Heresy II Crossover Upgrade Alternative to Crites/ALK

Hello, 

I'm brand new to this forum. I have a pair of Heresy IIs from 1989. I recapped the crossovers a while back, but I have terrible soldering skills and one of my tweeters just went out. I could order a new set of Crites crossovers, but I'm thinking I would like to upgrade them instead of a straight replacement of the original design. ALK is not taking new orders and I don't want to wait until summer 2022 or later for new crossovers. I see that there are some other builders here on the forum, but I haven't been able to find any working web links. Any suggestions would be welcome. 

Edited by Bill Hambone

On 1/4/2022 at 11:16 AM, Bill Hambone said:

Hello, 

I'm brand new to this forum. I have a pair of Heresy IIs from 1989. I recapped the crossovers a while back, but I have terrible soldering skills and one of my tweeters just went out. I could order a new set of Crites crossovers, but I'm thinking I would like to upgrade them instead of a straight replacement of the original design. ALK is not taking new orders and I don't want to wait until summer 2022 or later for new crossovers. I see that there are some other builders here on the forum, but I haven't been able to find any working web links. Any suggestions would be welcome. 

what do you mean by "upgrade"? actually changing the values of the caps? most people like to keep them original designed values but replace the aging capacitors if/when they fall out of spec.  if you want to change value/design in the xover then its probably best to change the drivers as well... but whats involved with that is over my head & im in the camp of keeping things as designed but replacing the capacitors with new of the same type or with higher quality type caps.  

you could also practice soldering or watch some youtube videos to get better at it & then fix the issue or re-do the questionable soldering you already did?  & definitely try swapping the tweeters to the other speakers to see if the tweeter is blown or its the crossover.  

On 1/4/2022 at 12:16 PM, Bill Hambone said:

Hello, 

I'm brand new to this forum. I have a pair of Heresy IIs from 1989. I recapped the crossovers a while back, but I have terrible soldering skills and one of my tweeters just went out. I could order a new set of Crites crossovers, but I'm thinking I would like to upgrade them instead of a straight replacement of the original design.

@JEM Performance  is the klipsch Authorized crossover repair center , they can turn around your crossovers in 1 day from receiving them , with klipsch original capacitors which should be the best sound you can achieve with these H II speakers -

this is how you do it the right way  , if you're not satisfied sell the H II , buy the H III or H IV