First time using a receiver and new speakers..

TnGuy

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything because you'd already bought the 16 gauge wire, but I agree with @Islander that 12 gauge would be preferable. Everything will work just fine with your 16 gauge wire, but if you're going to a lot of effort to run the cables, hide them and connect all your speakers etc, consider upgrading to 12 gauge from the get go so that it doesn't become one more thing that bugs you and causes you to want to upgrade later... 🙂 But if switching wire gauge now isn't practical, then by all means, stick with what you have, because it will work, you might just have slightly greater losses on your longer runs.

Yes too bad about the wiring choice but, it will work no problem.

Many a HT is wired using solid copper stranded 18 gauge wire.

The runs in a typical HT are not long enough to present a powering problem.

Unless the OP has a place to get some different wire available to him, not going to suggest waiting on at least the fronts and center.

Need to find out more from @TnGuy in order to advise. Do not know if already prewired, attic, basement, or baseboard.

Certainly there are workarounds. 

Some good speaker wire agree would not run this wire for permanent HT. Decent wire 

called for. Thanks!

Edited by billybob

Is copper clad aluminum wire still available?  It’s softness causes it to loosen up over time, and loose connections can get hot, sometimes very hot.  Years ago, houses were wired with aluminum wires, because it was cheaper than copper, but it caused fires, some deadly.  Special connectors were designed to make aluminum wire safe, but it’s simpler to just get copper (or tin-clad copper, for much better corrosion resistance) in the first place.  Aluminum wire’s resistance to current flow is higher than that of copper, as well.  Silver has the lowest resistance, followed by copper.

Some people love silver speaker wire, but it’s more expensive than copper, and is subject to corrosion.  I hope all this wire discussion hasn’t given you a headache, when all you want to do is to connect up your system and listen to your favourite tunes, as you’ve possibly never heard them before.  With the Surround and Atmos speakers, watching movies should be a real revelation, too.

That's why I started about the wire more at first on page 1. Sounded abit odd for this day and age. Used some copper clad steel coaxial cable. It was a compromise and shortcut.

Nothing like the real thing, and not have it haunt you meanwhile.

Buyer beware...

Wonder if his new receiver was delivered yesterday...

Edited by billybob
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, billybob said:

That's why I started about the wire more at first on page 1. Sounded abit odd for this day and age. Used some copper clad steel coaxial cable. It was a compromise and shortcut.

Nothing like the real thing, and not have it haunt you meanwhile.

Buyer beware...

Wonder if his new receiver was delivered yesterday...

It didn't come until Sunday about 2 pm. I didn't even know FedEx delivers on Sunday's. It kept getting rescheduled. I took the 16 gauge wire back and got 12 gauge,  here is a stock pic of it and you'll see one wire is copper and one is silver atleast in color. Is that what sounds odd for this day and age? Is this good enough? It was the best I could get today (Sunday). I hope it'll work alright because everything is hooked up now 😃 🙏 lol hope you have a great Monday!!

Screenshot_20210307-194533.jpg