Another Cornscala build

rmlowz

I just purchased a pair of Dave Harris's 400 horns and a pair of his tweeter lenses. I want to build a three way CornScala. For years I have always wanted to here a Cornscala so it will happen soon LOL.

I have a new pair of Crites Cast frames that never got used from another project. I want to use the DE10 for the tweeter or maybe DaveAs tweeter lenses?

I am leaning towards a pair of A55gs for the midrange with the adapter. Would the DE750 or the DE85TN be a better driver for the midrange? I Have heard the DCM 50 is a even better driver  Is the DCM50 a big improvement over the other drivers I have mentioned? Maybe I need to spend the extra money and buy the DCM50? The reason I wanted to use the A55g is maybe to try and get the midranges to sound like a LaScala? I had LaScalla IIs for 11 years I liked the midrange of the speaker. Maybe it would not even sound like the midrange of the LaScala II using the Fastrack horn? As you can see I have a lot of questions I need help from my forum friends for this build

Thanks Rich

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rmlowz said:

I just purchased a pair of Dave Harris's 400 horns and a pair of his tweeter lenses. I want to build a three way CornScala. For years I have always wanted to here a Cornscala so it will happen soon LOL.

I have a new pair of Crites Cast frames that never got used from another project. I want to use the DE10 for the tweeter or maybe DaveAs tweeter lenses?

I am leaning towards a pair of A55gs for the midrange with the adapter. Would the DE750 or the DE85TN be a better driver for the midrange? I Have heard the DCM 50 is a even better driver  Is the DCM50 a big improvement over the other drivers I have mentioned? Maybe I need to spend the extra money and buy the DCM50? The reason I wanted to use the A55g is maybe to try and get the midranges to sound like a LaScala? I had LaScalla IIs for 11 years I liked the midrange of the speaker. Maybe it would not even sound like the midrange of the LaScala II using the Fastrack horn? As you can see I have a lot of questions I need help from my forum friends for this build

Thanks Rich

I have had a similar idea. To buy a pair of Crites cabinets and use the 55g and the de10 or is it the 110? Can’t remember.  I want that in your face Klipsch sound.  I think you will get that with the 1” mid driver(55g).  Maybe use Klipsch 33 woofers as well.   

38 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I have had a similar idea. To buy a pair of Crites cabinets and use the 55g and the de10 or is it the 110? Can’t remember.  I want that in your face Klipsch sound.  I think you will get that with the 1” mid driver(55g).  Maybe use Klipsch 33 woofers as well.   

Since I've not been as thrilled with my Belle clones, I've thought these same things; taking my components out of the clones and building a pair of Cornwall/Cornscala style cabinets using what I have...and figuring out a crossover.  There are some 9" x 14" ZXPC horns on e b a y that look identical to the Faital horns for $32 each shipped that will hold an A-55G (which I have) and I'd use the CT-120's and K-33 woofers.   Big rectangle cabinets are about the easiest thing to build and I know these would have better low end than the Belle clones.

It's either I take the parts I have an make new speakers or just sell them as is, buy the CF-3 v1's close to me, and call it good.  lol

1 hour ago, rmlowz said:

The reason I wanted to use the A55g is maybe to try and get the midranges to sound like a LaScala? I had LaScalla IIs for 11 years I liked the midrange of the speaker. Maybe it would not even sound like the midrange of the LaScala II using the Fastrack horn? As you can see I have a lot of questions I need help from my forum friends for this build

Thanks Rich

why not use the PD5VH --k77 , it's closer to the Lascala sound  ---I would stick with the Eliptrac tweeter lense -since it matches the Eliptrac 400 horn lense --you can't get a better combo -

No one is doing the “scala” part, so how can it be a “CornScala”. Even Bob thought it had become a misnomer. Anyways, with that horn, use the DCM-50. Al and Dave have worked quite a bit on that combo.

2 hours ago, Deang said:

No one is doing the “scala” part, so how can it be a “CornScala”. Even Bob thought it had become a misnomer.

I agree when I posted I thought about stating DIY speaker ,but as you see I went with a recognizable term LOL I will build a separate bass module and a separate box for the highs and midrange. I am going to wait till July ALK will take more orders then and get the CSW network. Has anyone used the DCM 50 or compared it to the A55G.

Thanks 

Rich