GARAGE SALE VINYL

T2K

Did something unusual today (for me anyway). Went garage sailin' and ran across an old woman with around 2000 albums. There was about 10 big boxes of some of the best LP's from the 60's to early 80's that I've ever seen, and they were in a storage building in her back yard. Several of the boxes of LP's were damp and she said because of a leak she had thrown many out! Most of them were no good/ruined. There ought to be a law preventing this kind of abuse!

I spent about 2 1/2 hours going thru the junk and culled some that I might have otherwise bought but didn't because she thought they were GOLD. Anyway, ended up with about 15 LP's and paid $15 total.

As I was leaving, she asked me if I was interested in looking at the old vacuum tube equipment and horn speakers that she had in her basement. I told her I was too tired and I might come back tommorrow. (This last line is BS 2.gif ).

Anyway, the few LP's I really really DID get are:

FLEETWOOD MAC/ LIVE /2-lp

HOTEL CALIFORNIA

THE LETTERMEN/ FEELINGS

STEVIE WONDER/SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE /2-lp

ROD STEWART/CAMOUFLAGE

NAT KING COLE/STAY AS SWEET AS YOU ARE

THE POLICE/EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE (sealed)

MILES DAVIS/DECOY

THE MAMA'S AND THE PAPA'S/IF YOU CAN BELIEVE YOUR EYES AND EARS

THE GREATEST OF NAT KING COLE/VOL.#1 /2-lp

A Ray Charles double lp and several others not worth talking about.

Stopped by another garage sale and the guy said his wife had 'a lot' of older LP's in good condition, but they didn't get them out to sale. He checked with the boss and she said she would get 'em out tonight and I could come back tommorrow.

Anyone have any suggestions for good albums that I should look for tommorrow?

Keith

I could go on for hours on which albums to look out for. Maybe I'm a stuck-up & anal record collector but that haul looks pretty typical of what I see in the $1 bin everywhere. I'm not trying to be mean. Stuff I look for is more DJ oriented or old independent funk/soul from the late 60s to early 70s. Old punk and garage from the same time period. Stuff on the Flying Dutchman record label. Skull Snaps, Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band, The Meters, Dennis Coffey, Original Blue Note pressings, Kraftwerk, 80s metal is starting to rise in value, Ennio Morricone soundtracks, stuff on Takoma, Goblin records, weird instructional/spoken word albums, etc. I've got massive record lists with all the highly-sought after records for "breaks" and samples. For anyone interested in diggin' I highly suggest checking out the documentary Scratch. Fantastic movie looking at the history of the hip-hop/scratch dj. Very cool segments on crate diggin', THE records to look for & record collecting in general. Will open your eyes to a world you probably didn't realize existed. Scratch, The Movie

If I weren't completely bagged from my commute I could probably think of a couple hundred but a few favourites.....

Almost anything on Blue Note or Verve if you like Jazz/Blues and wouldn't mind possibly making a few bucks. The early mono LP's are excellent sonically and financially:

Blood Sweat and Tears - Greatest Hits

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand the Weather

(especially Tin Pan Alley)

McLaughlin,Di Meola and Paco Lucia - Saturday Night in San Francisco

Al Di Meola - Splendido Hotel

Janis Ian -Between The Lines (esp. At Seventeen)

Phoebe Snow -Phoebe Snow

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken

Michael Martin Murphy* - Geronimo's Cadillac

Big Brother and The Holding Company - Cheap Thrills

(Summertime, Piece of My Heart. Some of

Joplin's best)

Bent Fabric - Alley Cat

New England Conservatory - The Red Back Book

( A celebration of that other Joplin)

* Re: Michael Martin Murphy

MMM had a promising start with Geronimo's Cadillac and a couple of other albums and for whatever reason,( probably a selfish desire to feed himself), produced an album which included a wildly successful song "Wildfire" which was every bit as syrupy as any of those mid 50's tear- jerkers a' la "Tell Laura I Love Her". A veritable vinyl soap opera about a 12 year old ditz who goes running around in a blizzard looking for a pony that was only slightly smarter than her and they both - of course - freeze to death merely 120 feet from a Walmart Tire Center. Therefore their Spirits can be heard calling across the prairies to each other any time temperatures fall and Walmart has a sale on snow tires.

I would tell you what I really feel about that period in MMM's career but there are content rules here after all. That aside - MMM has returned to his roots and has been producing,(in both senses of the word) some great stuff. He has concentrated on some of the traditional "Cowboy Music" and has recorded people such as Don Edwards and The Sons of The San Jaquin - both Edwards and the SOTJ are worth listening to over and over. Murphy's own "Cowboy Songs" is a pure delight - even the commercial potboiler "Cowboy Logic" works for me. If you find a copy listen to Suzy Boggus steal the show in "Wild Ripplin' Waters" 9.gif

Michael redeemed himself with me in this album.

If you can start a conversation with the person running the garage sale ask them if they have "an old turntable that still works"...especially if you see CDs or any type of stereo equipment. If they tell you their's is broken ask them if they have any old records they can't play anymore they would be interested in selling.

I've had a couple of people go back into the house and bring out their stack of old records for me to look thru.

Also...I find "estate sales" in older neighborhoods more productive than typical garage sales...but you have to be there on the first day.

Just a garage sale that advertised records, cds & videos. They had a few thousand mostly sealed classical titles for $2 each or cheaper if you bought a bunch. $3 for sealed videos. If I still bought tapes I would've picked some up. VERY impressive titles. Fellini, Hitchcock, Almadovar, & lots of quirky titles such as Withnail and I(GREAT flick by the way). Then I saw the vinyl. About 15 milk crates of records so I started digging and just blurted out to the couple "I'll give you a hundred bucks for all the records" and he said sure. I threw in the 2 Telarc CDs I was going to buy and just made it an even $100. More than 1/2 of the stuff is still-sealed. There's a little bit of everything in here. Everything easy-listening that is. A little country, about 1/4=Mantovani style orchestral easy listening and an even split of jazz and classical.

The biggest hit that my record collector buddy and I have made to date started at a garage sale this summer. We found that the seller had several hundred 8-Tracks and a couple of hundred cassettes for sale. I asked if he had any LP's he wanted to sell and he said that he hadn't had time to bring them up from storage but we were welcome to look through them and pick out anything we wanted at 50 cents each but reserved the right to not sell any that he wished to keep. On that occasion we left with about 150 LP's including a number of marching band LP's that had never been unsealed.

About 6 weeks later he contacted Brian and said he was willing to let go of everything except the 50 or so that he had "rescued" from us on our last foray. We bought the remaining 650 or so for $110.00

A couple of years ago, I answered an ad in the newspaper in regard to an "audiophile turntable" for sale. The gentleman couldn't give me a lot of info about the table and gave me directions with the suggestion that I "just stop by sometime". Given the price and my desire for a TT, I was there within 20 minutes. The table was an Oracle Delphi w/arm and "hardly used" MC cart. I ran it through its paces and handed him the money all the while thanking my lucky stars to have been the 1st to call. After packing it up and putting it in my car, I returned to thank him and say goodbye. During our salutations, he became quite emotional about "losing" his TT - to the point where I began to get a bit nervous about the deal. The spectre of me handing back this wonderful TT to this sobbing 50 year old flashed before me several times. I was unconsciously moving towards the door when he suddenly stopped his reminiscing and directed me to follow him down stairs. I wasn't afraid per se but then again, I'd only known this guy for about an hour and there was a tinge of discomfort in the air. At the bottom of the steps there was a large bookshelf full of LPs - 100s of LPs. He mumbled something about not needing them anymore and started loading a box. Once filled, he told me to take it to my car and began filling another box. I couldn't believe it! Now I was just floating in the moment and stood there a good minute before I came back to my senses and grabbed the box. We managed to put 8 boxes and milk crates in my car. I drove home, unloaded and returned for another 12 boxes, and then again for another 6 or so. After it was all over, I had a pile of LPs (I had to dump the records each time to re-use the boxes). In the end, I think I counted just under 1500 LPs - mostly classical and jazz but there were quite a few very 60s rock titles and even a few soundtrack and showtune albums - all very clean and well-cared for. It was a revelatory experience and I must've thanked him 50 times although my wife wasn't thrilled when she saw my "haul". One man's good fortune can be his wife's worst nightmare. I had left all my records back in NC when I moved up to Baltimore thinking I was done with them but in 1 afternoon, I literally doubled my collection and got a TT to boot! Two years later and I still haven't listened to half of this fellow's gift but hopefully, I'll have plenty of time to enjoy it. These experiences don't happen often but I feel so very fortunate to have found that ad and made the call.

OK Mike, here's another one. Went to pick up my Scott 222C and 350 tuner a couple weeks ago and in conversation the guy asks me about problems with a turntable. I told him I didn't know what could be wrong with his TT. So he says 'take it with you'. Checked it out a few days later and it needed a belt. Just an old Sansui, but its in great condition.

This afternoon I cracked one of the boxes of LP's that I bought a month or so ago. This box contained someone's extensive collection of classical. That someone took very good care of these LP's. They even had notes affixed to some of the LP's. Cleaned about 30 or so and listened to some of them. There was Bach, Beethoven, Grieg, Handel, Haydn, Mendelssohn, Mozart, Patti la Belle, Schubert, and Tchaikovsky, among others. There was even one that I'm certain C&S would just love. It is Ravel Bolero/LaValse Rapsodie espagnole Alborada del gracioso/Lorin Maazel Orchestre National De France.

After a few hours of classical I feel an attraction to chubby women with white wigs.

The Police sounded even better the second time around.

Keith

Yeah, like you I picked up some classical this weekend at a swapmeet (8 albums for $4), which contained some Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky (1812 Overture), Schubert, Haydn and Handel. There was also a mint first album from Eric Carmen that I snagged.

I figured what the hey, I would give it a go and see if I like this stuff. To be honest, I just don't get it. I tried to get involved but I just couldn't. Maybe if I could see one of these concerts in person, that might be different. But sitting at home, listeing to it in my living room, it just didn't do it for me.

I ended up putting on Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow again, and felt much better afterwards. 1.gif

Mike

Mike,

I find almost any music I listen to onvolving to one degree or another. I'm a avid 70s and 80s rocker but tonight I listened to Frank Sinatra nothing like big band Horns on Horns !!! I also listened to a CD that AndyKub sent me tonight can't remember the name but this music will nock your socks off and make you jump out of your seat. Andy fill them in on what it is !!

By the way andy both the CD's you sent me have some nasty pops thruout them. Is there something wrong with your burner or software ?

Craig