Center for my Forte ll's

SteelerFan

Greetings to all, this is my first post. Bought a hi-def TV and DVD player.

I now have the urge to upgrade my whole system. I've thought about going all the way with the whole RF-7 setup but my Fortell's are 11 years old and in perfect condition! I'm not sure, for all the extra money, that they would sound that much better than my Fortes. With the Academy being so hard to find, would the RC-7 be acceptable? At least that way I'd have a head start on the complete RF-7 setup. I've never been real happy with the performance of my KG2.2V with my Forte's. How about surrounds? I need to upgrade everything so the more I can save the better. Thanks in advance.

I am planning on picking up my La Scala tomorrow to use as my center channel between my Belle's. So I will be parting with my KV-4 which would be an ideal match for your Forte II's. It is much larger than the KG 2.2V and can easily keep up with the Forte II's. It's efficiency is 99db with 1W which I believe is identical to the the Forte II's efficiency. It is in excellent to near mint condition, I don't not believe there is a mark on it but let me check it over. It is black in color, I believe the only finish that was available for it. I do have the original box and the adjustable feet that came with it as well. I will have to come up with a price as well.

I'll keep your KV-4 in mind also. What are the dimensions? I don't have a whole lot of room, my KG2.2V sit in a custom made TV stand just under the TV.

What do others think of the KV-4 with the Forte's?

----------------

On 12/6/2002 5:47:56 PM Frzninvt wrote:

I am planning on picking up my La Scala tomorrow to use as my center channel between my Belle's. So I will be parting with my KV-4 which would be an ideal match for your Forte II's. It is much larger than the KG 2.2V and can easily keep up with the Forte II's. It's efficiency is 99db with 1W which I believe is identical to the the Forte II's efficiency. It is in excellent to near mint condition, I don't not believe there is a mark on it but let me check it over. It is black in color, I believe the only finish that was available for it. I do have the original box and the adjustable feet that came with it as well. I will have to come up with a price as well.
----------------

>>What do others think of the KV-4 with the Forte's?<<

jhawk is probably going to show up to answer this but just in case he doesn't I'll give a summation previous comments. jhawk thought the KV-4 was a bit too bright for his Forte II's and prefered his KV-3 until he picked up an Academy.

Sorry for putting words in your mouth, jhawk! 2.gif

----------------

On 12/6/2002 6:27:59 PM erdric wrote:

>>What do others think of the KV-4 with the Forte's?<<

jhawk is probably going to show up to answer this but just in case he doesn't I'll give a summation previous comments. jhawk thought the KV-4 was a bit too bright for his Forte II's and prefered his KV-3 until he picked up an Academy.

Sorry for putting words in your mouth, jhawk!
2.gif
----------------

Looks like I'll may just have to keep hoping that someday, somewhere, I can pick up an Academy for a decent price. 8.gif

Thought I saw someone on here recently mention that he was selling Quartet's. My first reaction was, "this would great. If I could just get someone to split them with me to use as a center". But then again, I know my wife will not go for it at this time, so no sense asking.

Other than another Forte for the center, I was thinking of a Quartet. Same as the Forte, but smaller.

For me, maybe next year, but I think that would be a perfect match for the center.

Steeler-

Welcome to the boards. There is lots of good info here and the people are great. Not one to disappoint my fans (thanks erdric 9.gif ), I'll chime in a bit late. Yes, I ran a KV-4 with my Forte IIs for about a year, after replacing a KV-3. While the -4 is a great speaker, it is a timbre match for the Epic series from Klipsch, and is, to me, overly bright in comparison to the Forte IIs. If I had to choose between the KV-3 and the KV-4, I would go with the KV-3. It would support your HT needs quite well until you find that elusive Academy. The KV-4 is actually bigger than the Academy. Acadmey dimensions are as follows: 23 1/4" H x 11" W x 12 1/4" D, so may match pretty close with your KG 2.2V.

As for surrounds, as you can see, I now have the Fortes as surrounds with Chorus IIs up front. Before I got the Chorus, I had two pair of KG 1.2 for surround and back center. Those did quite well. You could look for those, or a pair of KG 2.2/2.5. Or go all out and find another pair of Forte I/II for the surrounds. Board members occasionally offer older speakers for sale here before heading to eBay, so you might get some good prices on gently used equipment. Good luck!

Thanks for the info jhawk! Very helpful.

I'll think about all I've learned and after Xmas I'll make up my mind.

So you have the ChorusII's huh? I'd just like to say that those were my dream speakers when I bought my Fortes 11 years ago. I had bought my whole home theater setup at once so I couldn't quite afford the ChorusII's. But I've been thinking about them ever since. Jeez maybe I ought to try and look for a nice pair of them and use my Fortes as surrounds. It would be a tight fit for the Fortes as surrounds however.... But I just couldn't bear to part to with my Fortes, I haven't moved them since I bought them brand new and they are perfect in every way. Hmmm. Well I'm having a blast thinking of all of the possibilities!9.gif

Steeler-

Happy to help. Sounds like you were in the same boat I was at almost the same time. I wish I had the money back then to get the Chorus IIs, but with my limited budget, all I could get was the Forte IIs, with all the other components I was buying. Not that I was disappointed in the least. But, yes, the Chorus II is quite a speaker, and like you, I don't think I could give up my Fortes either. While they have moved with me twice across the country, they are almost perfect.

The Chorus II, IMO, has a better midrange than the Forte II, though you lose just a bit of the low end with the Chorus. I don't miss it since I have a good sub, but realistically, you don't need a sub with either speaker. I'd certainly recommend keeping your eyes out for a nice pair of Chorus IIs, you won't be sorry.

Thanks jhawk. So I think I'll not do anything just yet while keeping my eye out for an Academy. If I can snag one of those, then I'll start looking for a nice pair of Chorus ll's and squeeze my Fortes in as surrounds. Sounds like a plan to me!

If that doesn't work out, I guess plan B is to move the Fortes and amp out to the living room and start over with the RF-7 setup. (A little working overtime reguired with this plan.)

"Thanks jhawk. So I think I'll not do anything just yet while keeping my eye out for an Academy. If I can snag one of those, then I'll start looking for a nice pair of Chorus ll's and squeeze my Fortes in as surrounds. Sounds like a plan to me!"

You are on the right path here. Jhawk speaks the truth, young Jedi. Don't change a thing. Just be patient - don't let the ease of obtaining the RF product cloud your thinking here11.gif. Of course, this advice comes from one who uses Cornwall II's as mains, Academy center, and Chorus rears in his HT. So I am a bit biased12.gif

"If that doesn't work out, I guess plan B is to move the Fortes and amp out to the living room and start over with the RF-7 setup."

Sonically the Chorus II/Fortes will work just fine. Find a way to make the speakers fit. Be creative1.gif

"(A little working overtime reguired with this plan.)"

Nahhh, just save the overtime for good subbage, if you don't have it already. Then just sit back and enjoy9.gif