Another La Scala wood finishing thread

JohnW

I bought a pair of ‘85 La Scalas yesterday, and the finish is pristine raw birch. I mean, like brand new. As in, they look like they’re literally made of plywood (because they are). I’ve always seen them with a thirty-year old patina, or stain. It’s cool, but it’s not going to fly in the family room (WAF).

So this is a refnishing question: what can I put on that will accentuate the grain, add a finish (satin—even glossy, if it improves the depth) and depth but not really color the wood? And preferably something that won’t yellow over time (like boiled linseed oil).

Note: I am NOT experienced at wood finishing. I use Watco Rejeuvenating Oil on my oiled walnut 85 Cornwalls, but it works because they’re dark and all I have to do is rub it on.

From what I’ve read, the preparation steps are: light sanding with >220 grit sandpaper, followed by a mineral spirits wipedown, followed by a prefinishing conditioner (obviously with time in between for drying/evaporating).

I guess the $64 quesion is: what to apply after that? I only get one shot, I want to get it right the first time.

I’ve got a real opportunity here. Thanks in advance.

4C10526C-6072-4CBA-AD6B-16E2F5004CEC.jpeg

6DA86D82-4840-43D3-8EBC-9701F4142912.jpeg

5E160F5F-A16A-4AA8-8889-6EA304E7E637.jpeg

64BFC867-5033-48A1-8B73-1ECBE615EB02.jpeg

• Like 4

Beautiful speakers!

Since I'll be refinishing my BR La Scalas this spring, I'll follow this thread with interest.

A few questions:

1. What are the black rectangles on either side of the tweeters? Are they cut-outs? Velcro patches for attaching grills?
  2. I'm unfamiliar with prefinishing conditioners. How do they help? What have you used?

14 minutes ago, Dave MacKay said:

Beautiful speakers!

Since I'll be refinishing my BR La Scalas this spring, I'll follow this thread with interest.

A few questions:

1. What are the black rectangles on either side of the tweeters? Are they cut-outs? Velcro patches for attaching grills?
  2. I'm unfamiliar with prefinishing conditioners. How do they help? What have you used?

That’s Velcro from the previous owner. Removed with a heat gun last night.

• Thanks 1

Personally... I would remove the drivers, and have it sprayed with a clear coat of paint with a tint of your choice added...or have the wood professionally dyed a color of your choice. Just make sure the Birch is a good candidate for dying.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Wow, nice to start with cabinets that look that nice.

Would like to see closer pictures of both tops, both fronts(dog house, etc.)and all four sides before commenting. Also, if you feel there are any areas that concern you beyond the norm, post pics.