"Klipsch Forte and Forte II History and Mods"

jjptkd

great article.  

were fortes ever made in black lacquer? he says he bought a pair & lists it as a available veneer, is he maybe confusing the black satin veneer with black lacquer? i have never seen black lacquer fortes or any other klipsch models from this era. 

the question I was responding to  had nothing to do with Piano black  , but  Black lacquer -have a nice day 

great article.  

were fortes ever made in black lacquer? he says he bought a pair & lists it as a available veneer, is he maybe confusing the black satin veneer with black lacquer? i have never seen black lacquer fortes or any other klipsch models from this era. 

• Haha 1

maybe some have a different idea of black lacquer,  to me & to many others its usually considered more of a piano black, where its smooth with a glossy black finish.  the pics posted above show the traditional satin black paint on a wood veneer, & the rear tag pic simply says "BLK", it does not say "BLK LQR" or any reference to black lacquer. 

ive owned some black lacquer furniture that was popular in the 90's & it was a completely smooth glossy surface with no wood grain showing.  ive also owned a few of the black finish klipsch speakers of this era & on my CF4s klipsch actually calls it "satin black" not black lacquer. -  have a nice day.  

& whats up with the posts i see lately that are just dots .  ?  are they being edited by mods or by the members?   

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

maybe some have a different idea of black lacquer,  to me & to many others its usually considered more of a piano black, where its smooth with a glossy black finish.  the pics posted above show the traditional satin black paint on a wood veneer, & the rear tag pic simply says "BLK", it does not say "BLK LQR" or any reference to black lacquer. 

ive owned some black lacquer furniture that was popular in the 90's & it was a completely smooth glossy surface with no wood grain showing.  ive also owned a few of the black finish klipsch speakers of this era & on my CF4s klipsch actually calls it "satin black" not black lacquer. -  have a nice day.  

& whats up with the posts i see lately that are just dots .  ?  are they being edited by mods or by the members?   

Guessing by member using self restraint.

Piano Black I like most. A set of Heresy done that way recently here. Could apply eyeshadow in it's mirror like reflection.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, billybob said:

Guessing by member using self restraint.

Piano Black I like most. A set of Heresy done that way recently here. Could apply eyeshadow in it's mirror like reflection.

was just curious on the dot posts, i see quite a few of those lately, my guess is they were posted comments but edited shortly after to avoid being "reported"  :ph34r:

not sure why triple zero posted all those pics above... those are just the traditional satin black painted veneers.  this pic shows what black lacquer is  --  ,  or just google black lacquer furniture to see what it actually looks like.  so i guess the answer to my questions is- no, klipsch did not make true black lacquer fortes.

i like piano black too, i own other brand speakers that are piano black, hard to keep dust free but look very nice.  i also like black lacquer, when done right it looks very good but for the most part that fad has passed.  i had a nice coffee & end table set that were black lacquer & a waterbed too! the 80's & 90's were awesome! 

i saw the piano black heresys, & i just missed a set of chorus 2 this summer that were redone in piano black but timing didnt work out.  there is a product at most home stores that is a 2 part (base/clear) paint that looks like real piano black, i cant recall the brand right now but ive used it before. you prep & paint the surface like normal but then you pour on the clear that is a resin or epoxy type material, brush it on real thick & it self levels & cures to a super thick & hard glossy clear thats practically invincible to water or other contaminates.   

blklqr.jpg

Lol, yes * think so on the dots above. 

And yes, no figuring the triple naught.

In or out of fashion, like the looks and idea of it. Dust did come to mind. Saw some KLF speakers in Orlando while selling speakers to a member in Piano Black. Really nice looking. Abit formal looking but, cool with me. Not certain Klipsch has not offered it in the past.

The product you are referring to sounds really interesting to find out more about.

Thanks!

KLIPSCH HERITAGE SERIES HISTORICAL REFERENCE DATA

8. "Lacquer" refers to the application of one or two thin coats of a clear semi-gloss lacquer sprayed on the cabinet and motor board prior to installation of drivers. That lacquer was obtained from various vendors, and as of 2013, is a #40 sheen, semi-gloss lacquer from Valspar/OPEC. Lacquer finishes only require a routine wiping off with a clean dry cloth to maintain the finish.

9. For "Black Lacquer" finishes, the factory used a flat black lacquer primer, then #40 sheen black lacquer, with a clear #40 sheen to protect the black

CODE **                 WOOD                   FINISH          REMARKS

• AL                Ash                        Lacquer        Uncommon
  • AO               Ash                        Oiled            Uncommon
  • BB                Birch Black              Lacquer        Common
  • BR                Birch                       Raw              Common
  • BL                Birch                       Lacquer        Common
  • BW               Birch White             Lacquer        Rare Spec Order
  • CL                Cherry                    Lacquer        Uncommon **
  • CO               Cherry                    Oiled            Uncommon
  • D-BR            Birch                       Raw              Designer (No Grill)
  • D-BB            Birch Black              Lacquer        Designer (No Grill)
  • FL                Fir                          Lacquer        Rare
  • FO               Fir                          Oiled            Rare
  • FB                Fir Black                 Lacquer        Late Models Only
  • F                  Fir                          Firzite Rare - Marine Grade
  • HL                Hickory                   Lacquer        (reported-unconfirmed)
  • MEL             Macassar Ebony     Lacquer        Rare Spec Order
  • MEO            Macassar Ebony     Oiled            (unconfirmed)
  • MHL             Mahogany               Lacquer        Rare Spec Order
  • MHO            Mahogany               Oiled            Rare Spec Order
  • MHR             Mahogany               Raw              Rare Spec Order
  • ML               Maple                     Lacquer        Rare"Hardrock Maple"
  • MO               Maple                     Oiled            Rare"Hardrock Maple"
  • MO*             Medium Oak           Oiled            Late 90's Models
  • OL                Oak                        Lacquer        Common (Red Oak)
  • OL                Oak                        Oiled            Common (Red Oak)
  • PNL*            Persian Nut             Lacquer        Rare Spec Order
  • RRL*            Rambling Rose        Lacquer        Rare Spec Order
  • PL                Prima Vera             Lacquer        Rare Spec Order
  • PR                Prima Vera             Raw              Rare -Early
  • RL                Rosewood               Lacquer        Brazilian species
  • RO               Rosewood               Oiled            Brazilian species
  • TL                Teak                       Lacquer        Uncommon
  • TO               Teak                       Oiled            Uncommon
  • WL               Walnut                    Lacquer        Common
  • WO              Walnut                    Oiled            Common
  • WS               Birch (stained)         Stain             Walnut on Birch
  • ZL                Zebrawood              Lacquer        Rare Spec Order