AL xover cap values

Alexander

I know some feel the AL (not AL-3) xover is crap but a friend of mine just picked up a set LS's  (1986) and he wants to just do a basic re cap just to have a starting point. The problem is the schematic I have is very poor quality and the values are not illegible (for me anyway). So if anyone has the actual  cap values it would be appreciated.

attached is the copy I have.

AL-xo.jpg

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

I believe there's one 30, two 8s and three 2's but IMHO, that's not a crossover you want to rebuild.  Shouldn't take much to turn it into an AA.

Hmmm. will look at an AA and see. My friend would not go that far on his own but we can try. Thanks

The EQ built into the Type AL (the bits left of the output terminals) rings and gives it a howl in the register of a French Horn.  Build anything else.  The Type AL also uses an apparently unique autoformer for the squawker, Type T3A.  Lacking other information, I'd use it as is in a Type AL-3.  The changes will be small.  Use film and foil caps if you can.  You can save some money by using metallized film caps, like Solen, in the woofer circuit.  There is no need to make dual inputs like this AL-3. 

Klipsch_AL3_CKT.gif

On 2/26/2019 at 4:22 PM, Alexander said:

and he wants to just do a basic re cap just to have a starting point.

That won't help.  The caps on the AL don't go bad.  The old oil filled caps on the AA's needed replacement after 20 years but the AL's don't have the same type.  IMO putting money into the AL is putting good money into bad.  Changing out the caps will not make it sound any different.

I might suggest looking on the used market for some used AA's.  They are often available because owners have bought replacement XO's from Crites and upgrades, such as the Crites A/4500.

If you think yo want to do that, put a WTB ad in the Klipsch Garage Sale section.  I bet a lot of guys here have them sitting on their shelves.