Your Favorite Christmas Album ...

Chris Robinson

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Asylum Street Spankers (http://asylumstreetspankers.com/) have a Christmas album. My wife and I saw them perform Monday night in San Francisco, in a club called The Makeout Room, located in the Mission. Cool show. Funny, bawdy, classy, nasty, acoustic (NO amplification, how refreshing!), and excellent musicians. They're in Tucson tonight before heading back home to Austin. They are worth a SERIOUS checkin' out.

fini

My favorite Christmas CD's would, in no particular order, be:

"Christmas Time With The Judds" - The Judds (or as my wife used to refer to them - "The Juggs")

"Light Of The Stable" - Emmylou Harris

"The Many Moods Of Christmas" - Robert Shaw and The Atlanta Symphony & Chorus

...all three also sound really, really good.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Brave Combo's "It's Christmas, Man"

Brave Combo is one of the best dance bands in the country and bills itself as a Nuclear Polka Band. Then there's Robert Earl Keen, Jr. singing, Mom got drunk and Dad got Drunk...at our Christmas Party.

And one I forgot till I heard it on the radio a few days ago...Cheech and Chong's "Santa Clause and His Old Lady" Now that's classic vinyl.

Thought you would never ask! How can it be Christmas without the one jazz artist (besides Dave Brubeck), that is liked by almost ALL: Vince Guaraldi. Click on the below to go back in time for ye olde Charlie Brown Christmas

~ Linus and Lucy.mp3

~ Skating.mp3

~ O_Tannenbaum.mp3

That should be enough to tide any sane human over...till next christmas that is.

kh

Well I finally ditched the Real Player, rebooted and upgraded the MS Media Player ... My PC speakers are back in action!

Got ole' James doing that wiggly thing with his legs right now! Man, I've forgotten how much I love JB. It's a test of the Emergency Rhythym Network ~ If it doesn't get your feet-a-tappin, then you're way too white :)

Glad you got the computer sound working again, Chris. You are still going to need Real One player for RealAudio. So reload that and configure it so it ONLY does real audio files. Leave media player to do everything else. Although the RealAudio player has gotten really invasive. Only use it for RA files.

Now you need to listen to the classic Linus And Lucy!

kh

I enjoyed those as well ... Carrie's a VG FREAK and has his stuff all over the house ... We enjoy it all season long. I suppose I didn't post it as a favorite simply because it's playing so much I hardly notice it anymore ... although I do enjoy it.

JB was great, though ... My hands WERE in the air! What a sight, some balding old white guy trying to do spin moves in the suburbs.

Scary. It made all the kids actually GO to bed.

There are many great selections listed here in every genre of music possible. My favorite Christmas music still remains the traditional classical carols, especially those performed on the pipe organ. Most are familiar with the recordings of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir & organ, but my three favorite CDs are of the great virtuoso concert organist, the late Dr. Virgil Fox:

*Virgil Fox Christmas Favorites (1950's), Sony Music (A 20076)

*A Virgil Fox Christmas (1960-'62), EMI Classics (7243 5 66088 2 5)

*The Christmas Album (1965), Bainbridge Records (BCD 2505)

Fox was the "Liberace" of the organ world, winning numerous awards throughout his long career. Often misunderstood & unconventional, historians (purists) despised his interpretations! He was a showman for sure, but his unique style attracted both organ-lovers & rock fans. Fox will always be remembered for his sold-out "Heavy Organ" Bach concerts during the '70's at the Filmore East to an audience of hippies!

My Cornwalls are happiest during the holidays. 1.gif