HDBR : Help! Heresey questions

michael hurd

HDBR builder : Found in pawn shop Thunder bay, ontario 2 Heresy's type hbb serial #8516112 - other one missing tag and brass klipsch logo on grille -- Asking price $600 cdn -- motivated to sell -- possibly pick up for $400. Are these the original heresy or the heresyII ? From reading other posts, I figured out they probably have the plastic squaker lenses. Are these good, bad or ugly ? If I can demo them and take the backs off to make sure the drivers and crossovers are originals, I will probably pick them up.

Sounds like the last year of the original Heresy Mike.

The backs cannot be removed with the Heresy II.

The drivers are mounted via the front baffle, versus being attached from the inside, to the rear of the baffle.

Heresy II's are MDF. Original Heresy is Birch Plywood, and you should clearly be able to see the grain on the ends, around the front edges of the speaker.

The lenses are probably plastic. Based on what I've been reading up to this point -- I don't think it amounts to a hill of beans difference.

HBB=Heresy, Birch, Black. The easiest way to tell if they are Heresy or Heresy II model is to look at the back...if it is screwed on, then they are Heresy, if you don't see any screws holding the backs on, they are Heresy II models, and the backs DON'T come off on them. The other way is to remove the grille Cloth panel on the front of the speakers....if you see screws holding the horn lenses on from the front, then they are Heresy II models....if you see the horn lenses and the woofer are mounted to the back of the motorboard, instead of the front, then they are Heresy models. I would imagine that the "HB" models are made of birch plywood (instead of MDF) whether Heresy OR Heresy II models!! My understanding is that the Heresy II came out in 1985, but that doesn't mean that is what they are...the changeover occurred sometime during the year, but likely not at the BEGINNING of the year! Either way...the price is good, and if everything is in working order for them, you will have a good deal on them!

Thanks, guys, I will check these out some more when I am in T-bay again. (The pawn shop was closing when I was looking at them). They are definately made out of plywood, but I don't recall if the backs are screwed on or not. 10.gif The owner of the shop, whom I was talking with had very little info on them, and does not know what they are worth, also mentioned that they had been sitting on them for 6 months, saying " the right person never seems to come around ". HE hehe 9.gif Maybe, I am the right person ! I just won't let on what they have, telling him that I will take them off his hands for 400 bucks.11.gif Merry christmas to me !