Klipsch RP8000F with a restored Marantz 2285B receiver

mitcho

I just joined as I am considering my first pair of Klipsch.    I have narrowed it down to a Klipsch RP8000F pair matched to a just fully restored Marantz 2285B receiver.  I also will use a new Innuos ZenMini Mk 3 for streaming Tidal and ripping my CD's.  Logitech Transporter DAC.  Also a Rega RP8 turntable, Benz Micro Glider SL cartridge also a Soundsmith Carmen MM cartridge, Goldnote PH-10 phono stage,  Sony Blu-ray and a Sony Playstation 3 for SACD/ DVD audio.

Would be using the system for Audio and HT.    Only 2 channel.   No interest in more channels.  Retired.   Downsized home to a townhome. 

it's in a walk out basement/ rec room    16 feet X 14 Feet X 10 foot ceiling.

The tech who did the work on the receiver recommended the new Kilpsch floorstanders.   He singled out the RP8000F and the RF-7 lll.    I don't think I want to spend the $ on the RF-7 lll, but the rather affordable RP8000F looks good.  New Heritage products are more than I wish to spend as well.

Any suggestions?   Do you think the RP's would be good with the Marantz?  I am open to suggestions.  I have no Klipsch dealer close by and the tech who did the restoration/ upgrades on the Marantz is on the other side of the country from me so I can't just get in the car to demo.    thanking you in advance.

Edited by mitcho

Welcome to the forum.

First, where are you located?  There may be other forum members who would be happy to let you audition their speakers before you make a purchase decision.

Otherwise,  yes, that is a terrific receiver, and it matches particularly well with vintage La Scalas.  The combination of those two pieces is simply fantastic.  Prices have escalated on just about all good audio products, but if you can be a bit patient, you should be able to find a pair in great condition for $2500 or so.   Since you already have nice system components, (IMHO) you should look for the best speakers you can afford, and if it were me, I would try to find the La Scala.  Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Victoria, and my first Klipsch speakers were a 32-year-old pair of La Scalas.  7 years later, I got a pair of La Scala IIs, which look a lot better, and sound better, too.  The original Scalas got moved behind the sofa for surround, and they sound great right now.  My room is 18'x19'x8' high.  I'm about 6 feet from the wall behind me, so the ideal 1/3 of the way into the room, and the speakers are about 11 feet from me, which leaves plenty of room in front of the sofa.

Used Heritage Series speakers can be a great deal.  The original La Scalas still sound great, and cost me only $1200 delivered, while the La Scala IIs were under $3000, but I had to take the ferry and drive to Delta to pick them up.  It was well worth it.  The originals have  reached their stable price (roughly their original 1974 selling price) , while the LS2s are still depreciating and shouldn't start to rise in price for maybe ten years, so they're great bargains now.  The Fortés would be a good second choice, and might not even need subwoofers, while the La Scalas, young or old, definitely need a sub or two to fill in the bottom two octaves.

Check out Canuck Audio Mart, where you can search for audio gear from all over Canada, plus it has a link to US Audio Mart.  However, considering the size and weight of Heritage Series speakers, shipping is impractical for any speakers bigger than Heresys.  I had a pair of Heresys sent from Ontario to my door by Canada Post for only $50 per speaker, so that was a good deal.  For any bigger speakers, you'll have to drive, but their size and weight tend to keep the prices down, because they usually get sold locally, sometimes for less than they're worth.  You have a superior system, so it deserves superior speakers, right?

And of course, keep an eye on the Garage Sale section here.  Bargains are everywhere!  All it takes is research, patience, and cash, so you can act quickly when you spot something you really want.  That applies to anything you want to buy, of course, not just audio gear.  Hope this is helpful.

Almost forgot, EBay can be worth checking, too.

You never know, you might find a great pair of Fortés in Salmon Arm.  It's a small world, after all. 

7 hours ago, Islander said:

I live in Victoria

My wife and I honeymooned in Victoria and Tofino in October 2001.  Victoria is the most beautiful city we have ever visited.  I hope it is still that way when we revisit in the next couple of years.

Bill

4 hours ago, willland said:

My wife and I honeymooned in Victoria and Tofino in October 2001.  Victoria is the most beautiful city we have ever visited.  I hope it is still that way when we revisit in the next couple of years.

Bill

That’s a coincidence.  I moved here in October 2001.  Yes, the place is still beautiful.  There are a lot more tall buildings downtown, but the vibe of the city is still the same.  Let me know when you’re in town.  If you like, you can check out my stereo.  It’s always good to meet another Klipschter.