QUestion about pipe threads for plumbers

tigerwoodKhorns

I want to replace a shower arm from the connection in the wall to the shower head. 

I bought a $10 arm on Amazon and had to return it.  The threads are not sharp and I could not screw it into the fitting in the wall.  I did not want to force it.

So I ordered a Moen arm from the Home Depot.  In the picture you can see nice sharp threads. 

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen/Moen-Chrome-6-Shower-Arm-Shower-Arm-with-1-2-Inch-IPS-Connections-6-L-x-75-W-x-75-H-/10154

But what I received looks just like the Chinese arm.  Look at the threads, they are square on top rather than the sharp threads that you usually see on pipe threads. 

Have pipe threads changed?  I do not want to force anything and these threads will need a bunch of Teflon tape and will need to be forced. 

IMG_3150.JPG

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I want to replace a shower arm from the connection in the wall to the shower head. 

I bought a $10 arm on Amazon and had to return it.  The threads are not sharp and I could not screw it into the fitting in the wall.  I did not want to force it.

So I ordered a Moen arm from the Home Depot.  In the picture you can see nice sharp threads. 

https://www.moen.com/products/Moen/Moen-Chrome-6-Shower-Arm-Shower-Arm-with-1-2-Inch-IPS-Connections-6-L-x-75-W-x-75-H-/10154

But what I received looks just like the Chinese arm.  Look at the threads, they are square on top rather than the sharp threads that you usually see on pipe threads. 

Have pipe threads changed?  I do not want to force anything and these threads will need a bunch of Teflon tape and will need to be forced. 

IMG_3150.JPG

A good tapered pipe  thread should screw into a fitting about 2 /1/2 turns by hand (ideally).Threads are sometimes improperly cut overly deep or too shallow, this effects how many turns necessary until the fitting tightens . a much too shallow cut would prevent the pipe from starting. If it seems too tight to start ,test it by  screwing it into a  steel  fitting that you may have laying around , Also the first thread could be bad ? a file would fix that , good luck 🤓

55 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

A good tapered pipe  thread should screw into a fitting about 2 /1/2 turns by hand (ideally).Threads are sometimes improperly cut overly deep or too shallow, this effects how many turns necessary until the fitting tightens . a much too shallow cut would prevent the pipe from starting. If it seems too tight to start ,test it by  screwing it into a  steel  fitting that you may have laying around , Also the first thread could be bad ? a file would fix that , good luck 🤓

The old pipe will screw in but the newer square thread pipes will only go in about 1/2 turn before you need to force them.  I really do not want to have to cut the drywall on the other side and replace the fitting in the wall. 

Oddly, both the old and new pipes screw into the showerhead easily.