Is progressive scan DVD really better?

jefnel1

I have a Toshiba 61" HDTV and a Sony DVD player hooked up via component video. The picture looks really good with most DVDs, but I do notice some subtle stair-stepping patterns on certain movies.

I am thinking of upgrading to a Progressive Scan DVD player like the Toshiba 9200. If anyone out there has a comparable model, I would appreciate some advice on the upgrade. Is the picture quality really that much better?

Also, I was reading in this month's Sound and Vision that DVD-Audio can only be connected via Analog jacks. Anyone experiment with this format yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I am using a HTPC. The biggest thing that I saw improvement wise with progressive scan was the total elimination of jaggies and stair steps. In my opinion, progressive gives a better image. I have chosen to skip the whole progressive scan DVD player thing in favor of a HT Personal Computer. I am quite impressed with its capabilities, but it is not perfect. I should have it properly tweeked in a couple of months.

As for the players currently available on the market, I think I would wait. There are a slew of players in the sub $400 dollar range due to be released mid summer.

Mike.

I just bought a Denon 2800 DVD that just started shipping in March. I hooked it up too a Mitsubishi HDTV Diamond series 65" widescreen box. I too was pessimistic and almost didn't buy it. But I must say I have been pleasantly suprised. The Denon is outstanding. It blew me away how much better it was than the Mitsubishi DVD I was using and the Mit was not a cheap unit by any means. The Denon runs between $700 - $800.

If you have a HDTV capable TV, I would definitely get it.

PaulC

quote:

Originally posted by jefnel1:

I have a Toshiba 61" HDTV and a Sony DVD player hooked up via component video. The picture looks really good with most DVDs, but I do notice some subtle stair-stepping patterns on certain movies.

I am thinking of upgrading to a Progressive Scan DVD player like the Toshiba 9200. If anyone out there has a comparable model, I would appreciate some advice on the upgrade. Is the picture quality really that much better?

Also, I was reading in this month's Sound and Vision that DVD-Audio can only be connected via Analog jacks. Anyone experiment with this format yet?

I also have heard a lot of good info on the 2800. The 2800 uses the same chips as the IScan line doubler. Reviewed as one of the top 4 players available. Note that the other 3 start at $300 to $500 more than the 2800. The top player, a Camelot Roundtable, was 3K and I believe it uses the same chipset as the 2800.

Before I had my HTPC up and running, that was the DVD player that I was going to purchase. Now that I can do DVD in 540p, I think I will skip the whole progressive thing. Of course, if the new DVD software I am waiting for does not pan out in terms of picture quality, I may just buy the Denon or one of the 20 or so models that will be newly available this summer.

Mike.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking into the Denon 2800 and the Pioneer Elite DV-37. I've seen mixed reviews on the 2800. Everyone seems to love the Pioneer.

I may go with the Pioneer so that it will match my receiver. Decisions, decisions.

Check out Hometheater Forum. They are discussing the new Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD-Video/Audio Players that are new to the market. They are reviewing them and some say it is better than the Denon 2800. Defintely check it out because the players are selling for around 400-500 USD.

Jefnel1,

I also have a Toshiba HDTV (50HX70) but have chosen to go with a liner doubler(DVDO iscan V2) instead of the $$$$$ Pro Scan DVD's(good 1's). I am using a Marantz DV3100 and was thinking of the Marantz 7100 but way to pricey. Besides, a line doubler not only improves the picture of DVD(comparable to Pro Scan)but also improves your cable\sat, vcr tape, etc signals and costs considerably less ($600-700 US).

have a look at http://www.dvdo.com

Khorns(93)

LaScalas(01 sometime soon I hope)

C7 (Hersey's to replace in 02 for 6.1)

Adcom AC-515 Enhancer

Marantz SR18EX A/V Receiver

Marantz DV3100 DVD player

Marantz MV5100 S-VHS hifi

Marantz CD6050 dual tape

Marantz DR4160 3 disk carousel with single tray CDR

Toshiba 50HX70 HDTV

DVDO iscan V2 line doubler

Monster Reference Z2 cables biwired(Khorns and C7)

Monster MC 20/20 original cable

Monster audio/video cables all around.

T.

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 05-16-2001 at 02:43 PM

Wow! I've never even heard of that iScan product! You learn something new every day, and there's always something to spend money on.

Can you please shed some light on how this thing actually works? I checked out the website, but don't really understand all that "line doubling" mumbo jumbo. I haven't even seen progressive 480p video in person yet, so I don't know what to expect. This iScan Pro product seems to do everything and then some for video.

I'm going to put up a new topic on this thing because I haven't heard of other people on this forum owning it. Maybe others will have input. Thanks!

------------------

A/V System:

Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX

Philips CDR-765

Sony CDP-CE345

Sony SLV-N60

Sony DVP-S530D

Toshiba TN61X81 HDTV

Klipsch RF-3 Mains

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

BA PV-600 Sub

Monster Cable Interconnects

Monster Power HTS2000

http://www.jefnel1.com/hometheater/ht.html

hi there! i currently own one of the denon 2800's. i have it hooked up to a 56' mitsu . i love it. the sound from it is great, and the picture is great! as for the comments out there about people not digging the denon 2800 it is understandable. the first round put out had a software issue with the mpeg player in the progressive output. that issue has been addressed and denon has been standing behind their product very well. there is a lot of talk about it... i had long awated the release of the denon unit, and when i heard teh frist reviews i was upset. i looked into other players (i run a full denon stack) but as i could not settle on one. i deceded to wait till denon fixed the issues with the 2800 and i tell you, i am SOOOOO glad i did!