Plz Help me! My DVD playback is mussed up!!

Chan

I know this is not the forum for DVD technical support but you guys seem to play alot of DVDs so I have to ask here.

I use PowerDVD, my DVDs would studder and pause often during playback, I have tried everything to fix this. From enabling Hardware Acceleration, tweaking BIOs, and ripping out the broad wires on the back and plugging it back in, but still no go.

I have this 12x DVD-ROM drive, I do not know the exact model.

Has anyone else had this problem playing DVDs on their computer and wish to share their solution to this problem??

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Athlon XP 1800 1.53GHZ

512 DDRRAM PC-2100 Crucial

Geforce 4 Ti 4600

12x DVD Rom

Asus A7V-266 Motherboard

Sound Blaster Live! Value 1024

and.... Klipsch Promedia 4.1!! i have alot more jealous friends after I got these sexy pieces

I have enabled DMA, from the System Properties/Device Manager menu. It now says "Enable DMA if avalible" but the problem is still present. I have tried many things, but the DVD Drive still pauses and studders, right now I don't have a home theater system for my TV so thats why I watch my DVDs on my PC.

Thanks for the replies though. Further help would be greatly appreciated.

i had this problem when using the ati dvd player but then i started using the interactual dvd player and the problem was gone. i think it was because the graphics card's drivers weren't working probably, which made the hardware decoding rough. try using a different program. the interactual one is free. if you still have a problem i think updating you graphics card drivers might work also. the other thing is if you don't enough system resources available to play smoothly. but other recommendations already made should help with that.

I am using the 41.03Beta drivers and version 4 of PowerDVD.

I set my card settings back to default 300/650 after I found out it was set to 300/660.. it didn't help me all that much, the lag is not as severe though, but it is still enough to make anyone mad...

Sigh.. I don't have any hope anymore, this is extremely frustrating.

What speed is your RAM set to? Try setting it to 200. Try different drivers for IDE, VIA should have some previous versions on their website. Oh, how I hate VIA chipsets, I've been down this road before, lots of trouble with VIA all the time. Ever since I switched to Intel chipset and Pentium IV, everything works, no more audio/video and other peripherals incompatibilities.

By the way, did DVD playback work correclty before?

I give up with this DVD drive, I never was too happy with this thing anyway. So I brought a shiny new Sony 16x DVDROM and a nice ACER 16x12x48 CDRW drive, its about time I get a burner.

After I get this new drive, my dvd should work correctly I think. Thanks very much for the help guys.

O.k. this also may sound dumb but when I first tried to play a DVD in my (then) brand new 1998 Dell PIII 600MHz (32meg video and now 768meg-SDRAM) it would not play the disc until I backed down the video from 32-bit to 16-bit. But something tells me I'm just spinning my wheels with the advances in technolgy since then.