do I have too much power for klipsch?

gentlejax

I have several Carver amps.  one rebuilt that is 350 x 2 , one is the monster m1.0t mkii opt2 that does nearly 500 x 2  and then the little one that is 200 x 2 .

I have opportunity to buy a set of klf0 which I may do but I am worried I have much more power than I need,  or is it I have so much power the amp will never use its full power?

I dont know anyone with klipsch speakers so I dont know what average power is used for them. I know they are sensitive.

3 hours ago, gentlejax said:

I have opportunity to buy a set of klf0 which I may do but I am worried I have much more power than I need,  or is it I have so much power the amp will never use its full power?

Generally, once you get to 30-40 watts/channel, you're at the 99% level in terms of listening requirements (including peak requirements--depending on Klipsch loudspeaker model), not knowing anything about how loud you listen.  I've run into one or two guys that apparently listen at 105-110 dB (average) and it's anyone's guess what the peak levels might be.  Those individuals are using PA driving levels inside their homes--which I don't recommend if you're trying to retain your hearing acuity.  (Since I'm not 18 years old any more, retaining hearing acuity is a priority requirement in my experience.)

Having more amplifier power available is only an issue in the following cases:

1. The quiescent noise levels (no source music is playing) into the loudspeakers creates an annoying background noise floor (this is usually the major issue, typically, of using amplifiers having too much available power).  Lower power amplifiers typically have correspondingly lower noise floors.  That's why most Klipsch owners tend to gravitate toward lower power amplifiers.

2. The owner finds it difficult to keep from turning up the amplifier gain--until either his ears are taking a beating (a consequence of loudspeakers not having lots of modulation distortion--like direct radiating loudspeakers all have), or he manages to destroy the voice coils or driver diaphragms of the drivers in his particular model of Klipsch loudspeakers.  This is something that is typically avoidable, but using lower power amplifiers will typically avoid the driver diaphragm destruction issue (but not the hearing acuity issue (depending on Klipsch model), since it only takes a watt or so to have very loud playback levels that shouldn't be endured for very long.

Chris

In one of my systems I use a set of mono blocks that deliver 80 watts class A and 1200 watts class AB. Though not Klipsch speakers they are about 96db efficient. My volume control never goes beyond 11'oclock. I listen to a lot of classical and big band Jazz and I'm sure there are peaks of power usage greater than 200+ watts. Headroom is a wonderful thing and I'm sure you'll be fine...just be mindful of all that power because high SPL's can be deceiving and could damage your hearing. I know the total amplifier power in that system is 4000+ watts. 

My HT system is 18,000 watts......no problem.:D

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 7:37 AM, gentlejax said:

I have several Carver amps.  one rebuilt that is 350 x 2 , one is the monster m1.0t mkii opt2 that does nearly 500 x 2  and then the little one that is 200 x 2 .

I dont know anyone with klipsch speakers so I dont know what average power is used for them. I know they are sensitive.

yeah that's much power ,  but , you're still ok if you keep the gain down