speaker break in

AnalOg

My rf3ii, have about 50 hrs. listening time on them. Compared to my def tech bp2004tl's i have setup on another system in another room, the difference i exhibit between the two is the vocals are more in ur face on the rf3ii. I'm wondering if breakin is a factor in this eventually being toned down.

You are about at the break in point with the RF3's. I wouldn't expect much change from this point on. The RF3's have a very bold, lively presentation. Isn't this why you bought them? You are comparing a "Hi-Fi" sounding speaker to one that is designed to sound "live" and accurate.

If you want a smoother treble, and warmer presentation -- then you are going to have to go with tubes.

They play in phase, they are bipolar tweeters & mids front and back along with 10 inch long throw subs housed in the sides of each tower with 250 watt amps in each tower driving those subs. They sound good with both HT & 2ch listening. I have found, becouse of there speaker configuration the have great imaging & sound stage. They exhibit a velvety sound in the upper mids that are very pleasing with jazz and classical, to my ears very neutral and precise. I like both of my setups, infact the def techs are primarily for my HT system and the rf3ii are for my two channel system. The def techs are in a very large room with 18 ft. ceilings and the rf3ii's are in the basement set up. In the future Im going to hook the rf3ii to the HT system and make A/B comparisons to see if maybe the room acoustics or amps play a major role in what I'm hearing in the basement.

Thankx

I think they are bipolar -- but not necessarily designed for HT.

What really does make a speaker a HT speaker anyways? Hell, mains are mains. I use my DQ's in a 2-channel HT setup, and I'm sure they weren't thinking of that when they designed them! That's right, I SVS the system, and just push the dial to 2 o'clock -- no problem here pushing my arse into the couch.16.gif

Have you tried swapping the cables between the HT and 2CH system?

I have never heard your speakers. I know when I bought my first pair of Klipsch (KLF20's) I was using Monster cable. The system was so bright that I hated it. I changed my cables out to Audioquest Type 4 and smoothed everything out. Type 4 or CV4 can make a huge difference. I think solid wire and SS is the way to go.

When I bought my tubes I didn't like the Audioquest as much as I like DH Silver Labs T14. I am using that now (until this weekend. I am testing a pair of Alpha Core AG1's).

Danny

Thats interesting, I've never really experimented with speaker cable, have with interconnects with noticeable results. The problem with that is its a sizable investment of hit or miss if even I'm able to hear a noticeable difference. Toning down thes speakers would really be beneficial to my preference. If there was a sure fire formula for speaker cable application I would consider it. I've read so much contraversy regarding this subject it just takes u around in circles. It would be nice if once and for all there was some sort of conclusive testing and guide to follow.

thankx

That's the sad thing about this. There is no magic formula out there.

I went through 3 different brands, until I found the Audioquest.

I think everyone on the BB has a closet full of IC's and speaker wire.

You can get some AQ Type 4 for about $3 per foot.

Another problem with this is that I may like it and for your taste it sucks.

Transport makes a big difference. My system sounded great with my Rega. The Rega died and I replaced it with a 12 year old Onkyo Cd player. Same cables and the system was so bright it hurt. I was looking at buying a $1000 DAC to change the sound. I added a $100 cable instead and it sounded good. That same cable sounds like crap with my Rega.

Room accoustics and speaker placement. This will make your system sound harsh. Are your speakers close to both the rear walls and side walls?

Good luck.

Danny

ooooooooohhhhhh

another speaker cable inquiry...scary.

With the technology of speaker cable you are using you are proably not getting the maximum performance from either pair of speakers.

AQ Type 4 is a good entry to audiophile grade cable.

The phase question about dipolar speakers has some implied inaccuracy of reproduction due to reflections; theoretically of course.

One of my favorite coworkers has a pair of Def Techs, he loves em and I think they sound really good. A totally different objective in music reproduction though.

Using a classical concert comparrisson...

Most speakers: up in the balcony

Klipsch: sitting on the lip of the orchestra pit

or for you rock fans: sitting on Eric Clapton's stage monitor

You are correct dbflash,,solid core is the way to go with SS.For any 1 interested,,try some 12 gauge romex,,yes I said romex wire.The same wire thats inside the walls of the house.It powers my K-horns very nicely.When I swapped speakers from my Bostons,,I wasnt about to cut up a set of Tice cables that george himself made for me in a bi-wire.The tops of the bostons are about 3 feet taller,,so a custom wire was needed.It was late sunday evening,,and I wanted to hear the K-horns.The romex wire was teh only thing I had long enough at the time.To me it sounds great.Oh BTW,,stay away from that monster crap.Those wires are good for hooking up the vcr,,thats about it.You can do alot better for the money nowadays in regards to cables.Good luck,,Jeff

Heh...ole Erik M. used to use ROMEX in his 2A3 Moondog-Lowther Horn system and I occasionally gave him a hard time about it as the stuff is REALLY thick solid core with a basic plastic type insulation. Most solid core theory tends to gravitate toward thinner options and that stuff is MONSTER (pardon the pun). I agree with the Monster Cable assessment, especially the typical mess which turns green faster than a mood ring. For people that rewired their speakers with the stuff five years ago, dont look!

I have found the Belden coax constructions that Jon Risch outlines to be very nice sounding, equaling far more expensive wire.

kh

ps- Dean, you asked about what makes a HT speaker? Usually it is HEAVY BASS capability, many times over the top, and a tipped up treble almost across the board. They tend, on the whole, to be far less neutral.

Dean..btw, did you see the changes on your "High Fidelity" page? When are you going to send me some presents?