DVD player suggestions

bkrop

Time to purchase a DVD player. I was waiting for the price of a DVD recorder toi drop below 500 and it has, but the format hasn't settled down and I don't want to end with a beta. So, any suggestions for a DVD player or tips on ones to avoid?

Get the Philips DVD963SA.

You can get it for around $500-$600 and it ROCKS!

It has excellent audio and video quality/performance. It supports SACD, NTSC progressive scan, and PAL progressive scan! It can also be hacked to output 720p!

I'm really happy (after one day!) with my Panasonic CP72K purchased from onecall.com. I cannot imagine a better picture. I'm using a 32" JVC non-HD TV, so I can't tell you about progressive performance. It has a 5-disc tray, DVD-A, and was $224. Shipping was $17. Panasonic currently has a $30 rebate on changers. It's a good compromise for me, especially for the dough, while they work out digital connections, format wars, etc.

fini

It would be easier to list the brands that are dependable in your price range rather than name the ones to avoid. I think Panasonic is tops followed by, Denon, Pioneer and Toshiba .All are popular with people that know video. Stay away from Aiwa, Apex, Samsung, RCA, GE and the GO-Video brands to name a few problem DVD player manufacturers.

I have a sony NS-900V. I really like it alot. it's a single disc, and supports multi channel SACD. when they were first released, they retailed for 1,000, than dropped down to 700 after about half a year, and now you can find them online for about 550. And yes, stay away from the samsung. some dvd's it wouldn't even play, or else just skip a ton on, and the sony plays them with no problem.

I would do the yamaha dvdc920, it is a 5 disc changer (that actually plays through ALL of your music cds, it dosent stop after each disc is done) It has dvd-audio and progressive scan wtih the farjouda dcdi chip inside, the picture is great, it sounds amazing and its only $399 (3 months ago it was $599!).

joe

My suggestion is to get the cheapest reliable DVD player you can find (i.e. Panasonic, Sony, Thoshiba, etc.). You can get these for as low as $100-120. If you've got HD, progressive scan players are just a bit more. I splurged a little and got one that also played SACD (Sony). Paid $149 on clearance at Best Buy. Sound and picture are excellent. I see no reason to spend hundreds on a DVD player when you can get so much for so little. If formats/standards change, you haven't invested much and can get something else later without having made a big investment.

You need to set your priorities. I would think about the importance of the following features:

1. price sub $300, sub $500, sub $1k, sub $2K?

2. picture quality: can you live with the chroma bug? if not then that would limit your choices. If you have an HDTV ready monitor then picture quality will probably be very important. I loved my interlaced Toshiba on my analog TV and hate it on my 55" HDTV which has made me more of a video critic (jaggies on diaganol lines).

3. SACD or DVD/A? Can you live without these? Pioneer has a sub $500 player with both but it has the chroma bug. Sony has SACD but not as popular for picture quality compared to Panasonic rp82 w/o SACD or DVD/A.

4. Remote ease of use -- does the Panasonic remote bug you? It's the one perceived weakness of a very popular DVD player.

The Panasonic rp82 is very popular and worth a look. Denon makes nice players starting at $300 that are worth looking at. Marantz makes some great players over $1k...don't know much about their low end. It's hard to say without knowing where you stand on the questions above.

The worst DVD picture quality I've seen is from a PS2 video game.

The new Sony NS-999V(?) is supposed to be awesome, but it is pricey. I've also read positive comments on the Marantz-8200. The latter does SACD multichannel and DVD-A also. The 999 does DVD-V and SACD 5.1, but not DVD-A.

Sony has updated their C900 HTIB with a newer version, the C990(?)which now has DVD with Progressive scan along with SACD and a set of speakers.