CD Stereo system crackling with certain bass sounds

Kyle R

Hello all, 

I have a problem and I wonder if anybody could help me. I recently found a cd stereo system and discovered that when playing bass songs, some of them would make the speakers bug out and make crackling/clicking noises. I noticed not all songs do it so I’m guessing it’s a type of sound that the speakers are too old for or something? Also it doesn’t matter the level of volume either it does it at all volumes. 

18 hours ago, Kyle R said:

Hello all, 

I have a problem and I wonder if anybody could help me. I recently found a cd stereo system and discovered that when playing bass songs, some of them would make the speakers bug out and make crackling/clicking noises. I noticed not all songs do it so I’m guessing it’s a type of sound that the speakers are too old for or something? Also it doesn’t matter the level of volume either it does it at all volumes. 

Back in the day when CDs were new I had several discs that would have crackles. Turned out to actually be my cheap CD player. Not saying it’s your issue, but might be worth a try. 

18 hours ago, Kyle R said:

I recently found a cd stereo system and discovered that when playing bass songs, some of them would make the speakers bug out and make crackling/clicking noises.  Also it doesn’t matter the level of volume either it does it at all volumes. 

CD stereo system? Are you talking about a boom-box or some other all-in-one stereo console? Can you list the stereo components and speakers you're using? 

Given that this occurs at all volumes I agree with the above post probably something wrong with the CD player or cables somewhere highly doubt its a speaker issue. More info is really needed to try and pinpoint exactly what is going on. I'd double check all your wiring and connections and if you have another CD player you can swap out to see if that fixes the problem would be an easy quick test. 

Does this "CD player stereo" have an integrated FM tuner or other source? Do you have this problem when playing the other source?

Does the same play have extra inputs for an external source? If so, could you plug an external CD player into the jacks and see if this external CD

player causes the same problem?