For those who are considering a new preamp/processor

Kain

Kain,

I have the 1066 and it is awesome. A step up from every receiver i have ever heard.

Here is my setup:

Rotel RSP 1066 pre-amp/processor

Rotel RMB 1075 - 120x5 @ 8ohms THX Ultra Certified

Rotel RB 981 - 130X2 @ 8ohms

Yamaha DVD C920 Progressive scan/dvd-audio

Klipsch RF3II's - Mains

RC3II Center

Klipsch KSF 8.5's(towers) - Side surrounds

Klipsch RB3 - Back surrounds

SVS 20-39 PC+

Dalton

Agree with Dalton that, at its price point, the 1066 is a fantastic deal. Wonder why they didn't include the Outlaw. Interesting that the 1066 is the only one that offers HDCD decoding. But, if price weren't a factor, there are, in all honesty, some there that I'd choose over the Rotel. Dalton is right though, it is much more refined than any receiver's processing I've used, albeit I have only owned a few receivers. I've yet to hear a receiver that could touch it in this regard as far as two-channel sound.

Danbry,

I just got the 1066 yesterday. I can't check the firmware because the front panel display will not come on. I had to set everything up in the onscreen menu. I called my dealer and he is gonna swap it out for me early next week.

Also, I just upgraded my speakers tonight. I went from the RC3II to the RC7(WOW what a difference)and RF3II's to RF5's. I was able to take advantage of a trade in deal to upgrade. Out of pocket expense was pretty reasonable. I brought the RC7 home tonight but the RF5's won't be in until tuesday. In regards to receivers vs. processors, I have had the following receivers in my system over the past year:

Marantz SR 7200 - Very musical, not as great on HT(I'm about 80%HT).

Denon 3802 - Good on HT, not very musical.

Onkyo 797 - Very good on HT, music was decent.

Pioneer Elite VSX 45tx - weak amp section, very good processing(external amp recommended)and the Auto MCACC calibration feature is excellent.

I have used all of the above with and without external amps and none comes close to matching the processing and sound quality of the Rotel 1066. The detail and soundstage easily surpass any of the above receivers. The phrase "it really opened up the sounstage" now makes sense to me. I have heard over and over that a dedicated pre/pro is better than a receiver and now i believe. 1.gif

http://www.prillaman.net/950_chart.html

This link has a similar matrix but it includes the OUTLAW and their matching amps.

The Rotel is $1500 vs $899 for the Outlaw 950. I'm not sure which is the better preamp but if similar the extra cash saved with the Outlaw can be applied towards getting amplification.

The Outlaw seems like a good unit and at $899 it's tempting to move up from the sub$1k receiver space and add a used $600 5-channel amp.

Any feedback on the Outlaw from Klipsch users?

Dalton,

Here is something for you to think about.

I don't do multi-channel, but for a year -- I ran RC7's as my speakers in a two channel setup. I couldn't afford the RF7's, so I bought the RC7's, twirled the horns around, and put them on stands (upright). It was a way to get the massive horns of the RF7 without the cost. Now, consider that two RC7's cost the same as two RF5's. Since you are running SVS, you COULD run 3 RC7's across the front -- which would be nothing short of incredible.

If you do a search on RC-7, I'm sure you'll run across my posts regarding the set up.

Are you thinking?9.gif

Dean,

You are reading my mind! I was tossing that idea around to my friend yesterday! He thought i was nuts! How did they sound for music? Are the horns in the RC7(same as RF7 of course) better than the RF5's horns? They would be a perfect match up front. THX recommends the front 3 to be exactly the same. I think i might just do this! It will actually be marginally less expensive for me. Also, they should be able to handle the punishing volume levels i sometimes play. Ideas, comments? Thanks for getting my wheels spinning Dean!

Dalton

----------------

On 11/2/2002 2:26:20 PM danbry39 wrote:

Wonder why they didn't include the Outlaw. Interesting that the 1066 is the only one that offers HDCD decoding.

----------------

That chart existed long before the Outlaw was a reality and it was never updated. I believe there are some other minor errors, like # of inputs on certain competitive units that may NOT be exactly correct; it is correct for the most part though. My 1066 still (rev 1.45) has problems locking into HDCD on certain CDs on the first song, resulting on losing the first couple of notes. I read on a different thread, someone having a MUCH worse time with the HDCD decoding. My issue is strictly on CERTAIN HDCDs, and only on the first song. If money was not a consideration, I would seriously consider the newest Anthem. If you own matched speakers, the Rotel will satisify all but the sickest soles.

There isn't a risk with the Outlaw. If you get one and don't like it (ie you think it has hiss or think it's not as good as you thought), you can send it back. SInce you can't audition them at a store their return policey is pretty friendly.

The hiss issue was with those sold in the first few months of product release. Those customers with the hiss issue can their units replaced. The new ones shouldn't have the hiss problem--and if they did you can return it and buy another brand.

So the question remains...wouldn't the 950 be a better value than the Rotel and others? Money is a variable...you can't ignore it, and the Outlaw is $600 cheaper! So I would want to feel pretty darn clear that the Rotel (etc.) sounds better and/or has more features.

I'm looking at down the road options to upgrade from my Outlaw 1050 (ie Rotel, B&K, etc.) but the move to seperates is a huge dollar jump. I'm also thinking of just keeping the Outlaw 1050 (or 3802 for more modern surround proc) and focusing on a good tube amp for 2-channel. I'm currently building a Dynaco ST-70/PAS3.

If I decided to buy a new pre/pro, I'd probably by one from a store and the Outlaw 950. I'd then return the one I liked least.

----------------

On 11/3/2002 4:11:48 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

and the Outlaw is $600 cheaper!

----------------

Fair or NOT, there is always going to be a certain stigma surrounding the 950 and the hiss issue (and most likely will affect the resale value). I have never heard the unit and am unqualified to comment. I CAN state that the 1066 'can' be had for less than $1275 in certain states in the US. The only feature that I feel is missing from the Rotel unit (Outlaw too?) is per channel parametric equalization. This is a non-issue is you have fully matched speakers. Then there is the whole double bass issue... another non-issue for me at least. Who knows, two years from now, mass market items may sound better!

I am also in the market for separates. Considering Rotel based on positive responses from this forum. My RF-7's are currently being shipped. Once I get them in my house I will start the audition process. As for Outlaw and their hiss and the sensitivity of Klipsch speakers, well needless to say I will be looking @ Rotel, B&K or Sunfire.

as you can see i am a roteler, but i do have questions, for 1 what is firmware, 2 when using preset 3 on my tuner it blinks on and off 3 times (allowing for me to enter 2nd number for preset) but! once it does this it takes a short pause than assumes normal play, anyone know what this is, preset 3 is the only preset this occures on