Klipschorn mod results

Jim Cornell

Im sure some of you here are saying my god why did he destroy his Klipshorns?

Well i didnt, it only took me 3 hours to do this mod, my horns didnt have tops, grills, or side grills, the old top front actually fell off when i unbolted my K-400!

The sound now is so clear, and smooth, i dont know if ill ever put them back to original!

I will keep all the original parts YES!

I thought of doing this for months, but i didnt want to mess with my Klipshorns, i atually was against it!

Im glad i did it!

The tweeters are high, i wanted more separation rather than placing them inside the Altec horns, or placing them right above them!

The taller front seems to give the Klipshorns more bass, along with the mid smoothed out, that also helps!

These are 5FT 2 1/2 inches tall!

The Altec horn is placed about the same height as the K-400, it doesnt look like it is, its so much taller!

I might box the top end in, ive been tossing that around!

Although it looks really cool the way they are!

I also placed the Klipsch emblems on the top middle part of the bass bins, i like them on black!

If anyone is willing to modify a $6,500.00 set of speakers, its worth it!

Gotts go to work,

Regards Jim

1.gif

Jim,

It's ugly, but I definity believe that it sounds super! I think you could make it very pretty by moving the tweeter down next to the 511 horn and mounting it vertically. It will have better dispersion that way too! Build two curved boards, position them above and below the horn and stretch grill cloth over them. It will look fine. You will need to replace the plywood with something that has nice woodgrain on it though. Look at what I have done to my center Belle Klipsch.

Al K.

Al

1/2 a sheet of oak ply cost me $50.00, i think ill leave them alone, my wife likes the look of the altec horns, believe that LOL!

Jim

1.gif

WOW nice belles excellent job, i can only do so much with 3 kids running around me!

My Klipschorns look like the old realistic mach ones with a tweeter above the horn LOL!

The sound is extrodinary!

As far as looks, well, theyll never get stolen, the Klipshorns original werent very good looking with no grills you know?

AL

How much are your ALKs for Klipschorns?

E-mail me

Jim9.gif

Hey al, moving the tweeter beside the altec horns isnt such a bad idea, then ill just cut the tops down!

Outer left and right, beside the horns?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I modified my Klipschorns as well only I used ALK crossovers and Altec 805b horns and 288k drivers. I also put in EV T-35 for the tweeters and rewired with DH Labs wire. Now I am braver than you. I bought my speakers new in Jan 2000 and they lasted a month in stock form.

What I like about the Altec 805b horns are they have a 1.4" throat. When you play a sax you can alomost feel the spit.

Enjoy the horns.

Mark

I did build the Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs and found them to be better than the Cary SE2A3's. The Moondogs were built with the "ultimate" upgrade and I am using Sylvania VT-231's, Sovtek 2A3's and Mullard rectifier. The bass and the mid range improved significantly with the Moondogs.

As far as the Altec 805b horns and the 288k drivers, I found them to be very smooth especially with the ALK crossover.

Good listening.

Mark

Edster,

I have another pair of Altec 805b horns in very nice condition if you are ever in the market. I bought three pair over the years and my father is using a pair on his Khorns with 288 drivers too. My dad is 77 and has been an audiophile since 1948. He bought his Khorns in the 60's and has updated them with ALK crossover and updated the woofer serveral years ago.

Mark

Mark,

I'm in the market for another pair of 805B horns.

I just picked up another pair of the 288-16k drivers. I need a horn for my center channel.

If the price is right I may take them, why don't you email me.

Is your father the one on the board who calls himself Marks Dad or father?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I just updated my CD player with the AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with the Tjo upsampler. My other CD player was the AH! Tjoeb 99. Although the old CD was very good the new one with the upsampler is superb. I use Siemens CCa 6922's.

I will sell a pair of 805b's. The horns are Altec grey in very nice/excellent condition and include the throat for the 1.4" driver such as the 288 or 291's. I would entertain offers if anyone is so inclined. Since they are rather large and cumbersome I suspect the shipping and boxing is somewhat pricy. I would have them packed professionally to avoid any damage in shipment.

My words can't explain how good and improved by Khorns are with the addition of the ALK crossover, the Altec 805b horns and the 288 drivers. The EV T-35's were a slight improvement.