Jim Cornell paint the K-horns black, or leave the laminated aok alone? Taking votes

Jim Cornell

I would not paint. I'd build a frame box around the horn assembly out of 1" x 2" pine and cover it with black grill cloth. Not the coarse Klipsch type cloth, but the thinner fabric type. The frames would be cheap to build (a couple 1"x2" pine) and depending on how much you want to cover, the cloth would't be too pricey either.

It will also be a bit more aesthetically pleasing because it will be difficult to match the shades of black between the bass cabinet and upper cabinet. The grill cloth would also conceal the gaping hole of the throat and help minimize dust accumulation in the horns and drivers.

Nice job, anyway. I'm planning on doing a 511 conversion myself in the near future.

Hey jim nice to see you still here !!

I'm for black, i just like the whole matching thing.

have you given any thought to building the upper cabinet in the traditional v shape ? Thats the way i'm going to do mine.

they are really easy to build and will keep the dust and crap out of the crossover.

I called AOL. i have to many freinds to cancel, and family online!

Well, if i build a cover itll have to be 6 inches deep, to cover the 511b, also the 511b would be double grilled!

If i take the custom grill i made off the 511, ill have to destroy it!

The reason i was thinking of painting the tops black, when i had the wood cut, he cut the grain vertical!

I wanted the grain horozontal!

Dale i prabably will enclose the tops fully, then id like to get the side grill covers!

Kinda make my own full version, all id be missing would be the gap between the top and bottom section!

Regards Jim1.gif

Mike 82

Your right, i painted the oak ply on the tops and bottoms of the 511b horns,just the little oval boards, i think it would just make the tops look like painted plywood, rather than 7 ply Oak laminate!

I also would not be able to match the black satin bass bins!

In order to do something like this, i would have to cover the top section with a very fine bondo, sand it smooth as glass, to get a piano finish, forget that!

More than likely, ill leave the oak laminate alone, and enclose the rest of the tops, using 3/4 ich ply, and paint that black!

I do think the 2 tone is cool looking!

Regards Jim

1.gif

I had no idea that those horns were actually shorter than the K400s.

I would vote for the grillcloth thing, but also moving them back a couple inches so that the frontmost part of the horn is behind the vertical front of the khorn, then make a 1 or 2 inch deep frame to cover in grill cloth for the front.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I didn't get a chance to read every post but I would build the top section for the K-Horns you have and install the driver you have in that cabinet and then cover the top section in Klipsch grill cloth so they look stock. Too be honest the setup you have now is not too attractive. If you don't have the tools send me a private message and I can build them for you for not too much. I build furniture so the tops of a K-horn would be a snap. If your K-Horns are black then I would paint the tops black anf be done with it. To re-finish the K-Horn would be a huge task. I recently helped a friend with black Cornwalls and he ended up buying 1/4" veneered ply and re-covering the Corns. I'd rather see you keep them stock.

hot pink.

go with hot pink.

and neon orange stripes! and yellow 60's flowers!

ooooo and put in some white stripes and use blacklights in front of them so they glow!

then paint "Are you Experienced?" on the left one and on the right paint "With Klipsch?" in that groovy purple hendrix font on the front!!!

and have some SERIOUSLY retro k-horns!!!

3.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I have always wondered if anyone ever thought about building khorns out of the 3/4" acrylic that goes by brand names of plexiglass, etc.

If the inside was fogged with a satin spray of clearcoat a blacklight or anyone one of the aftermarket neon tubes would make them glow like crazy.

A lot of the competition automotive audio people are building subwoofer bins out of this stuff. What I have seen at a few car shows is incredible. The sound pressure alone excedes anything that a Khorn could produce. Also the seams if glued properly and polished are invisible.