Friends, Ruminants & Contrarians...

HornEd

Well, Ranger Six, I came, I saw, and now I am wrestling with the conquered part. While I am not a member of that big Blue Ridge Mountain inspired Ranger tradition my years of military service brought me behind the lines where I sure could have benefited from your kind of training. My job was as a specialized kind of medic and many a Ranger I have met and help survive. They have been some of the most fun loving and tough as nails folks I have ever encountered. As an an American and a vet of overseas hotspots, I feel safer knowing that the stream of Rangers continues to flow... now that we oldsters have passed on the torch. Thanks, Ranger Six, to you and your buddies. -HornED

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read you loud and clear on Art's "Old Friends." I understand your concern for potential progeny. I have one son and he is probably one of the most aware thirty-four year olds on the latest research on diabetes. I have a family history of type 1 diabetes and have had type 2 diabetes for about a decade or so before I was self diagnosed and entered the emergency room where my blood glucose was logged at 586 mg/dL. Many of the side effects that you mention have been part of my day-to-day living experience... and, yes, it is not fun.

This year, I have started a new regimen of my own design which is based upon conventional medical research that I have access to as a former health professional. Although there are many battles to be fought... not the least of which is uninformed docs, I have been fortunate to gain on many fronts. Of course, pushing the envelope gets me in trouble from time-to-time but, as you know, not pushing it is no picnic either.

One of the conclusions that I have made is that taking in more food when your blood glucose is over 120 mg/dL doesn't make any sense. So, I take nothing but water until I have used up the surplus glucose in my blood. Since starting this regimin this summer, I have lost 9 inches from my waistline and about 10% of surplus me. I continue to try to get more and more exercise but it isn't easy... and often lands me flat on my back for awhile in or out of the hospital.

I understand your daily battle and wish you well. More later, I need to get some rest. -HornED

Thanks for the thoughts, Boomer. I'll bet Justin can send you a copy of your Santa. Oh, and by the buy, I have indeed tried the Velo *wink*, *smile*, and gave it to a family member as I delved into the lower ranges of non-servo based subs. For many reasons, the HGS 18 is one of my very favorite boxes... as I have mentioned to Boa on many posts. My problem with the Velo is that they clamp some of the intended program material to stay within their low distortion levels and to protect the integrity of the Velo system. But, make no mistake, though I may be a nit picker in my personal systems... I am still a big Velo fan. And, frankly, my 7' stack of SVS Ultras provide more pure bottom scraping pleasure. -HornED

PS: You can add a 16" *smile* and seven feet of *winks* as I continue to explore my bass instincts. H.E.

Jim, I have a long, dark tunnel to run through over the next few months. I cannot be sure of my ability to exchange ideas on the Forum... but I didn't want to just drop out of print without expressing some of my appreciation for all that the Forum has meant to be. I know that you and yours have had your fair share of medical battles... and then some. Reading your posts have been fun and enlightening. Your zeal for Cornwalls hellped push me to buying a pair... which created the fuel for me to get back into the Heritage side of the world. Rest assured that the lonely push that I am about to take will be wrapped in the comfort of a daily dose of Klipsch speakers. It sure is reassuring to find so many Forum folk urging me on. Thanks one and all. -HornED

Congrats Justin!... now that your Klipsch classification is "In need of therapy" it would seem Heritage Klipsch are just what the doctor ordered. It is good to hear that your mother is doing well. Unfortunately, the doctors thought my long standing health problems were cardiac based and so my T2 diabetes went untreated for over a decade. Now I have a whole range of serious side effects and must concentrate on beating the odds of my prognosis. You can bet that if I can find time to be on the Forum I will. I am scheduled to spend a lot of time in the mountains trying to regain me health. It is a very aggressive program... maybe even too agressive for what's left of my once athletic body. One thing you can be sure of, I will be listening to Klipsch and thinking of all those issues and caring thoughts to which I have been exposed on this great Forum. -HornED

PS: If you can get the old Santa logo, Boomer would sure be pleased to get a copy. H.E.

HornED, Wow I don't know what to say. I had been thinking about you recently, however, I simply assumed you were off enjoying life traveling around. I am sorry to hear about your situation, I had no idea you were ill.

Take care of #1, relax and gain your strength back. Us newbies need all you knowledgable folks around. 1.gif

Thanks for the good words, m00n. First, I have to take time to bolster my health but I have been asked to drive up the Oregon coast and evaluate an Oregon site for a Renaissance faire. They had a trial faire for one weekend in a farmer's field near Eugene (without water or electricity) and it drew over 35,000 people. Who knows, maybe by Spring I will be within m00nwalking distance to your grand HT project. -HornED

Hey old buddy,

My thoughts will be with you everyday, not that they wern't already.

I'm still willing to bet you a pair of Klipschorns that you build our home Theater room before I do.

I'll scale down the drawings and post them to let others here see what we have been planning. If I'm not able to post them, I'll have someone on the forum do it for me.

Keep your Horns up.

Q.

Ed! Maybe we need to spill a bit more Cab on that K-shirt...can you still squeeze wine into your diet? Sorry to hear of your continuing health battles. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with...I'm just up 101 a bit, ya know! You still have my email & phone #?

Mrs. Fini and I would like to extend an invitation for dinner, audio fiddling, and quilt musings to you (and your Mom and son, if they're in town). I'm sure we could get C&S, and possibly mdeneen, to come by, too! If it's a Sunday, we'll probably take you over to Nonie's, for a good ol' Italian family dinner (a weekly tradition, at my Mother-in-law's).

Stay well, my friend!

fini

HornEd,

You are both one of the reasons I feel guilty moving away from Klipsch speakers and one of the reasons I plan to stay active on this forum.

As for your need for exercise I would imagine the spl you can generate from your multi KLF setup could give you quite a workout....

Sorry to hear you have been unwell - hope to hear how much better you are doing in the near future.

All the best.

Max

Your comments and the memories of our last meeting bring joy to my heart, fini. Growing up in the only non-Italian family on the block gave me an opportunity to have the tastes of the Lucca region as my earliest memories of comfort food... and even led to my first "horn" experience that sped my on a lifelong chase for sonic excellence and led to the "HornEd" of today. Surely, any opportunity to be with you, your family, and/or our mutual Klipsch Forum friends of the wine country is a treasure. But, to be invited to a Sunday dinner cooked Italian family style has become the rarest of treats... as this village of my birth has shifted its culinary base from the Italian boot to the Phillipine Islands. Enjoyable cuisine, indeed... but, alas, just not the comfort food of my youth. And the opportunity to add a new "Dago Red" stain along side of the Cab on my favorite Klipsch polo shirt may start a tradition worthy of my childhood experience in transferring wine from cask to bottle.

My father was a politician who had little time or inclination for fathering techniques... so my fatherly image became an "old" (late 40ish) Italian immigrant bachelor, Felix, who lived down the street and worked for the Buick dealer who lived next door to us. Felix was poorly educated, was illiterate in English, worked since childhood in a Lucca, Italy, winery... and came to this country seeking his fortune. In those days, the primary concentration of Italians was in San Francisco's North Beach area and the little hamlet of Colma, the nation's only "necratorium" and was, therefore, comprised mainly of cemetaries (largely staffed by Italian immigrant workers) and large fields of flowers primarily owned and operated by Italian immigrant families. Red table wine was affectionately called by the dubious name of "Dago Red" by the locals. One of the rarest and most prized of Dago Reds came from the tiny basement of my firend Felix. Since before prohibition, he had the wine press, oak barrels, syphon & corking equipment, to press, ferment, bottle and age his own farm wine to "Dago Red" perfection.

He traded his "Dago Red" for many of the small luxuries he enjoyed and gave bottles each Christmas to folks that helped him through the years. His fame as a maker of Dago Red even went past the bank manager of the local Bank of Italy to the table of A. P. Giannini its famous founder. Of course, when Giannini ran out of Italian immigrant depositors, he changed the name of his fledgling bank to the "Bank of America" and expanded into other small neigborhoods in an increasingly wider pattern. After tasting the wine, Felix got a hansome offer through Giannini to be in the wine making business but he declined prefering the new life that he was enjoying a day at a time. Felix taught me that the richess of a man ought to be above money, position and education... and, thus, have I been able to learn something from just about everyone I have met that would give me the time of day. Sadly, my own father rarely fit into that group in a positive way.

As I recall these rich, pre-kindergarten years, I remember not understanding why Felix preferred his red wine to the delightful Torani grenadine (made in the back room of a little North Beach Italian grocery since 1925) over ice splashed with highly charged seltzer from a glass syphon bottle... which to my young palate was the zenith of drinking delight! In those days, I was allowed to go on morning hunting trips with Felix in his Model A Ford, with the excited dogs eager for the hunt in a wooden crate tied to the back bumper. We were well equipped for the hunt, Felix with his double barreled 12 gauge and I with my highly polished rifle with its cork and string in place for the cottontail action. An exciting part of my childhood world... which is now a mall where youngsters can get their first hunting experience in a video arcade in the sprawling mall that was fields of flowers, artechokes and bunny filled hills and gullies. A place only a couple of miles from the "new" Torani syrup factory in South San Francisco... so I still can splash some over ice and fill the glass with homemade super seltzer thanks to the invention of the CO2 cartridge.

But, beyond the thrill to the aroma of burnt gunpowder in the cold morning fog... for soon "our" kill would become the anticipation of "Wild Rabbit and Polenta - Tuscan style" brought across the pond from Felix's boyhood in Lucca, Italy. Curiously, his favorite boyhood treat was grenadine too. Torani grenadine and other flavored syrups are made in South San Francisco, CA, form old Italian recipes in a plant that is just a couple of miles from my old pop-gun hunting grounds. How could I ever forget the succulent aroma of roasted cottontail mingled with fresh basil, oregano and rosemary? Of course, I was hard at work grating the Parmiggano Reggiano for the feast. And, as the platter was placed upon the table, Felix and I would attend to the last ritual before the feast. I did the cranking on an old Morning Glory Horn Victrola... and he placed the needle to one of his collection of Itallian operas that he had brought from Italy. That was my first horn experience... one that would lead me to chase the "Joy of Sound" to the ends of the earth... or at least to this Forum as HornED. It is why I bought my first monaural Klipschorn that, alas, was to large for me to carry overseas a few years later for my G.I. Joe stint. Like the Torani, I can still get the old thrill with my late 90's pair of Klipschorns with matching Belle center.

Ah, but back to my first wine soaked shirt experience. One morning, I was privileged to be in the wine cellar beneath his house as Felix was siphoning wine from a large oak barrel into freshly prepared, green tinged bottles. As a bottle was full, he would place the siphon hose in his mouth, clamping it off with his teeth as he inserted the cork and then laid the bottle aside to be aged in the always cool cellar. It was a pre-schoolers adventure into an adult world that few pre-schoolers are privileged to experience. I was the one that brought the fresh bottles to the table and stacked the newly filled bottles on the cart from where they would be laid away. Sometimes I was allowed to pull the lever with all my might to squeeze a fresh cork into a newly filled bottle.

Suddenly, the phone rang upstairs... Felix uttered a mild oath in Italisan... once started on a barrel he did not like to break the siphon until the barrel was empty. "No, no, Felix, don't break the siphon!" I implored... for I believed myself capable of continuing this noble work while he answered the phone. With some well deserved trepidation on his face, he allowed me to take his place and continue the wine bottling process... Wow, that was heady stuff for a four year old!!!

I remember the pride and the joy of doing a truly adult task. I remember the musty aromatics of an old wine celler against the pungence of fresh Dago Red. The glow of the single low watt bulb creating dancing shadows as it swung from the cellar rafters. The multicolored reds of the wine swirling down the green neck of the bottle until my deft little hand squeezed off the siphon so that nary a drop would reach the floor as I put the siphon to my mouth as I had seen Felix do. Then the task shifted to bringing all my strength to bear on the simplle lever corking device... and with each bottle my pride grew... but strangely my vision seemed to dim... in fact, all of my wine bottling skills seemed to be slipping away... and my visions of the process grew more surreal.

When Felix talked on the phone in his native language to one of his immigrant buddies... time was of little consequence. So, when Felix returned to the wine cellar he found his protoge with his shirt soaked in wine as I tried vainly to get the siphon hose in a new bottle... as it streamed wine everywhere else. That was the day I learned belatedly that Felix pinched the siphon off with his teeth rather than drinking the wine as I had done. I did not envy his task of trying to explain how her wine soaked (inside and out) preschooler got into that condition. Sadly, it began the beginning of the end of my fine days with Felix for he was never quite forgiven. That's when I learned that he should have been... and I began my dance with tolerance on the path to enlightenment.

Curiously, fini, the recent Northern Calikfornia Renaissance Pleasure Faire held at Casa de Fruta on the old Pacheco Pass Highway has a link with Felix, A. P. Giannini and Italian heritage. The lands that became Casa de Fruta and an agri-business giant were originally farmed by the Biseglia-Cribari family who had emigrated from Italy and were befriended by A. P. Giannini who loaned them the money from his Bank of Italy to start the Pacheco Pass empire and the vinyard where Felix had his opportunity to pursue his craft. Disney had it right... it is a small world after all.

I would welcome an opportunity to break bread with you and yours... even if it isn't Italian. I believe I lost your phone number and address when the Klez virus ate my primary pc's hard disk. So, if you could email me it again at eddennis@msn.com I would appreciate it. Of course, these days I can never be sure what condition my condion will be in on any given day... but let's see what we can make of it. Thanks for caring... and thanks for being the ubiquitous fini to so many fine posts. -HornED

Speaking of invitations from fini... I remember fondly an invitation by none other than maxg to visit one of my favorite cities, Athens, Greece. Max, I don't know if I had disclosed it when you extened your kind invitation, but had I not been already too ill for international travel, I would have been shaking your hand and, hopefully, visiting Christos and/or others in your audiophile set. And if I continue to improve... it may yet still happen.

Sometimes I feel like the fellow in the dungeon dangling from the iron straps around his wrist who turns to his similarly fated companion and whispers, "Now, here's my plan..."

While there still remains a lot of the "Made in America" spirit in Hope (AR), the truth of the matter is that part of the modern success in Klipsch is to use ingredients with an increasingly international flavor. It seems to be a necessary part of economic survival in the era of the global village. Far less contriversial is the enrichment that the Klipsch Forum has found in its increasing international membership. You, Max, stand out as a prime example how a strange person in a strange land can become a treasured participant in this Forum no matter how long it takes you to hew a pair of "Grecophile" LaScalas from Athenian marble!

You have had the courage and concern to share with us the ups and downs of your Klipsch experience, open a portal to auditory opulence that can be found in and about Athens, and provide keen insights into some of the controversial threads that go beyond the enjoyment of life through Klipsch to the living of life by trial, error, and sometimes blind bias.

Many of us appreciate your "sticking with the Klipsch Heritage" while living in a melting pot of some of the world's finest speakers and speaker aficionados. Sure, you could sell the Klipsch, house, car, wife and child to buy a world class two-channel system... but could that put horns in your ears, a roof over your head, bring you to your slipper store, warm the cockles of your heart or say "daddy" in Greek like your present equipment can? From what I have studiously read in your posts... I think not!

Please convey my best to Christos and all the rest of your audiophile cohorts who bring a deep-felt "WOW!!!" to this board from time-to-time... and I'll do my best to hand around as best as I can. Thanks for the encouragement... it puts me in the mood of Thanksgiving... a holiday that would do well in Greece... even if most of the turnkeys are on this side of the Forum. Be well. -HornED

They say what's good for the goose is good for the gander... but our Forum favorite drake deserves a cut above that. Doug, your prayers are welcome and especially appreciated in these days when pray is too often spelled with an "e" whatever the day of the week.

On a day like today when my self imposed regimen forbids be to eat until by blood glucose falls below 120 mg/dL, I know hunger and light-headedness that comes from cells that refuse to accept the nourshment that is already in my bloodstream with an abundance of insulin to facilitate the process. Probably not a good time to be writing without the aid of a proof reader and spell checker... but life, like reading this Forum, has its risks. I trust the intent can be seen through the errors that are hidden from my diminished consciouness.

And now for a brief audio aside... 2.gif I had the occasion to play the Eagles favorite, "Seven Bridges Road" on my Klipschorn based Heritage audio system (including the 7' subwoofer tower) to a die-hard Eagles concert goer. At the end of the set, I asked if she thought that the sound system was special. No, she replied, <:knockout;> it just sounds like being at an Eagles concert.

We could hardly have asked for a better retort... could we, Doug? Each time we bring a newbie into earshot of what PWK brought to our consciousness we strike a blow for sonic truth over the big Bose lie. Your participation on this Forum has long been an unpretentious mainstay to truth as you see it. Thanks for being there. -HornED

Ooops! I hit reply instead of edit. My intent was to apologize to all if the old HornEd experiences included in this thread had been rendered in previous posts. The "story-strainer" in the old bean is "a-gassed" (Ye brain-f-art factor?) but at least it may be fun for some newbies, lurkers or re-run addicts. May the muse descend with her opinion of a better 12 gauge wire recipe that this thread be invigorated anew! Sorry for the accidental "post" but glad to avoid the "mortem" part for now. Live well and dye Klipschirts. -HornED

PS: Any clues on better sig control? 15.gif

HornEd,

It's really good to see you back on the board. Like others have mentioned, I too thought you were doing something regarding the Renaissance Faire, and would be back when everything quieted down. I am very sad to hear of your physical problems, and only wish you the best of luck getting back on your feet again. I would also like to say good luck with your new business venture. I'm certain based on your past experiences, it will surely be a success...

Mike

Thanks Mike... those words are all the more meaningful because of my respect for their author. Fortunately, I did get the opportunity to do a lot for the recent Renaissance Faire... and to get even more out of it. The new business venture will do well if I can regain a bit more vitality. It is being designed to be successful without having me around. That is not meant to be morbid but rather the way I have built my business ventures for decades. It is one thing to be a spark plug in a hand-built one cylinder engine... but truly successful motors need to be built of interchangeable parts.

Although way behind in what's happening on the Forum, I did get to read some of the mind & equipment blowing saga of you and the Q-man on the road to audio nirvanna outside of Hope. Come to think of it, some of it seems to have something in common with a few old Road Pictures with Crosby and Hope.9.gif

As noted in that thread, the positioning and amp settings on SVS subs can make an earth shaking difference. The SVS design uses a lot of little things particularly well to create a way above average subwoofer at a less than expected price. Of course the bigger SVS becomes and the more overhead it has to eat the less attractive the pricing is likely to be. So, that's why I bought early and stayed late. I find my dual Ultras have no problem keeping up with my Heritage array and produce more earth shaking potential than my neighbors can enjoy. Be well. -HornED

He's back!!!!!!! (((((((((cyberhug)))))))))

Great to hear from you, Ed. I was with many others on the forum who thought you were simply traveling. Renaissance faires certainly bring back memories of my days performing in High School with our elizabethan group. Such experiences were crucial in my overall appreciation for the art of music - a gift in life that still gives, day after day. Wassail, Wassail:)

Your approach and opinions served as the roadmap to sonic bliss in my own system - it displays a very high standard to aim for. While my system by no means competes with yours, it was the inspiration for expanding my original idea of a two channel system - and taking it to 5 channels of absolute joy. Your desire to push the envelope shows that there are infinitely more options than simply accepting what is standard in the industry - giving all of us the determination to build something that is anything but standard.

I plan to be in San Francisco at the end of the year (Dec 28-31). I realize that is six weeks from now, but if you are feeling up to it, I would love to meet you and yours (I did post a request in General questions about this today). It would be a pleasure and honor to shake your hand and thank you, in person.

I join the chorus of our fellow forum members in wishing the best of health to you.

Ed,

Thank you for being such an pro-active member of this forum.

To me, your insight and wisdom are invaluble.

I have the utmost respect for you, sir.

Your well written posts, vast experience and impressively designed sound system are a good part of this reason why I gravitated here.

I'm not sure if that was good or bad thing, though. LOL

I think my co-dependant, cross addicted, over analytical audio disorder seems to be even more deeply engrained in me, due to this board.

You know, fuel for the fire. LOL

Seriously my friend, the last few months i've been hanging around here have been extremely rewarding to me.

Sometimes, when I know not exactly of which I speak, you have never discouraged me or my learning process. You have always been very decent.

I greatly appreciate that.

...and I just wanted to say, thanks.

IMHO. Gentlemen such as yourself, are just few and far between these days.

John.

P.S. My children-(chase 12 and allison 11) and all my friends here all extend our thoughts out to you.

We believe in you.

You will get through this.

Just keep on keeping on.

"Chin up, chest out, and stereo on"

....always sound advice.

BTW. I have never met an "Ed" that was a quitter or that I didn't like.

They all seem to have been driven people with ample character, good nature and a zest for life.

I guess you just can't keep a good ED down. 2.gif