Advice on New DVD Player

ScottyYo

The Elite has both SACD and DVD/A but it also appears to have the CHROMA BUG. This is frequent comment so what is the Pioneer response?

Panasonic and Denon seem to be popular brands as well in that range and lower.

Are there any good links to sub $1k or even $500 DVD player reviews that are current? I read one referenced here and on AVS with extensive data on chroma bug and general picture quality but I think it was over a year old.

once again it depends on what you want from your dvd player. I recommend buying the Panasonic Progressive scan DVD i believe its the RP 91. Then add a hackable chineese dvd player like the Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 progressive scan and hackable to play back all regions and best Pal to NTSC conversion available and its only 69 bucks at best buy.

• 3 weeks later...

After swearing off Panasonic due to unreliability issues with the previous 2 units I've owned, I settled upon the Denon 1600. True, it's a Matsu****a (Panasonic parent co.), but I've nothing but positive experiences with my 2 Denon receivers.

I considered the Denon, Pioneer 45a and the Phillips. These were all within my pricerange.....under $500. Had to discount the Phillips because I wanted another DVD-A player (to support all 3 DVD-A titles I have). Had to discount the Pioneer for fear of the 'chroma bug' which, as I understand it is really not too much of a biggie except for if you are viewing a large image (I am...front projector).

Ordered the Denon 1600 online for $380 including shipping. Will provide a review upon receipt!

----------------

Philips DVD963SA.

can be hacked to ouput 720p! Yes! 720p!

----------------

That would be cool if DVD's were made in the 720p format. Most monitors won't display 720p, so not a very important factor in choosing a DVD player.

I love my Panasonic DVD-RP91, and you can get them for 300-400 dollars now (compared with $700 a year ago). The others mentioned are worth checking out, too. Denon 1600 is very nice.