FM Tuners

Edgar

Does anybody have experience and/or opinions about the Sangean HDT-20 tuner? I'm most interested in conventional FM reception at 40-45 mile range. I'll be using a Stellar Labs 30-2460 antenna mounted in the attic at about 10' AGL.

I also have a Yamaha T-1 tuner that is superb, but in need of realignment. The alignment would cost me about as much as the Sangean, and in the end I would still have a 43 year old tuner. However, if anyone has recommendations for someone who can perform that alignment, I'd appreciate that, too. I could do it myself if I had the test equipment, but I don't.

Thanks.

I know--where are all the old Hams that were around when we grew up?  Couldn't hardly throw a rock w/o hitting one of them.  Perhaps this means you have an excuse to buy fast gear (cough) I mean to explore an exciting sub-avocation off your sub-avocation after your career :)  Can add-on a DIY Faraday cage and branch out...just messing with you while hoping someone who actually knows something will come along. 

1 minute ago, grindstone said:

I know--where are all the old Hams that were around when we grew up? 

I think we lost the last one when my dad died three three years ago. All of his equipment sits in my basement, in boxes. I hope someday to fire it up and see what's out there, but even he complained that the airwaves have been silent for many years.

Perhaps this means you have an excuse to buy fast gear (cough) I mean to explore an exciting sub-avocation off your sub-avocation after your career  Can add-on a DIY Faraday cage and branch out...just messing with you while hoping someone who actually knows something will come along.

It's so frustrating because I have the service manual and know how to use the test equipment ... I just don't have the test equipment and I don't know anyone who does. So a truly fine tuner sits in a box, refurbished electronically and cosmetically but out of alignment, and there is very little that I can do about it.

It was the first piece of high-end gear that I bought, way back in 1979. I was still in college, and FM was still good.

I feel your pain and wish I had your EE chops.  I don't know how many of us dinosaurs there are, but I have old tuners packed-away as well.  Seriously, it might be a perfect side-gig for you when you get antsy to do something.  Any of us using HE speakers "get" the issues with program material quality as well.  Sometimes, I think the end of my travels will be a decent table radio, if only because I don't _expect_ it to be other than a decent table radio.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 5:19 PM, Edgar said:

It was the first piece of high-end gear that I bought, way back in 1979. I was still in college, and FM was still good.

Wasn't it, though!  I had a midrange Kenwood tuner and integrated.  Climbed on the roof of the dorm and installed an antenna and ran the wire in the window.  We could listen to WKDF in Nashville from Cookeville.  I awoke in the middle of the night to hear 'KDF announce the Skynyrd plane crash!  As WKDA-FM, they broadcast in quad, especially after midnight. 

Fond memories.  No idea what happened to the Kenwood gear. 

• Like 2