That Cary "House Sound"...

ChrisK

I am the owner of a Cary SEI300B. I bought it very slightly used for $2,000 off Audiogon. I audtioned ARC, Manley, AirTight and Art Audio before buying the Cary. I thought it represented a good bang for the buck compromise that works well for me. And I am continually impressed with their after sale service. When I make the move to monoblocs, Cary will be at the top of the list. Although, a pair of Art Audio Jota's (among many others) will get strong consideration. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a line on a pair of CAD-300SE's with the power supply Kelly speaks of. I'm pretty sure the "sound improvement curve" gets pretty shallow as you get up in that price range.

Anyway...Cary, Decware, Fisher, Eico, AudioNote, Manley, VTL, Jolida, ASL, etc., etc., etc. Who cares? It's the sound in YOUR house that matters. My house sounds just fine.

Happy listening,

Chris (happily listening to Dvorak's "Symphony For A New World")

Cary SEI300.jpg

jazman,

No, it didn't come with the Western Electric 300B's. Supposedly they do now. I bought the WE's from a dealer here in Southern California that sells them for a little over $400.00 a pair (w/all the correct paperwork). He probably shouldn't be selling them that cheap, but has been doing so for quite awhile.

Regards,

Chris

JMON,

When I got them they were raw Birch treated with Linseed oil. They had also been stored under a house for 10+ years and had exterior housepaint overpray on them. I sanded and sort of stripped them. Then I took them to a local refinishing shop where they sanded more, stained, and then sealed them. Lastly, you are correct, they are a "Designer" series pair.

Chris