Cornwall 3 vs Cornwall 4 impression

What do you mean by 30Hz setting? Should it play exactly like that or deeper?
I have already researched several amplifiers that can play deeper. The MA252 is specified at 20 Hz.

Maybe other recommendations whitch is a good match? The prices of the two brands are already high.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Von Hoellert said:

What do you mean by 30Hz setting? Should it play exactly like that or deeper?
I have already researched several amplifiers that can play deeper. The MA252 is specified at 20 Hz.

Maybe other recommendations whitch is a good match? The prices of the two brands are already high.

No, that's a misunderstanding. @mustang_flht just meant that the MA252 has a tone control. And the lowest frequency of the selectable equalizer bands is 30Hz. Of course the amp plays much lower in the bass. Here is a brief review.

https://thesourceav.com/blogs/news/mcintosh-ma252-integrated-hybrid-drive-amplifier

• Thanks 1

A short story about my Mcintosh world. If it's too long, just read the last lines after the last paragraph.

I'm a big Mcintosh fan anyway. Your suggestion @mustang_flht is already an open door for me. I have loved my C22CE and MC275MK4 for every second of their sound for more than 20 years. They sound so wonderfully musical, smooth, full, and "real" spacious 
(but without any artificial illusion of spatiality through phase rotation! which can often be fake spatiality with cheap tube amps)
At the same time, my Mcintosh gear is full of pep, dynamics, super timing and liveliness. It is this mixture that a) characterizes Mcintosh per se and b) has made it "the" classic partner for Klipsch speakers since the beginning of time.

I can say from experience that these devices are fantastically reliable. I have also had an MC2102 for 21 years, which will one day become a classic. Mcintosh is high quality and retains its value, which is also an important reason for me. My MC275 cost €2,200 2 years old in 2004, my C22CE had never been out of the box before I bought it, it had been shrink-wrapped in the original plastic film for about 10 years and I paid €1,900. 

I really like the aesthetics and concept of the MA252, the classic elements brought into the modern age.
It reminds me of the first time I heard Mcintosh when I was 15. Because my piano teacher had an MA230 in 1974 with the Bose 901 Mk1, which wasn't very old in 1974. "Despite" 😀 the Bose, I loved the MA230 at first sight. Its sound had an authority and a serenity (at the time I could already distinguish between the influences of the amp and the speakers).

The funny thing is how the concept changes over time. The MA230 had the preamp transistor and the power amp tube because at the time of its release transistor power amps were not yet good, but the pre amp part was "super innovative". However the spirit was to build the most modern. The MA252 has it the other way around, the objective is completely different...how does the modern customer who wants it effortlessly get the classic Mcintosh tube sound? the best way is through the spices of the preamp. The SS power amplifier ensures effortlessness in everyday life, high quality, modern and without heat stress and without the need to buy power tubes again and again if you like to listen a lot. I like the MA252 in every respect, design, look, concept, but I haven't heard it yet. And as you said, mustang, it is equipped with just the right 30Hz boost of its pre amp tools if desired. Certainly a good match possibility with the Cornwall of @Von Hoellert. At least one to be tried before the final purchase takes place.

Below a pic of the beloved MA230 of my youth.

IMG_4547.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thank you @KT88 for the details on the bass adjustment centered at 30Hz

Yes @Von Hoellert the McIntosh preamp and amp go down to 20Hz and even lower. This is the bass adjustment action which is centered at 30Hz

DSC_0765.thumb.JPG.cc80e0d673395a26177f480b30f9b15c.JPG

Equalizer.jpg.4d3f3ac7c2671a7d46ba7ff8918f9d39.jpg

Equalizer2.thumb.jpg.b6c4021d5142f53bc69bd25e56de1517.jpg

Try a McIntosh preamp or integrated amp at home with your Cornwall IIIs and play around with the bass setting. You will enjoy your beautiful Cornwall III and finally appreciate beautiful deep bass and present :)