A guy offered some speaks out of the trunk of his car????

elgrillo

Around here they sell Digital Audio Speakers. You can find them on ebay all the time. Probably from poor suckers who bought them out of the van and are trying to get rid of them. Home Theater Magazine bought a pair a while back and did a review on them. When they opened them up they found that there was not even a crossover inside the cabinet. The woofer and tweeter were both wired full range. The company that makes these speakers markets their product in this way to make people think they are getting a good deal, perhaps "hot" speakers.

Synthfreak,

What did you just say?????? 6.gif

"Yeah the ever-popular "white van scam". I believe this started in the UK YEARS ago. I had a guy in a danky truck try to sell me some huge crappy looking speakers a few weeks ago. The brand was Dunlavy. They had to be like 6ft tall. I think they were the SC-6 model. He said they were too heavy to carry up the stairs to his second story apartment. He wanted $200 for both of them and I just laughed and said "Man I'm not that stupid!". "

Are you doing drugs or are you joking!?

You say someone wanted to sell you real Dynlavy SC-VI for how much...$200!!!!!!!!!! And you did what...not buy them! A. You dont know speakers or B. You are joking(I think you do)

Let me tell you someting mister the Dunlavy SC-IV puts ANY Klipsch speakers EVER and I mean EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER to shame. Mister with all the respect I have for Klipsch(and I own a goooooooooooooood few Klipsch speakers and heard the K-Horns and Cornwalls with Cary/Audio Research and CJ tube amps.

If you had the SC-IV in perfect(or even near perfect)condition I would buy them for $8000US(yes eight thousant US dollars) RIGHT NOW.Hear me These amazing speakers are worth all the $25000 retail price,simply put some of the best sounding speakers at ANY price and compete with ANY cost no object designs.

I auditioned the Dunlavy SC-V with ubber end Wadia CD transport/DAC and Reference Audio Research tube preamp and the two matching monoblocks and the sound was not just good,it was heaven.These huge speakers disapeared from the room and the music as performed in the room!That is how good these Dynlavy's are!In fact they whooped the highly regarded Wilson WATT/PUPPY V/Mark Levinson system and a Krell/Martin logan system I auditioned(and I did spend a few hours with each).SO you must be joking

For $200 I would crawl on ice and broken glass to get them.The Dunlavy SC-VI is a revelation for the hordes of non believers who hear them.They image like the finest minimonitors,habe delicate detail worthy of the most revealing electrostatics and a pure midrange to die for.And bass that is just real,no boomy artifacts,in the end they are so transparent.You would never guess by looking at these monsters.

I take the Dynlavy SC-VI over any Dynaudio besides the Evidence Master!They are that good

Wow.

That's what i call time alignment!

Dunlavy does put out a SC-VI.A.

And I quote;

Freq Response- 18-20

2 15" carbon fiber woofs.

2 8" cast basket mids.

1 1" com text dome tweet.

Weight- 550 lbs a piece.

List price-$26,995 a pair.

Those that you're talkin about look a bit different, though not too much.

I wonder?4.gif6.gif2.gif10.gif

A professor of mine described the "watch scam" which was on the streets of Chicago at the time. Of course it continues. Someone had complained about street people selling stolen goods.

The seller slides up to a mark walking along minding his own business. The seller shows a watch in a box with a high price tag and offers it for a fraction of that.

The mark probably thinks it is stolen, but this is a good buy. The gullable may buy, only to later find it is a piece of junk.

The police can't do too much because the watch is not stolen, it is just cheap junk with high price tag. The mark is not in a position to complain to the cops. He can't say "I thought it was an expensive, stolen watch."

It seems to me that similar things go on with discounted trademark goods in other settings. Counterfeit goods are sold with a hint that they are hot, hence the low price. The marks would not stoop to buying counterfeit but will go for stuff that is a little warm.

Gil

EAR !!

Quit Farking about and tell us how you really feel about the Dunlavy's 9.gif

AKA I agree that our friend is having a little fun with us and perhaps trying to point out that these thieves are playing name games:

Audiophile becomes audiofile

Danmark becomes Denmark

Acoustic Research becomes Acoustic Response

Klipsch becomes Klips

AST ,( A well known but deceased maker of computers), becomes AST audio

ADSL is a frequently heard high-tech term these days

Snoop Doggy Dogg is a well known rapper

Anything Digital is somehow high tech

The point is that the creeps behind this scam are smart enough to know that the average consumer has on rare occasions seen reference to the quality brand names /high tech buzzwords mentioned above and that some of them will fall into their snare because the name is familiar and somehow associated with high quality and high cost. The mark is also placed in a very uncomfortable position as the goods being offered are either being represented as stolen or mistakenly in the possession of a dishonest employee. In either case the mark will feel some guilt but feel that he/she FINALLY has a chance to make a score. VENGENCE IS MINE SAYETH THE RAPEE !!

Unfortunately they get screwed yet again. The upside of all this is that if they have a crappy stereo with crappy speakers then they might actually experience improved sound and if they were able to get this garbage for a couple of hundred $$ - They might actually be getting a reasonably good deal.

I admit to the tomfoolery. Noone said anything at first so I thought I'd throw a picture up here for anyone not acquainted with these beasts. Quite obviously NOT "outta the trunk" speakers. Did I even mention the 2 Krell Master Reference amps($120,000 retail each) he was offering to throw in to sweeten the deal? ;-)

I wanted to give you guys an update on the guy that approached me last week. You aren't going to believe this, because I sure as hell didn't, the same guy approached me today AGAIN, ablbeit in a different location. The same freaking scum bag came up and told me the same line. I told him "don't you remember me from last week?", "how can you live with yourself?" he said nothing and then drove away. So its now 100% that this guy is a major lowlife. I really don't understand how they can go around doing that when there are so many other ways to make an honest living. Hell being a pimp is more honest than this bastard. Its so hard to understand the scum of the earth. Makes me kinda sad inside. WHy must we do this to each other?15.gif

So maybe there are only a few dozen of these speakers.

The buyers find they are worthless, and then figure the only way of unloading them is to rent a white van, and sell them under the same circumstances in which they bought them. These exist forever in time. Except, as mentioned, sometimes E-Bay is the van.

The speakers themselves are destined to roam the back roads in the back of white vans without a home. Like the Flying Dutchman.

Gil

But at least the speaker-selling dude isn't abusing the speaker and ruining its life (and if he is, who cares - it's inanimate). Pimps, OTOH,....

----------------

On 11/5/2002 11:18:49 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

So maybe there are only a few dozen of these speakers.

The buyers find they are worthless, and then figure the only way of unloading them is to rent a white van, and sell them under the same circumstances in which they bought them. These exist forever in time. Except, as mentioned, sometimes E-Bay is the van.

The speakers themselves are destined to roam the back roads in the back of white vans without a home. Like the Flying Dutchman.

Gil

----------------

Gil - I think the same phenomenon applies to fruitcakes, and 'tis the season upcoming!