So, what will everybody be doing when 2003 hits?

Kain

i was hoping to be with my most wonderful girlfriend, but apprently the family wants her elsewhere which is quite a dissapointment.

no new years kiss for jas 8.gif

but i'm going over to a friends house, it'll be fun.

neither of us are fortunate enough to afford klipsch... but so vhat :)

I'll be drinking carling light and listening to tunes at a friends house on his minimus-7 speakers in the basement/pool room. It'll be tunes to Rock 101 from B.C. Now, you're gonna ask how can you tune in a radio station from B.C. when you live in Ontario ? We get it as part of our cable package.9.gif The top 1000 songs of the year, counted down. Yee-ha !

Looks like I will be building a proto-type 7.1 Klipsch based portable home theater, filling it with equipment, and then making it available to the club I belong to in the Santa Cruz Mountains.

At the moment I am reviewing methods to create an audio environment that will be relatively non-reflective so that sound will be generated by the speakers more than the reflections as the ambient sound enhancement speaker designs dictate. Thus, the ambience will be as the DVD mixers designate. While not all people on this board agree with that approach to surround sound, those who have heard my Home Theater certainly do!

The basic space will be about 25' x 20' with 4' extentions ("blisters") where the side/surrounds and rear effects speakers are mounted so that the sweet spot will fill more of the basic room. The front center, side/surrounds ann rear effects speakers will be "horizontalized" Klipsch floorstanding speakers that match the right and left mains. Smaller speakers of the same "family" will be used as front effects speakers mounted high and outside of the right and left mains. A large V shaped corner will be built behind the screen area for an "adequate" subwoofer arrangement.

Interior furnishings will be of leather covered to enhance the bass effect... as only the organic character of leather seems to do.

One of the areas of current concern is what sort of wall, ceiling and floor composition will provide a neutral acoustic interior and keep the sound from leaking into the tranquil forest that will surround the building. So far I have been investigating foam, fibreglass and rock wool approaches for sound insulation. The intent is to also build an air handling manifold to provide fresh, comfort controlled air to a rather "sound-tight" room.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to build wall, ceiling and floor ingredients that trap bass down to at least 20 Hz, I would appreciate the info. I have looked at some prefab sound insulating panels but they seem unveildy in both shipping and base price. I suspect that building panels form bulk materials should provide a better and more cost effective approach. Figuring out how to build a cost effective sandwhich of lightweight building materials to trap low bass, high bass and the upper end is proving to be a very time consuming exercise. So, once again, any of you acoustical sandwich pros are welcome to drop som prose here.

If there is any interest, I will post ideas and their probable outcome from time-to-time. Once I have the experience of the prototype behind me, I intend to build three more units to deploy across the country as part of a new business venture that I am contemplating (if the health imps permit such capital excess... lol).

In the meantime, all of the Forum that do the New Year thing... have a Happy!!! And to cluless and others who march to another drummer... think of it as a day off... and have a Happy New Wednesday! =HornEd

PS: If I can run these rascals all the way out to the "travelling the country" stage, I hope I will get an opportunity to meet and demonstrate these portable Klipsch theaters to as many Forum friends (and even any enemies) as I can.

Ed...LOL...at what time will I aspire to such ambitious endeavors? Maybe next go round...tee hee..This year my goal is to pass out AFTER I hit the bed... which should be close to about 9pm...Goals We Must Have Goals..

Keep us posted on the results of your efforts (I'm a closet reader of the more technical posts - dont tell Less she'll stage a revolt!) Happy New Wednesday to you also!

HornEd,

As always buzzing with fresh ideas.Good to see you more active on the Klipsch board.Happy new year and back to full health good ole HornEd. 1.gif

WWEKain,

The modest B&W 4000 uses the same 15" driver found in the Nautilus 801,a massive beast.The cabinet is rock solid and a 400W RMS(real watts here)with a large torroid fixes on the outside powers the woofer.When I lifted the monster(not so big...just HEAVY)I really felt how solid this thing is.Its around 160lbs if I remember,and it goes for under $5000 CANADIAN. LOL Modest aint it

I love the punch this brute has,it just slams.Similar qualities to the RSW15 with more low end power.

1.gif

One day the concrete floor may crack and an avalanche of subs will cause serious destruction. 3.gif

I'm out of town this week and I'll miss my Klipsch tonight. For the new year I'd like to get an invite to hear what HornEd has and is building. That is if he'd allow a Silicon Valley LaScala dude to visit.

Thanks to all for a great year of reading.

Happy New Year!