Klipschorns NOT in a corner

Cybernalt

Q-man...one thing about your corners that I have been wondering about...

It appears that your corners are built so that they have an increase in flare rate as they extend beyond the front edge of the k-horns...it that really there??..or are my eyes deceiving me?

If it IS there...does it do any good??

With the discovery of the False Wall trick - I have convinced myself - with a little help from ya'll - that k-horns are the way to go.

I see several sets on eBay - but freight will add a couple hundred I'm sure. Assuming I can't find a nice used set locally (fat chance) - what is the going rate for a set of really-good condition units? Is there a big difference in the vintage?

Are those the Klipschorns that Jobman had?

Wonder what hes up to!

How about a 5ft 2 1/2in tall Klipschorn?

These are monsters!

After i enclose the tops, im ganna build corners myself, maybe improve the modular home walls!

Added a floor base to them!

The one set of Klipshorns on this topic didnt have the space between the top and bottom, the other set, has the full design, mine had no grill cloths, or tops, so right now on this thread we have 3 kinds of builds!

Crazy isnt it!

Theres another set of Klipschorns in Boulder, if there still there in March i might buy them LOL

Regards Jim

1.gif

I built the false corners from the "Dope from Hope" article. I used 3/4 mdf on one side and 1/2 on the other with 2X4 framing in between. I then filled the interior with sand. Very solid.

I had pretty good corners to begin with, my main goal was to move the sweet spot farther back into the room. This worked very well.

I can attest to the sturdy construction of Edster's false corners and the increased response of the K-horns because of them. Great stuff!! As Ed mentioned, his corners have a "floor" which makes it so he can move the whole "unit" to find the best location for the speakers. If/when I ever get a pair of K-horns, I'll be building a similar arrangement, maybe even if I do have real corners to put them in.

HDBR,

No, your wrong. It must be the picture,they are

90 degree corners about 50" in each direction.

I am going to try something different before I put the new false corner above the TV. I'll make a sketch of it later and post it.A sketch will be easier to understand what I'm about to try to discribe. I'm going to experiment with two designs. One is to use a full top, like you mention using a full wood bottom. This would make the horn complete. The other is to

have the two sides of the false corner stop at about 40", because this will line them up with the face of the bass horn. Then angle them 45 degrees (parallel) to the sides of the bass horn and extend them to about 10" in frort of it. Again with a full top and bottom. The second way that I mentioned would mean that I also have to pull the tweeter and midrange horns forward that same 10" to be flush with the front of the speaker. This bothers me that this is an incomplete horn. The top below the midrange should extend to the sides. A compromise so the thing would fit through door ways. I think this speaker needs more then just sides added. Time will tell, I want to play with it some.