I strike again! hahahaha, check this out!

prodj101

I strike again! This time, the Jiff Sub will have more power (driver is 40 watts RMS instead of 10) and the enclosure has dampening material as you can see in the picture. it is actually really dead when you tap on it, lol. The last one I made went fairly flat down to 55 hz, I'm hoping I'll get a little better extension with the better driver and enclosure. if only I could find a plan for an internal amp that size, lol. "Jiff Sub powered subwoofers"

post-10107-13819246102158_thumb.jpg

Watch out Ear(s), with the right kinda bread, this dude may just empty enough peanut butter cans to graduate from a one banger... to a straight eight... to a V-16 cylinder sub. And then, who knows, perhaps he will go into production with Jamaica Steel Drum Subs... that double as percussion instruments for Belafonte tunes.

Hmmm, it may sound far fetched... but I am visiting a place that is using a couple of converted Pringle cans to extend the WiFi range to my motorhomen on the back forty... and he has only about $7 bucks per "PringleTenna" in 'em.

Peanut butter cans... gee, I wonder if he could get more bass out of a couple of lard tins =HornEd

HornEd,

Good to see you back in active duty,on the Klipsch forum. 1.gif

When I was a kid I often converted carboard boxes into "sub" cabinets! Even braced a large,thick cardboard box with cardboard ribs and installed an large old Blaupunkt oval driver. LOL A la B&W Matrix before B&W coined the MATRIX braced cabinets.

Sounded quite good considering the investment. Err $0 and about two hours of my then very valuable time. 3.gif I used a sharp knife to cut the internal locks and driver hole.

EAR(s), I guess I trying to get in a few extra posts before I go dormant for a few days on a much postponed journey. I got a kick out of the Blaupunkt and cardboard approach to EAR(s) growing... My father thought record players and speakers were just a tawdry plot to take his money... so my early systems were also somewhat comedic Rube Goldberg affairs... but they did crank out sound and gave me a hands on approach to audio and accoustic basics.

Fortunately, I had a great grandfather who had a treasure trove of old tube fired radios with enourmous old woofers... some with multi-celled horns. For a time, my audio was confined to our frequent trips to visit my great grandfather and my dad's parents (my grandparents). They had a two acre estate and my great grandfather's shop had a spare room that became my audio test lab. It was sort of a compulsary family trip almost every good weather weekend in the summer. It's where I learned an appreciation for horns... and led to my first clandestine purchase of a mono Klipschorn at a local auction... with the aid of a doting grandmother.

In time, it came home but I was not supposed to play it unless my father wasn't home. He was a confirmed "audiodefile!"7.gif =HornEd

HornEd,

Yep true audiophiles start early.My audio bug started at only 5.yes five years of age.I dismantled the family record player(cost a fortune then,and in Europe these were VERY expensive).Not six months later the family color TV(cost a year salary of a worker,two months of my father slalry!) I took the oval speaker out and the tuner! LOL

After a serious warning and a traumatising experience with the belt,I cooled down.

Started collecting speakers,of all shapes and sizes.Then experiment with box types and amps.At one time I had over 90 speakers(drivers) in my room(from 2" full range to 15" woofers).

When we came to Canada my father purchased a Clairtone AM/FM casette radio.Was over $200 in 1983,quite good quality(to my ears then).My dream was to have a high quality sound system,my father told me "SON YOU WILL BUY YOUR LITTLE SYSTEM".Even a $1500 Rat Shack systems were dream level!

Well guess what almost 20 years later I have my LITTLE mega system,and not one.Times have changed and now I have what I could call a near dream system.Before I could only drool and dream.Today its a reality 1.gif

lol, I saw that driver in the junk pile for 7 bucks, so I just figured why not. besides, I was almost done eating the peanut butter, lol. the other one is just sitting around, we use it as a test speaker for amplifiers and what not so if somethings wrong with them, we blow a 7 dollar speaker instead of a 650 dollar pair of klipsches. by the way horn ed, steel drums aren't that popular in jamaica anymore. maybe if you're hanging out in the wimpy tourist area's, but the music isn't like that at all anymore. lol, you could probably compare it to an acousticrap system and get some more bass out of it. I can't believe my music teacher owns bose speakers. if he wasn't such a good teacher, I'd find another one.

Hey, prodj101, I think your approach to a sacrificial test speaker is neat... and opens a whole new potential market for Bose!

While I will admit it has been some time since I have done the Ocho Rios scene, the "steel drum" suggestion came from a friend who works at the club where I was sitting on the deck, sipping a cool one, and enjoying the view of forest greenery, blue sky and 72 degree sunshine. Simba is dreadlocked Jamaican who brought up the steel drum as I was casting about for "cans" that would extend your peanut butter design excellence in a more humorous "canaplé" menu.

Another friend pointed to the water tower on the side of the mountain... but I was a little short on figuring a quick driver fix for that big a can... besides drinking it dry is beyond my limited capacity. lol. Keep up with the stimulating subjects and improved display of writing skills... it's great practice for a guy with a great future (oops, asuming you're a guy... didn't mean to be politically incorrect. It's just that most of us on the Forum seem to be testosterone burners. Help, cluless!) =HornEd

PS: On that practice makes perfect issue, my old piano teacher Erda Branstetter used to say, "Perfect practice makes perfect"... and as much as I hated the concept at the time... I have to admit it seems to work. I passed the concept on to my son... and he sailed through an Ivy League school with a communications major. He's still "cool" but decidedly a lot more grammatically correct then his old man these days.

I know why you hated it, because it doesn't make sense. it's techincaly impossible (from a literary stand point) to have a perfect practice. Especially with music. You practice all music differen't, so theres no one perfect way. plus, practice is meant to make you perfect, not be perfect in itself.

lemonman,

What part of europe,the evil side.You know behind the iron curtain. 1.gif In Poland to be exact,lived a while in France,Switzerland,Germany. And no I am NOT A GYPSIE LOL

I traveled to Africa!Made a Tour du Monde if you will.

Then I arrived to ...Canada! 6.gif And a few years later found this Klipsch BB. 1.gif