7.1 / 7.2 Tube Surround Sound Processor ??

twistedcrankcammer

Good Morning everyone !!

I realize that generally speaking in a 2 channel system, a tube pre amp with a SS amp is considered superior to a SS pre with a tube amp.

Along that same thought process, I was wondering since I use my same system for both Movies and Stereo listening, does anyone make a good 7.1 / 7.2 tube Pre Amp or is a Marantz SS as about as good as I will find for this ??

Thoughts please ??

Roger

I use SS pre in 5.1 and HT mode but still run my tubes for the LR (at least for now) and let class D run the RL/RR/C

I think once we get into 5.1+, we need some room correction and timing capabilities... that's where the modern AVR is valuable. is there a modern tube pre with those capabilities? not sure, but I bet where there is a will there is a way, an expensive way.

• Thanks 1

A while back, when I used a Sony TA-E1000 ESD AV preamp, which has 2 front outs, I switched between a SS amp and a homemade 45 tube amp using a 4PDT toggle switch on the speaker wires. My goal in the late 80s, when I got started in surround sound, was to build a good audio system with video capability. Two La Scalas, an H1, four H2s, two Khorns, an Academy, and a Belle later, I think I'll probably end up using a 4PDT toggle switch again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mike stehr said:

Mike,

A little out of my league on price there. Guess I will limp along on SS a little while longer  :D

If my pockets were that deep, I would have a pair of Jubes or make a down payment on a Carver Silver 7, before I bought that..    :D

Roger

• Like 1