Not Klipsch but interesting in Colorado

vjdebart

4 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Hello all,

I have auditioned many PA speakers over the years as I used to DJ on the side and had a home studio with a small pa setup for band practices, I have listened to many Cerwin Vegas over the years.  My thoughts in 3 words: "They are loud...."  (especially their horn loaded subs!) With that said, I have never bought a pair because I found them to not sound as good as other brands... Obviously sound quality is very important to me!  So, I ended up building most of my PA speakers because the ones I really liked were out of the budget range for a school teacher.  If I can build something for considerably less and that sounds better than something I can buy, well, that's a no brainer!  Although I did end up buying one set of amplified PA speakers with the goal of simplifying my setup.  When I purchased the Mackie HD1531's, I no longer needed to drag my separate power amps along, nor my subs, unless it was a huge space!

I did buy and still own the Mackie HD1531https://mackie.com/products/hd-series

This was by far the best sounding PA type of speaker out there at the time.  It didn't sound like your typical PA speaker...rather a high quality 3 way home stereo speaker.... that goes up to 11!  It still sounds as good as or better than most of the Klipsch speakers I own/have owned... just a little too industrial to have in the living room decor.  Plus, it's not as quiet during critical listening moments as you have to give something up with 900 watts of power per speaker RMS.

I'm wondering if you have ever heard the QSC KW153?  this speaker has caught my eye a few times.

45 minutes ago, Shiva said:

I'm wondering if you have ever heard the QSC KW153?

Yes, and I decided to go with the Mackie. They are both similar as far as performance, spl, clarity, etc.  I think the QSC's perhaps have a bit more going for them with the reliability factor, but the Mackies sounded better to me.  Mackie has had some bad amplifier issues...but, like anything made in China, sometimes it's great and you won't have issues, other times you get stuck with a bad apple!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Thank you for teaching in general, but especially for teaching STEM.

I love teaching STEM...however, teaching STEM remotely is not ideal!  Since we do a fair amount of hands-on projects, it's difficult to get the materials to the students... and even more difficult to get their projects back!  For example, we build balsa wood trusses and balsa wood bridges for one of our units.  Well, you can just imagine the logistical nightmare that is with getting multiple 3 foot balsa pieces delivered to about 200 of my students!

3 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

I love teaching STEM

I’ve noticed the latest acronym seems to be STEAM, with the “A” standing for Arts.  Do you also teach one, or more, of the arts?  If so, which; if not would you like to, and which one(s)?

I am actually the STEAM teacher, but that's more of a recent addition and not as many people know what that is without me explaining it, so that's why I usually just say I teach STEM. 

The arts I teach are in the form of spacial awareness when I do 3D design with programs like Tinkercad, Homestyler and Punch! Home and landscape design.

Also, they build CO2 powered race cars, air powered rockets, etc.... and they get to paint/decorate them as they like.  Some do a great job, some not so much!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1