Starting to buy home theater components

sire

Hello fellow Klipsch owners

I finally have started to purchase some home theater components. My entire stereo consisted of an old Pioneer Receiver (SX-950) and a couple of Klipsch SB-3 Speakers. My space is limited but after listening to and reading numerous positive reviews I upgraded the SB-3s to a couple of Reference RB-5IIs speakers. Now I am looking where to look for an AV receiver. I was convinced to go the Denon 3803 route but now I am not sure. I guess I am looking for the best all around receiver as it is important to me the system has a good sound for music as well as watching dvd movies.

Lately I have seen people raving over the sound from Marantz, Harman Kardon, and Pioneer Elite. Probably will be a while before I can purchase a subwoofer and surround speakers. I am looking for a receiver that compliments my RB-5 speakers. Budget for a receiver is in the neighborhood of $1000. Thanks in advance for any opinion, positive or negative, as it has been quite a while since I have been able to show an interest in this area. Ha, Ha, about since the receiver I have was new in fact.

Mike

If maybe you want to save some considerable cost, I have a used Yamaha RX-V795 I am ready to sell, and thought I would make it available to HT forum before listing on ebay. It's a healthy 85 wpc, owners manual and universal remote included. You can find it at;

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gAVR00010RX-V795

I have two HT setups and one must go. I'm going to keep the smaller RX-V595 which still pumps plenty of power but less features than the RX-V795. Email me if interested at edmond@pcmagic.net.

Klipsch out.

Here are some observations:

1. Denon 3802 now 03 is probably the most frequently mentioned AVR under $1k.

2. The Yamaha RX-V1 seems like a good value at ~ $1k--formerly selling at $3k. I'd be interested in feedback on how it compares to the 3802.

3. The Outlaw 1050 is available used for $400 or less. I don't perceive the other sub $1k receivers have a huge sound improvement although the surround modes are getting dated. At $400 I thought I'd start here until I could move up to seperates.

4. Seperates seem to be the big jump in improvement...not choosing between Denon/Pioneer/Marantz etc in the $600-$1k AVR.

The Outlaw 950 and matching amp is notably lower priced than others by B&K, Rotel, etc. I haven't heard any so I can't comment, but at $900 the 950 surround seems like a good start as opposed to starting with a $1k AVR and adding amps over time. I was thinking of upgrading to the 950 and then adding a used 5-channel amp for around $600. That could get me into seperates for $1550. I could upgrade amps to the 950 over time.

5. B&K seems like a good brand for seperates if you have more to spend.

Hey Moodym

Glad to see you are able to get bach into the hobby. I reccomend not getting hung up on price so much as features. Try to anticipate what you are going to expect from your receiver over the next few years and base your choice with that in mind.

Analog passthrough, componet video switching, DAC quality, etc. Many of these major brands provide solid products, listen and play around with them. Some are easyier to use, have more user friendly remotes, etc, etc.

Let us know what you have looked at & what you like and don't like. Good luck1.gif!

for music, the best receiver around are the B&K, I don't know the model name by heart, but I also consider to be the greatest receiver of all time. They are built like a tank with their big thick solid face plates (my little B&K preamp is 18 poounds alone), and they sound great witch is the most important. I believe their website is www.bkcomp.com . I strongly reccomend them over hk or denon. I feel they give much more performance for the dollar because they're not yet one of those things that hunderds of thousands of people have (like here on the klipsch boards and peopel with their denon receivers). So, because they aren't the mass produced and marketed stuff yet, they are much cheaper, and also sound very good. another company to try is Rotel, those are also very nice. www.rotel.com . The other thing I like about both of these companies is that neither of them try to be really flashy and stuff like the hk and stuff. They are just simple, and clean looking.

Moody,

You will probably not be disappointed with any of the brands mentioned here. I would suggest that if possible, go ahead and get a good sub and a good center channel speaker even if it means waiting on the surround speakers. The front 3 and sub are crucial to your a/v experience. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Dan