Craigmeister 299a

Deang

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No word from the stable of Deanmeister this morning. 3 possibilties..... he is to Ill to try out the Scott , He is listening to it know figuring how to post that it wipes the floor on the Apollos or he is having trouble with it. Sure hope its not the later !!

Come on Dean the suspense is killing us !!!!!!!

Craig

Thanks for the acknowledgment and comments here, Dean, Chris, Tim, Craig. I probabably have enjoyed this forum TOO much as you seem my more than pathetic "answering machine" status, only slightly less painful than the "No Life" designation.

I think most people started buying tube amps just to avoid seeing my 10 paragraph rants on tubes vs solid state; indeed, it was the only way to shut me up!

It has been interesting watching the excitement and enthusiasm of the first time tube users. And given the traits and performance of the Klipsch Heritage, I can think of no better type of amplification. I have enjoyed the vintage and SET explorations here.

It's been a fun ride over the last year and a half...who knows where this place will be next year at this time...

Single-ended solid state anyone? heh

kh

NOS,

I live in Livonia near Ann Arbor Trail and I-275.

TBABB,

I am not sure where your brother lives; a smaller city I am unfamiliar with.

I go twice a month to Mexico. If he would like to have dinner with gringo let me know.

Kelly,

Your study and insight is right in line with what I have been thinking about the past 10 years or so. So much needless cash spent on digital and HT.

Cheap ineffecient speakers...lead to...brittle sounding high wattage SS amps...lead to...HIFI that sounds cold brittle and non musical ....add digital audio...and CD music with too much compression... and YUCK!

The audio and music business should be ashamed of themselves.

Thanks for helping me see the light. I can listen to amplifiers now where I could not get the mindset before.

Like everyone else, I'm interested in Dean's review of the 299A. My reason is, I'm in the final stages of purchasing the same piece and I want to hear what he has to say. "Through the grapevine I've heard that he has listened to it already", so his initial review should be coming soon.

My question is, can a tube amp be placed in the confines of an entertainment system? My wife has compromised with me a lot on arrangement of the furniture to accomodate the rather large-sized KLF 30s. I currently have my SS gear in this center and I leave it own for days at a time, though it runs very warm, I've never had a problem with the wood/fiberboard enclosure becoming hot. The amp will be enclosed in the wood box also. Hopefully, the answer is yes it can. I should have asked this before I put hundreds of dollars on the line.

Thanks

Hey guys ... nice thread with some easy banter. Nice breather.

Got the 2A3's last week but they remained in the trunk of my frozen car for a week while I did a west coast swing. With the wife out shopping today and my youngest daughter at a birthday party, I had an hour to pull these babies out and give them a listen. I wasn't expecting much given that they were (1) frozen, (2) not warmed up, (3) playing with an "okay" pre-amp (my AE-3), and (4) I'm fried from a few weeks of high altitude.

Well, right out the box they are superb. They took the wonderful Eico musical qualities and just extended them a full order of magnitude. The MUSIC is wonderful.

To give them a fair ear, I pulled the Klipschorns out of their sealed corners and reset the ALK's to the "normal" sqwauker levels ... I had set them to attenuated because the SuperAmp was so "strident" ... or "incisive" as Dean describes ...

But firing them up, the articulation and midrange are amazing ... They also run quite cool which is nice ... The SuperAmp was literally a heat source for the cold living room on the south side of the house ... These amps don't need to grind out power because they're pure loveliness ... I'm glad that I have a 104 db speaker connected to them for sure, but there's more than enough punch. Kelly alluded to a comparatively milder bass ... the Moondogs must boogie because the bass in the room was quite nice and well filled out.

The AE-3 is actually a very nice, neutral mating with these ... The old 5962's seem to be just right ... The NOS RCA 2A3's are wonderful ... Tim Babb says the Sovteks are worth looking into, but for now, I'll just give these a good listen.

Still need to find a nice phono stage since the MMF-7 is again on the sidelines without one.

Kelly, thanks again for promoting the SET concept on this forum. It's been an eye-opener for sure.

PS: Craig, I'll be at the DTW 4-Points Sheraton Sun/Monday nights ... although I'll be sleeping there for a few hours only. Next time in will be a little better since I won't have any VP's in tow like I do on this trip.

Chris,

Let me know the next time and maybe I can drive down to Detroit in the evening and we can hit some night spot for a few drinks and some live music. I'm not really familiar with the Detroit night life but I'm sure there a quite night club there somewhere. I'm open to any type of music doesn't matter.

Craig

Chris,

Sorry I haven't followed .. what amp do you have using the 2A3s. I'm interested in the comparison with the Superamp, since that is so close to my pp design.

With the Supeamp, I assume there are caps between the 6922 phase splitter/driver and output tubes of choice. I installed Jensen copper & oil caps at that point in my amp and the improvement is very remarkable (previous caps were polyprop. metalized film).

leok

Leo, I just picked up a pair of the Wright Sound 3.5W 2A3 SET ... They actually look pretty nice straddling the AE-3 since they're about the same form factor (small).

The SuperAmp was nice -- I know Dean loves him -- but I didn't find it to be a good mate with the Klipschorns. The Eico sounds great with them, esp. after Craig's TLC, but the SET amps take it a bit further down the road. I'd like to do a little more experimenting with the Eico and the Cornwall II's I have, and maybe the SETs as well.

I'm not sure what the config was with the 6922's ... and my amp was sold ... Maybe Kelly would remember if he comes across this thread one of these days.

I believe Chris had the base version of the SuperAmp -- which did not have PIO coupling caps. I owned the same amp, as well as the DJH version -- which did have the PIO's. There was a marked difference in the signature of the treble.

However, there are other, major differences between the two amps, and I'm not really sure if it's fair to attribute this difference, and give full credit to the PIO's for the smoother, warmer treble signature ("warmer" by contrast to the base version) of the DJH version.

Complicating things further in my mind, is that my Apollos utilize Hovlands as the coupling caps, and I find the treble closer to what the DJH version had (which had PIO's), than the base version (which used metallized polypropylene).

I think the preamp plays a big part here as well, and we don't always talk about the relationship between the preamp and the amp together -- which ultimately decides what you are really going to end up with.

BTW Chris, the SuperAmp was not "strident" in my system. "Strident" is shrill, harsh, or grating. "Incisive" is cutting, penetrating, or sharp. I saw the SuperAmp as being extremely clean, clear, and direct. I just think the SuperAmp and Heritage squawker are a bad match -- a matter of too much of a good thing.

Leo, here is a link explaining the circuit(s) of the base SuperAmp. http://www.upscaleaudio.com/ae-25tech.htm

deang, Chris

Thanks for the reference. I hadn't realized the superamp is normally configured ultra-linear. This would easily account for some harshness. Chris, had you tried the triode mode?

I'm a little surprised because my pp amp, which is very close to the superamp, is so smooth with the RF-7s and I'm finding the RF-7s to have no mercy at all with any high end distortion. On the other hand, when things are right, as they are with the pp amp, the RF-7s do that wonderful vanishing act, creating a solid, natural sounding, 3-D image.

The Forte-IIs have been more forgiving of high end distortion in that instead of getting painful they just sound scrambled. I thought the KHorns, being 3-way, might be similar in that regard.

I'm at a disadvantage here without the SET reference you both have. When the Moondogs become a fact my definitions of solid, natural sounding, and 3-D may change substantially.

leok