why people like denon?

prodj101

I am just curious why everyone here that isn't buying a seperates system is 100% set on a denon receiver. There are really alot of other things that are better. For example, the B&K Receivers, which are actually cheaper than the Denon's, but truely a better receiver. There's also the Rotel receivers, which are also comporoable, at a very cheap price. Than, the Sunfire receiveris by far better, same price, but you all always look over everything else! I just don't get it. I think it's just to say that you own a denon instead of a name that not everyone know's like B&K or Rotel (which is actually cooler I think because than you donj't have the same thing as virtually everyone on the forum).

----------------

On 10/31/2002 5:09:27 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

I've been a member for about two years, (?I think?), and during that time I've noticed different brands popping up above the radar screen... The "big three" seem to be Yahama, Sony, and Rotel. I'm not sure why...

----------------

Ray-looks like you been a member longer than that (9/09/99).

Time flies when your havin' fun right2.gif

Jeff

The reason being that at the time when I was shopping for something to replace my aging Yamaha RV-702, the Denon AVR3802 was the best thing I could find in my price range. The B&K and others where too expensive and I just did not want to spend that kind of money on them, not to mention that there where no dealers around that had them (although I'll admit there where no Denon dealers around either, thus having to order it over the 'net).

I am certainly not doubting that the B&K or the Rotel may be better. I did finally get to hear one when a dealer finally opened up in this area and I'll admit that I was impressed (although it was hooked up to some Sonus Faber speakers, which are some nice speakers themselves, but would like to hear it on my Klipsch). I'll also admit that B&K is definitly one brand I am looking at when it comes time to ditch the Denon and move to seperates. I'll also admit that just last week, I was playing with a Denon AVR5803 and the salesman I was BSing with indicated that if I was going to spend that kind of money on a reciever, to take a look at the B&K reciever, thus the oppurtunity to listen to one.

However, again, the main reason I have the Denon was because in my opinion, it was the nicest, the best sounding, plus had the features I was looking for in a reciever, for the price I was willing to spend - not just to say that I have "Denon". Believe me, I looked at several recievers from Kenwood, to Sony, to Onkyo, to H/K, and of course, Yamaha (since I already had one) and finally Denon. If I wanted to go by name only, I would have just got some damn Bose and been done with it - would have made shopping for speakers/reciever much easier.

In the case of the $4300plus reciever, I was playing with a Denon 5803 until the saleman showed me B&K's latest toy. To be honest, I most likely would have gone with the B&K. It was indeed an impressive reciever. However, right now, I am going to milk my Denon AVR3802 for all its worth for the next few years, then most likely get seperates.

i cant understand either, seperates are really not that much more expensive? but the difference in sound is massive, once i hooked up my speakers to my rotel it seemed as if i were listening for the first time. i have had most of the other equipment at 1 time of another, and just listening to them i knew that they were just stepping stones, they all lacked in something, some lacked in many things, but seperates, now thats where it is at, there is no way i can adequatly describe the diffrences, and i dont mean to slight the recievers, but i wish i knew then what i know now, it would have saved me hugh bucks12.gif

I prefered Denon from my auditions. I spent quite some time before reaching the decision and listened to quite a few units. Unfortunately B&K was not one of them.

The simple answer for me is that the Denon (3802) was the best bang for my buck, matched better than others (excluding Rotel - more on that later)with my Heresys and had decent to excellent reviews as a pre for when I might move to separates. My ears said the closest comparison was Yamaha and the worst two (deadheat) were Outlaw and Sony (please - no bashing, this is my humble opinion). I really liked the Rotel sound, but got confusing implementation solutions and decided that a Rotel product may well be part of my choices after I educate my ears and move to a separates route. The sales folks I met had a tendency to be self righteous and more interested in pontification than in education.

So my education quest continues and this addictive hobby will probably get more dollars from me to move to separates down the road. To date, the Denon has been an outstanding choice.

Denon's are not the best bang for their buck. They're anything but that! rotel and B&K receivers are considerably cheaper, yet much higher quality. And who needs all the flashy gimicks of those huge receivers anyways? not like we all have 7 video sources to hook up at once anyways. lets see, if you own every new game system, which would be 3, than if you own a DVD player, a VCR, and Laser disc players, you might be getting close, but who owns all of that stuff? I am pretty sure it actually has more than 7 video inputs, once you include S video and component and everything I think it's more up around 15 or something.

Pricewise Rotel is not cheaper than the comparable Denon model. The cheapest Rotel Receiver listed on their web pageRSX-1055 ($1299-MSRP) BUT Each of the five internal power amplifiers delivers 75 watts per channel RMS into 8 ohms, all channels driven, and up to 135 watts per channel under dynamic conditions. For 6.1 and 7.1 channel operation, simply add another Rotel stereo power amplifierOOOPS. (Dont worry thats a mere $399..minimum) compare that to the Denon 3802 ($999 MSRP) 7 Channels equal power amplifier section 110 watts per channel. No extra amp required for 7.1 operation.

When I made my receiver selection I thought Rotel was a brand of tomatoes with green chiles. The Denon I selected (3802) was in the right price range, had the features I wanted, and had great reviews from owners...with the exception of the user's guide from hell.

Will I upgrade some time? Yes! To what? When? I dunno.

Ok - Proj made me countem:

Video:

TV

DVD

VCR

Satellite #1

Satellite #2

Cable

Speakers:

Front 2

Center 1

Sides 2

Rear 2

Remote 2

Audio only:

Turntable

CD

Tape (soon gone)

Tuner (does that count if it is part of reciever?)

Remote out to Reciver downstairs

I really should stay at home so no one catches what I have....

Yeah - I am overboard.

Still have DirectTV for Sports, Dish for movies and the primary broadcast stuff comes with cable for easy distribution to the rest of the house (6 more TVs). Since cable came with a box I used for kiddie control on main set, I run through reciever for recording purposes only. TV is only through reciever for some tricked up stuff I tried with a laptop.

Not smart in all setups, but my last post was more with a wink about me being way out of line - and I had you to thank for the count by your mentioning the 15 video connections. By the way, while there is some 15 video connections many are just composite versions of the same stuff.

Look - I am not itching for a fight here. I really like what I got and my original post said all I meant to (the second was more of a pitiful example of my goofiness). My setup is four Heresy (front and sides), AR2C Center, Infinity rear, Heresy Porch and SVS 20-39pci. A hand made K-77, K-55, Type E crossover, plus some couple of woofers (unknown at present) is the center in the making (my first DIY).