tell by the Pictures if there in good shape, but they still have original boxes. Will the center and surrounds go good with my newer bookshelves? 

They are pretty old but my gut tells me they'll blend well with same cermetallic woofer and ti tweeters. Timbre close enough? Pretty tempting to complete the 5.1 set up for less cash than I was thinking about spending for just the next add on...the center

What should I look out for? Thoughts?

50397924_2449477635126495_4600757143430234112_n.jpg

50428473_2449456035128655_5378123409139957760_n.jpg

Edited by william99740
Grammer
  • Like 1

@william99740,

Welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, william99740 said:

right now I'm thinking about going to check out an old set of Klipsch for sale.(2004 era maybe) rc25 center and rs25 surrounds.. with a JBL sub and old dennon receiver all for $225.

Decent deal.

1 hour ago, william99740 said:

They also have have rf15 towers for $390.

Too much $$$, maybe $275.00.  But, they will blend with the RC-25 and RS25.

Bill

Owell, they are sold before I could get a response from the seller. It seems there are quite a few people constantly watching for these kind of bargains. Thank you for the response though willand. Now to decide if I should get an older center if another deal should arise or just bite the bullet and get a new rp250. Of course I want one of the 4 woofer centers but I can barely even crank my rp160s up enough before you can hear them down the hall in my apartment building!

Edited by william99740
Grammer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found a deal and jumped at 250c for under 200 bucks and altered the tv console to make it fit. took out about an inch out of the back overhang lip, slid it in and... Perfect fit. I'm pretty satisfied. I'm happy with my set up for now with the rp160m with one thing that's making me want to upgrade... The stands are wobbly.. they seem a little big to wallmount. I could buy more furniture to have them stable... But I'm thinking this would be a good time to trade them in for the floor standers before my return window is up.. the only catch is I'm worried I might loose up to 75 bucks in shipping cost to mail them back. 

It sucks I just missed the killer Fry's deal rp260f $200... I call them and they quoted me $500 for the last one.. seems they just had that deal to make room for the the newer model floor standers. Looks like I can now pay 305 plus tax (authorized) or there's this site called lacha Mart with cheap prices.. considerably cheaper but they are not an authorized dealer and I can't find any info or reviews about them anywhere

On 2/3/2019 at 10:46 AM, william99740 said:

or there's this site called lacha Mart with cheap prices.. considerably cheaper but they are not an authorized dealer and I can't find any info or reviews about them anywhere

Lacha Mart?  Never heard of them.  I'd stay away as you would end up with speakers that had no warranty.

+++

It does seem like we're down to the last few last gen Reference Premier speakers at great closeout prices.  Your RP-160's should be pretty decent as L/R and your comment on them was wobbly stands.  Can you firm up the wobbly stands?

The do seems a bit big to wall mount as they are more than 30 pounds each and there is no keyhole.  Still, TV's are bigger than that and they get wall mounted.  Can you put a shelf support into a stud and mount them as a true bookshelf speaker?

You might also check with Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters or Steve @Scrappydue.  They are long terms forum members who work together and sell Klipsch.  Many of us have bought from them and the prices and service are top notch.  Send either one a PM to get prices (doesn't hurt to ask) and see if they have any deals going.  They always seem to have something.

-Dave

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Lacha Mart?  Never heard of them.  I'd stay away as you would end up with speakers that had no warranty.

+++

It does seem like we're down to the last few last gen Reference Premier speakers at great closeout prices.  Your RP-160's should be pretty decent as L/R and your comment on them was wobbly stands.  Can you firm up the wobbly stands?

The do seems a bit big to wall mount as they are more than 30 pounds each and there is no keyhold.  Still, TV's are bigger than that and they get wall mounted.  Can you put a shelf support into a stud and mount them as a true bookshelf speaker?

You might also check with Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfitters or Steve @Scrappydue.  They are long terms forum members who work together and sell Klipsch.  Many of us have bought from them and the prices and service are top notch.  Send either one a PM to get prices (doesn't hurt to ask) and see if they have any deals going.  They always seem to have something.

-Dave

Thanks for the suggestion and I just sent them messages. Doesn't hurt to ask! 

I could definitely strap, drill and screw some kind of home made supports but I don't even own this place...  

I'm trying to find more info on lacha Mart. It is hosted by Shopify. They do not have a number listed. The address for the wharehouse shows up as a residence/ house on a street corner. They do have ads running on Google and Yahoo.