Sold: NOSValves VRD Stereo Amplifier

tlarwa

Didn't think I'd be doing this, since I have really enjoyed this amp since I bought it last year (2022). But I am nearing the completion of my live edge dipole OB speakers, which will be bi-amped, and I don't think this amp will be the best choice for driving the midrange/woofer sections. Not that it couldn't ... I'm sure it would do an admirable job ... but I think it would be a shame to use in in that capacity. I'm looking at moving to a Class A SS amp to handle the duties. Plus, it wouldn't hurt for me to free up some funds to pay for these speakers!

The amp is in the exact same condition as when I bought it, which is excellent. It has been sitting on the shelf in my rack the whole time and hasn't moved. It will include a quad set of 350b tubes, a set of KT88 tubes, and all the associated rectifiers for each set of power tubes. I have the box it was shipped to me in, which I believe is the box that Craig originally shipped the amp in when it left his facility. It was shipped to me from CA with zero issues, so I'm confident in my ability to ship it safely. And from what I've been told, and have every reason to believe, this was Craig's personal amp for some time.

The attached pic is the only one I have at the moment (I'm traveling for business), but I can certainly get you more. There are also a number of pics here on the forum, just search "NOS valves VRD". Looking for $2000 + actual shipping charges. Or come pick it up, and listen to it while you're here. I'm in Lake Geneva, WI, so easy access from Madison, Milwaukee or the Chicago area. Reach out with any questions.

This amp was listed here earlier last year.  I ended up buying it, but from a different forum.

Tom

IMG_0034.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 2:09 PM, tlarwa said:

Didn't think I'd be doing this, since I have really enjoyed this amp since I bought it last year (2022). The amp is in the exact same condition as when I bought it, which is excellent. It has been sitting on the shelf in my rack the whole time and hasn't moved. It will include a quad set of 350b tubes, a set of KT88 tubes, and all the associated rectifiers for each set of power tubes. I have the box it was shipped to me in, which I believe is the box that Craig originally shipped the amp in when it left his facility. It was shipped to me from CA with zero issues, so I'm confident in my ability to ship it safely. And from what I've been told, and have every reason to believe, this was Craig's personal amp for some time.

Damn man, I almost bought this last time it was for sale now I have a Carver RAM 285 on preorder otherwise I'd be considering this thing again. Beautiful amplifier, good luck with your sale!

35 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Damn man, I almost bought this last time it was for sale now I have a Carver RAM 285 on preorder otherwise I'd be considering this thing again. Beautiful amplifier, good luck with your sale!

It’s a great amp, for sure.  I’ll be sorry to see it go, if it ends up leaving after all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this to the top, along with a little sweetener.  I’ll split the actual shipping charges up to $100 since shipping is so crazy these days.  

As has been discussed here and on other forums, this is a great sounding amp, with serious iron and serious balls.  It would make your speakers very happy.  

I am amazed this hasn't sold yet, Listen to me now and believe me later, this is an amplifier that was BUILT FOR HERITAGE and as such is difficult to find such an excellent match at this price point. If I didn't have VRDs already I'd have this. I sold a fair load of vintage Mac gear because when it came down to it, I already had one of the best, most transparent amplifiers for my 2 channel Heritage that money could buy, which was the VRD monos. You'll miss pretty much not much with the stereo version, and unless you had them side by side you couldn't tell anyway....

Given the geography it appears in reach of a lot of people, for a buyer near Chi/Mil that's having a custom amp in their backyard.

GLWS, can't rec this one enough.....

• Like 2

Thanks for the support.  I couldn’t agree with you more.  No way I’d be selling this if my speaker situation didn’t change.  Sounds great on my 100dB Econowaves.  I’m sure it would be fantastic on any of the Heritage speakers as well.  

11 hours ago, tlarwa said:

Thanks for the support.  I couldn’t agree with you more.  No way I’d be selling this if my speaker situation didn’t change.  Sounds great on my 100dB Econowaves.  I’m sure it would be fantastic on any of the Heritage speakers as well.  

Yep - as well as Tannoys, high efficiency JBL, Altec, etc etc etc...

Well, I really want to move this amp, as I have my eye on a solid state option that I think will work well with my new speakers. so knocking another $50 off … $1850 + split shipping up to $100. Or come hear it in my listening room and take it home with you if you are in the Milwaukee/Chicago/Madison general area.

This is a great tube amp and will make someone very happy!

• tlarwa changed the title to Sold: NOSValves VRD Stereo Amplifier