toe in toe out?

marksdad

ok like i have mentioned before, i have an unusual shaped listening room, about 12 by 16, i will be placing my new corns against the long wall, how far should they be seperated? how far off the wall?, should i attempt aiming them at the listener to obtain the sweet spot? i'm so confused12.gif

This will require a little experimentation, but in general, try to form an equal sided triangle between you and the two speakers. Long wall placement is fine, but you do not necessarily need to go the full width apart (to the corners). Long wall placement will still give good, if not excellent bass response - even if not in the corner.

Toe in: You will likely want to "toe in" the speakers toward your listening position. IOW, angling the speakers inward, until best image is obtained.

You will want to experiment a little - for example: once you do the basic setup and listening session, try placing the corns a bit further apart, or closer together, until the best image is obtained. Same with the toe-in: try adjusting that inward angle a bit, to see what works best. No setup is iron clad and correct in every situation - so a bit of trial and error helps in determining the best setup for your speakers. You will find that taking the time to find the most sonically correct place for the Corns is worthwhile. You WILL be able to tell differences. Just trust your ears.

Seems two channel would provide more info than tech.

Personally, I would bring them out from the cornwers if you can and try to get away from the rear wall. Bringing them out will increase the soundstage depth; I have had my ProAc towers out as much as 8 feet from the rear wall but CW are more problematic due to size. Having them away from the side walls a slightly greater distance is advisable as well.

Have the CW angled toward your listening position. Experiment here. It's best not to sit directly back against the wall but sometimes this cant be helped. You should be basically sitting slightly farther away from the speakers (at equal distance from each) then they are apart from each other. As stated, try experimenting here.

kh