La Scala Clone Mid Horns Question

OCBob

I've built some La Scala clone cabinets and have gathered  up most of the internals, with the exception of the Mid Horns and Drivers.  So many ways to go on this one, both from Klipsch and the aftermarket.

I'd love to remain with Klipsch ( K-55 driver and K 400 horn) but I've read enough post's that I know I can improve on the original Mid driver / horn combination.

What's the latest / greatest hot set up?

Thanks in advance.....

You are right to suspect that the K400 can be improved on.  It was great for its era, but technology has moved on.  Your greatest improvement will come from going to a completely active digital crossover setup.  This will allow you to use pretty much any horn/driver combo you want, cross it over appropriately and EQ it flat.  You could go 2-way or 3-way. 

Personally, I believe the best setup possible would be a 2-way, using a K-402 horn with a 4" diaphragm beryllium driver (TAD, JBL or Radian).  Keep in mind, this is not cheap ($2k for the horns and another $2k for drivers). 

My setup represents a much cheaper attempt that probably gets 90% of the way there.  I am using B&C DE750TN drivers on ZXPC horns (from eBay).  I have less than $400 in that setup and it sounds excellent to my ears.  The next step for me would be to upgrade to Beryllium, but as I said, the cost is steep.

On 10/8/2020 at 10:02 PM, OCBob said:

I've built some La Scala clone cabinets and have gathered  up most of the internals, with the exception of the Mid Horns and Drivers.  So many ways to go on this one, both from Klipsch and the aftermarket.

I'd love to remain with Klipsch ( K-55 driver and K 400 horn) but I've read enough post's that I know I can improve on the original Mid driver / horn combination.

the K401 is pretty much the most affordable-bang for the Dollar -------

The K-400/401 sounds ok when you get the balance correct between all three drivers and don't crank the gain too much.  Deans crossovers can help the smoothness...

As soon as you go to a 2 inch throat horn/driver combo the difference is noticeable tbough. Much more open sound.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 4:47 PM, OCBob said:

Scored a K-401 with a A-55G driver.

Woo-Hoo!!!

yeah , now that's a Horn ,  , that A-55G is a Beauty ------all you can do now is make a cabinet to house the horn , or add a tweeter to the side or top and you'll be all set ------

3 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

How did you make this?  Looks like fiberglass. 

No....it's one of Dave Harris Elliptrac kits.

Starts off life like this & is MDF.

This photo was with the undercoat applied. 

Watch out for my new ones in my Belle Build thread. 

ELLIPTRAC A.jpeg