Two noob questions (RP-600M)

7h3C47

Completely new to this world, looking to set up my first ever hifi system this weekend.  Two hopefully-simple questions regarding the RP-600M speakers I purchased:

1) It's not clear to me how the banana plugs connect to the input terminals on the back of the speakers.  I can unscrew a threaded plastic nut to reveal the hole where you would insert the loose copper wire, but from videos I've watched online it looks like banana plugs are inserted straight into a hole almost like a headphone jack.  There is a plastic dome in the center of the nut which is presumably covering the place where a banana plug would be inserted.  Is that a 'cap' of sorts which is removable to reveal the hole into which a banana plug would be inserted? I haven't picked at the nut or that center piece as I don't want to accidentally break anything.

2) The speakers have dual input terminals.  Am I required to run both sets of cables to my amplifier in order for the speakers to work? I think the amp I selected only has one +/- input for each of the left and right stereo speakers; if both input terminals are required to use the speakers, do I need to find an amp that accepts two sets of cables per left and right stereo speaker?

Thank you!

@7h3C47,

Welcome to the forum.

1)On the very end of the speaker terminals  in the center are little round plastic "plugs" that need to be popped out revealing the holes where the banana plugs go.

2)Leave the jumpers attached and just use the top pair(black and red)) or the bottom pair(black and red).

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The plugs are evidently to accommodate regulations in parts of the world where mains power outlets are similarly configured.  Probably cheaper to buy/stock just one part for worldwide distribution, even if it adds a penny to the cost.  Don't bother saving them after you've popped them out.

• 4 years later...

How do you pop the caps out? I'm totally lost here. My 600Ms are beautiful...but they came with absolutely no instructions and it seems impossible to "pop the end off" to expose the openings for banana plug insertion. And...why are there 4 (2 black; 2 red) connectors???

• Moderators

Welcome

The little piece where the banana plug goes in pops out, they are pretty tough. I pushed the center out with something pointy ?

The 2 red and 2 black connectors should have a metal jumper between them (leave that) and use the top set or the bottom set, makes no difference with those metal jumpers connected. 

1 hour ago, Mogues said:

How do you pop the caps out? I'm totally lost here. My 600Ms are beautiful...but they came with absolutely no instructions and it seems impossible to "pop the end off" to expose the openings for banana plug insertion.

When I encounter them in amplifiers I use a drywall screw or similar to twist into the Euro safety plugs and pull them out.