What happening to odds and mods ????

Dale W

I'm seeing all these newbies posting questions all over the forum but i'm not seeing any new pics of there systems down here in odds and mods land ????

This page use to have lots of new stuff come up, but latly things have been a little dry down here . whats up guys ???

what would you think of a " RATS NEST " contest ???

We all take a pic of the horribly bad rats nest of wires behind our gear. Then clean it up as best we can and post a fixed picture. We can select a board member to judge to worse of the worse. I'll put up a bottle of your favorite fire water to the winner !!

At the very least we may get motivated to clean up some wiring nightmares.

Hehe,

Some firewater would be nice.

My cables are actually fairly neat, I just can't stand having cables all messy.

I used to do network cabling LOL, you don't know pain until you've had to punch down a color coded one hundred pair phone cable.

Running phone cables for a four story dormitory gets fun also, thirty or so rooms on each floor, two or more lines to each room...14.gif

I plan to have pics of my system as well as the rats nest behind it up sometime soon.

Peace, Josh

I'm w/ djk on this one. I helped un-install a video post-production facility this summer and underneath the computer flooring (50' x 40') was a foot deep w/ various types of video, audio, data, cables. 15 years of expansion and changing technologies all combined to create one heck of a rats nest.

Dave

You guys are right,

Most broadcast facilities have way more cables then I would like to think about.

Here is a pic of a small portion of the cables we had at work.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/I/n/Invidiosulus/images/gallery/nest.jpg

This rack in particular stayed a mess because we were moving things so constantly.

Peace, Josh

----------------

On 1/7/2003 12:27:10 AM Invidiosulus wrote:

I used to do network cabling LOL, you don't know pain until you've had to punch down a color coded one hundred pair phone cable.

----------------

Boy was that ever corny,

"you don't know pain" what was I thinking.

Peace, Josh

I work for IBM in the data center at American Express. On the production floor there are about 3000 servers in rows of racks. pull up a few tiles, it's really busy under there, but not near as bad as I had imagined. Does get a little intimidating near the big routers and switches. There's a support group for cabling only, they're busy a LOT! Glad I don't have to know where all that stuff is.

Tom

You should see our development and test lab here at work! With all the tactical computers as well as the regular data servers and such, it can be such a huge rats nest under the flooring. I'd love to take a picture, but since it is a classified facility, no camaras are allowed in. About my own rats nest, look at the 8th picture down here.

" Check out my avatar! 3.gif "

Damn?! 14.gif I'm behind the times again, apparently Klipsch has changed the BBS so that the avatar doesn't appear full size when you click on it to go to user profile. When did that happen? Anyway, here's the full size image, I guess I need a new avatar since no one can see it properly anymore.

wiring.jpg