getting new saxophone

prodj101

well, I'm getting a new tenor sax for christmas. it's a Keilwerth SX-90, it will be awsome! I'm lookin forward to comparing it to my yanagisawa. even though it's an alto, can stil tell quality easily. they should be pretty close to the same class. the keilwerth should be a a fair amount better though.

post-10107-13819246072618_thumb.jpg

I wanted a new Roland RS-5 programmable 61-note MIDI keyboard synthesizer for Christmas...alas, I guess I was a bad boy. 11.gif

Anyhoo, I've still got an 1898 Steinway & Sons upright piano to bang on, along with an 1888 ten-stop Estey 2 manual and pedal reed/pump organ. If I get tired of pumping the bellows with my feet, then I can go the 1983 G. Tidwell & Sons 19 rank pipe organ my dad built for the house; the 2 manual and pedal console sits on a moveable dolley, and the entire Great, Swell, and Pedal organs are situated in the 2 car garage encased inside its own chamber (the cars sit outside, natch). The organ can be played on its own console, or can be played digitally through a Devtronics MIDI interface, being driven by a Cakewalk 4.0 "DOS" sequencer (using an old 8088 Window-less computer with a 40 Mhz Intel processor and a 540 MB hard drive); it's much like a player piano, except no paper rolls to install. After recording several live sessions of the pipe organ playing a Bach Prelude and Fugue or Wagner's Tannhauser programmed through the sequencer onto DAT, and then playing the demo tape through my system/Cornwalls...oh what a sound!

But I still wanted the Roland, dammit! 7.gif Maybe next year.

heh, we have a 6" grand paino, i forget the type and dont wanna run upstairs... and an oldskool stienwey upright in our basment that looks like its straight outta a western tavern in an old movie >=)

my current guitar is a G&L legacy... in my opinion one of the nicest strats out there...

my first guitar was a Squire Strat... so the difference was like "WOOOOOW"

even my guitar teacher is jealous of my guitar...

its in a natural finish, with a brown tortious shell pickgaurd, and ivory toned pickup covers/knobs.

*hugs guitar* my preciiiious...

My current babies are,

Fender Jazz Bass: USA made from the 70's with new Seymour Duncan Basslines active pickups.

Godin A4 fretless bass: semi-hollow rock maple w/solid western red cedar top, ebony fingerboard.

Taylor 310 Acoustic guitar: solid mahagony back/sides, solid spruce top, bound ebony fretboard.

Fender American Tele Plus: Bookmatched ash body w/sunburst finish.

I play bass alot more than I play guitar but lately I've been listening to music on my klipsch more than I've been playing.

Enjoy your instruments1.gif

Peace, Josh

----------------

On 1/2/2003 9:19:15 PM JasN00b wrote:

----------------

On 1/2/2003 9:13:16 PM prodj101 wrote:

I don't like flashy guitar finishes, I prefer the solid, none glossy colors.

----------------

its not flashy

----------------

Natural finishes are gorgeous.

Being able to see the natural woodgrain is very nice.

My Godin bass is a natural matte finish, almost 4 years old and not a nick or scratch on it9.gif

Peace, Josh

----------------

On 1/2/2003 9:31:59 PM prodj101 wrote:

"its not flashy" yeah, I konw, it was more of a complement eh?

----------------

lol sorry man... i'm in a bad mood all together recently...

i wont go into a full rant but lets say it involes some ******* poser who wishes he could be like me calling my house at 1:30AM and hanging up over and over... this is after insulting my significant other in rather colorful terms...

yea i do agree that natural finishes are gorgeous... mine looks so nice... i wish i could afford a digicam >=

its got 3 alnico pickups in it, but i'm thinking of switching out the bridge pickup, mabey a humbucking, i'm not sure. any suggestions?

by the way... josh, if you have a ton of money kickin' around someday for a bass

http://www.spectorbass.com/images/ns5blkteallrg.jpg

http://www.spectorbass.com/images/ns6bkch2black.jpg

its gotta be a spector.

these are some of the nicest basses out there, look at it!

SO GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they used to make guitars but stopped.

i want one really bad just for looks, they looked so kick ***.

plus it'd match my bassist buddy's bass >=)

ah how i do love guitars...

i should try to track down a spector guitar...

I've actually played a few of the spectors at a store back home and they just didn't do it for me.

As for a lot of money for a bass, Ha I wish I had a lot of money to spend on basses.

All of my instruments were bought while I still lived at home and did not need to pay for things such as food2.gif

The godin is the one that emptied my wallet the most as it was about $900.

About the guitar pickups,

my Tele has the lace sensor pickups,(I may have the color designation backwards) a blue single coil at the neck and two red single coil pickups wired as a humbucker with a coiltap switch at the bridge.

I think the humbucker in the bridge is a nice sounding option, it can give you a little more "meat" and midrange bite and quack.

The coiltap switch on mine is a threeway switch allowing you to pick the coil closest to the neck or the coil closest to the bridge as well as both together like a humbucker. This as well as the regular three way pickup switch(neck, bridge, both) gives me a wide range of tones.

Whatever you decide make sure that whoever does the work switching pickups knows what he is doing, G&L's are really nice and it sounds like you have a beauty.

Peace, Josh

----------------

On 1/2/2003 10:19:42 PM prodj101 wrote:

"prodj, at 16 years of age, you most likely are rather talanted at the skin flute too"

hahaha, I'm only 14, I try not to brag, but I think I'm better than most at it.

----------------

Keep up the good work my young patawan and someday you may be as good as your master9.gif

On 1/2/2003 9:05:48 PM JasN00b wrote:

"heh, we have a 6" grand paino, i forget the type and dont wanna run upstairs..."

Man, I've seen 6' grand pianos before, but the 6incher must be like one of those toy baby grands that Mini-Me was playing in "The Spy Who Shagged Me!" LOL 2.gif

JasN00b, just playin' with ya...but seriously, I wish I could play the guitar like you. One of my ol' Army buddies back in '81 was the lead singer/guitarist to a punk band called "The Digital Delinquents" out of Atlanta (now defunkt) 15.gif. Anyhow, I remember him telling me about his "Squire Strat" by Fender(?). It was a beginners guitar, I remember him saying, but it was all he could afford then. The finish was peeling off and the controls were flakey, but he liked the overall tone only because he had obtained his uncle's expensive vintage Marshall tube amp!

Back in the early '60's when I was a young lad, my dad played alot of old country/bluegrass tunes on an old 6-string Gibson acoustic he had as a boy...unfortunantly, he lost interest in guitars before I knew any better, and sold the Gibson in '67 when he went off to 'Nam. If he had kept it and encouraged me to play it, maybe today I'd be "pickin' and grinnin'" instead of "tickling the ivories" (which I can't do all that well anyways, but it's fun). 5.gif

----------------

On 1/2/2003 11:50:18 PM prodj101 wrote:

"Keep up the good work my young patawan and someday you may be as good as your master "

umm, personaly, I don't like to do it with other people. lol

----------------

...unless of course, your girlfriend/wife/mistress/hooker will lend you a hand, in which case I don't mind, really. In fact, it's kinda fun! 3.gif

----------------

...unless of course, your girlfriend/wife/mistress/hooker will lend you a hand, in which case I don't mind, really. In fact, it's kinda fun! 3.gif

----------------

Not only is my girlfriend an accomplished skin flutist, but she's also a virtuoso pump organist as well. I'm still trying to master the fingering technique when playing her virginal, but she's a great instructor! 13.gif

Vir*gin*al (vur'je'nel) n. A small, legless, rectangular harpsichord popular in the 16th and 17th centuries: A pair of virginals. <[VIRGIN, from it being played by young girls.>

And you thought I was talking about the vagin...2.gif]