Need Recommendation for Projection TV

MBM135

I just found out I am being transferred to North Dakota for a couple years. So I plan to upgrade my 32 inch Sony and get a Projection TV to help pass the time during the 9 month winters. I am partial to Sony. I want a big one but it doesn't need to be 60 inches.

I don't care about HDTV. We like to watch a lot of movies, mostly DVDs. Don't give a flip if we ever see Ally McBeal in HDTV. And the Superbowl looks fine to me just the way it is. Looking for suggestions...

Thanks!

I have a KP61HS10. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. It is 61", HDTV, RPTV. It is a 4x3 set, but is capable of 16x9 HDTV. Whenever a 1080i signal is sent to the TV, it automatically adjusts the aspect ratio to 16x9. In August the HS30 comes out. The only advantage that I have seen on the 30 is 2 digital component video inputs and its internal line doubler will do 3:2 pulldown.

It accepts 480i ( upconverts to 960i ), 480P, and 1080i signals. As I said before, if you feed it 1080i, it automatically squeezes the picture to 16:9. Since it supports 480P, it is compatible with progressive scan DVD players as well.

Another nice feature, you can hook you PC directly up to the RPTV if you have a monitor card support by Powerstrip software.

I will be doing this next week. Hopefully watching DVDs at 960x540P from my HTPC.

Price now adays around $2800 if you shop aggressively.

If you want more info, I can send boatloads. Send me a private email.

Mike.

Just picked up a Toshiba 40H80. It is a 16:9 set and the picture is fantastic. It supports 480i, 480p and 1080i. If all you are after is a great set to watch movies on, this is the TV. I got it for 1,800 USD and for a little more you can get the 56H80. Regular 4:3 viewing can be done via a stretch mode or with added grey bars on the side.

Love my Toshiba TheatreView, an older model, but Toshiba projections get thumbs up everywhere i read. It's held up well, and survived two moves (plus delivery) with no problems.

Got nothin against Sony TV's though. Don't know much about there large screen stuff, but there picture tubes are outstanding. Some of there other stuff is a different story...

-Rich

I have been pleased with my Toshiba TN50X81. For a rear projector it is very bright and clear. It is supposed to be HD compatible, but don't have the receiver yet, maybe after it's paid for.

It is interesting to note the difference between the old 27" and the new 50" TV when watching Dish Network programming. The artifacting in the background is much more noticible. I don't know how it is with Direct TV. I am too cheap to change providers since we mostly use it for kids programming.

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

Quintet Rears

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Hitachi is to RPTV what Sony is to the tube market.

Don't buy anything until you've looked at the 53" Hitachi 53SBX59B. This is one awsome analogue set. You really have to view it to appreciate it.

I would have to say that the picture on this set is as good as the 35" XBR direct view. That's pretty fantastic for RP!!!

Scan lines are only visible during credit rolls from a 13' viewing distance.

Stu-

I would be interested if you compared your Hitachi to any of the Pioneer Elite units. I got to audition the Hitachi when I picked up my sub, and auditioned the Pioneer in my new locale, but nobody has both of them in the same store. Thoughts? Thanks.

jhawk92-

I haven't had the opportunity to view them both at the same store. The Pionneer Elite series, by all reports, is a fine television. Some would argue it's among the top 3 (for its day). I'm not sure when this model was introduced and please correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was '98.

Truth is, there's really not much seperating the "top" RPTV from the next two or three in line. It comes down to a matter of personal preference and $$$$$. The Elite series in '98 retailed for about $4,000. Many would find that to be cost prohibitive. I purchased my Hitachi in 2000 for a mere $1,825 and it includes built-in prologic surround sound with 60 watts of power. In fairness, like most mass produced equipment, there is a tendancy for prices to drop as the market matures, expands and production techniques improve.