Awia class law suit settlement

Stephen328

Just got a letter in the mail about an Awia CD player i bought a couple of years ago. Served me well up to a couple a months ago when i upgraded to my Pioneer (quite spiffy). Apparently theres been a law suit agianst Awia invloving their CD players not reading. Well, mines on the list, lucky me. After reading 4 pages of this lawsuit crap that could of been sumarized in 2 sentences, I discover Awia's gonna be in the hole 7 million. WoW! out of 7 million maybe theres a chunk in it for me. As i continue to read i find that theres 4 "remedies". Awia will pay for repairs that you have had on your equipment. Or if you have had no problems with your CD player..WOW.. a $10 mail in reabate off a $100 or more Awia purchase. What a deal! And i think that if i dont "opt out" i'll be involved in this law suit somehow. I dont know. lol. Anyone want $10 an Aiwa product?? lol.

----------------

On 11/9/2002 10:14:55 PM Stephen328 wrote:

WOW.. a $10 mail in rebate off a $100 or more Awia purchase. What a deal!

----------------

I bet the lawyers are gonna take their cut in the form of $10 rebates!

2.gif

The lawyers are the only winners in large class action suits.

Bash Away! ProDJ. lol. Yeah, Awia certianly dosnt make the best stuff. I must say though, my CD player served me well through its life. Audiovox is incredibly cheap. What annoys me are the Wal-Mart home theatre systems. Tiny little sattilites, and like a 5" "sub"woofer. They make bose look like Klipsch. Just kidding. I promise i will never use klipsch and bose in the same sentence again. Oh crap, i did it again. Ok I will never use those two words in the same sentence again. there better. 16.gif

I have an Aiwa DVD player and if I sold it for $10 I would probably feel like I was ripping that person off. It works great, when it wants too. Everytime I move, form college to home and back to college every year the damn thing won't work for a good 2 weeks. I just locks up when playing or won't start. The only button that works is power. So If I rent a DVD I have a serious problem cause it could get locked in my DVD player. I pack it in the original box and everything to protect it. I call Aiwa to see what to do and they say to leave it unplugged for an hour to let it reset itself. Well I do that for 2 weeks, plug it in, unplug it and then it will finaly work. Sometimes. Other times you'll be playing a movie and it will lock up after 5 minutes or even an hour. Boy does that just ever piss a guy off. Of course its out of its warranty so they want me to send it in. I paid $200 for it. It will probably cost $100 or more to get it fixed and ship it. Heck I could buy an excellent Toshiba DVD player for $128. Maybe santa will bring me a new one.

I have been told that Aiwa is made and owned by Sony. It is a brand that is so cheaply made that Sony will not put its name on it, if I am reading the tea leaves correctly.

There are much better brands available for the same money. The Toshiba mentioned above is an excellent example.

Bill

My girlfriend has a book shelf unit from them. She doesn't even all it a stereo but merely "The Aiwa". I'm in the same boat not wanting to tell her what a POS it is.

The cd player in it also went south about two years ago at the young age of 18 months. She bought an extended warrenty from Best Buy and got it fixed.....on the second try!! It's a 3 disc changer and would attempt to read all three discs and finally the carousel would just stop and do nothing.

Best Buy fixed it, why I don't dnow.