DeanG

mopardave

Hi Dean. I bought a pair of you Universal crossover from Kevin . You built them for his khorns, but he went a different direction, so now I have them in my CornScala using a B&C DE85 TN mid driver(500-18000) and your crossover has a 47uf filter. The woofer is a Crites stamped basket.  Not sure this crosses over properly.  Do you think I should have a different filter with my combo?   

IMG_0279.jpeg

IMG_0282.jpeg

22 minutes ago, geoff. said:

A 39uF cap would cross around 500hz.

Does the squawker get a little “crackley” sometimes? That’s when I know I’ve pushed it too far.

No, it really sounds quit nice. I was just curious if I might be missing something.

27 minutes ago, geoff. said:

A 39uF cap would cross around 500hz.

Does the squawker get a little “crackley” sometimes? That’s when I know I’ve pushed it too far.

So do you think the crossover would cross at 400 with a 47uf?

47uF is the value for a 400Hz cross from the woofer.

But, as I understand it, it is an acoustic crossover determined by the combination of everything going on in your speaker. 

If it sounds nice your DE85s aren’t unloaded. At least not at the levels you enjoy.

Someone turning it to “11” may get them barking, or fry them.

19 minutes ago, Deang said:

The parts are all crooked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

What horn are you using?

Did Kevin teach you how to readjust the autoformer?

Send me a PM, or email at dgwescott@gmail.com

Thanks,

Dean

Zxpc horn.  I have the taps as they should be, so yes.   

The B&C Speakers DE85TN-8 2" titanium compression driver is an example of the transducer engineering excellence that has made this Italian company an industry benchmark. The DE85TN-8's evolution is traceable to its ubiquitous predecessors, the DE75 and DE85, found in many famous concert-level touring speaker systems. FEA-optimized ceramic ferrite magnet materials produce the driver's high flux density, and a copper cap on the DE85TN's pole piece reduces inductive losses and extends high frequency response.

Specifications: • Power handling: 110 watts RMS/220 watts program above recommended crossover of 1 kHz/12 dB slope • VCdia: 3" • Impedance: 8 ohms • Frequency response: 500-18,000 Hz • SPL: 107 dB 1W/1m • Dimensions: 6.7" diameter x 2.5" depth • Net weight: 9.9 lb. • Replacement diaphragm available.

3" VOICE COIL - HIGH EFFICIENCY, GOOD POWER HANDLING & CLEAN HIGHS!

B&C DE85TN

DE85TN

add_to_cart_red.gif 

Item Price: $241.81

SPEAKER MODEL

DE85TN

SPECIFICATIONS

Throat Diameter

2" / 50mm

Impedance

8 ohms

RMS Power Rating

110 Watts

Program Power 220 Watts

Frequency Response

500Hz - 18kHz

Recommended Crossover 1.0KHz

Sensitivity (1W/1m)

107dB

Voice Coil Diameter

3" / 75mm

Winding Material Aluminum
Inductance 0.14mH
Diaphragm Material Titanium
Flux Density 1.8T

MOUNTING INFORMATION

Overall Diameter 6.7" / 170mm
Mounting Holes (4)M6 holes on 90°- 4" Dia.
Depth 2.5" / 64mm
Net Weight 9.9 lbs./ 4.5 kg.

Just now, mopardave said:

B&C DE85TN

DE85TN

add_to_cart_red.gif 

SPEAKER MODEL

DE85TN

SPECIFICATIONS

Throat Diameter

2" / 50mm

Impedance

8 ohms

RMS Power Rating

110 Watts

Program Power 220 Watts

Frequency Response

500Hz - 18kHz

Sensitivity (1W/1m)

107dB

Voice Coil Diameter

3" / 75mm

Inductance 0.14mH
Flux Density 1.8T

MOUNTING INFORMATION

Depth 2.5" / 64mm

Just now, mopardave said:

B&C DE85TN

DE85TN

add_to_cart_red.gif 

SPEAKER MODEL

DE85TN

SPECIFICATIONS

Throat Diameter

2" / 50mm

Impedance

8 ohms

RMS Power Rating

110 Watts

Program Power 220 Watts

Frequency Response

500Hz - 18kHz

Sensitivity (1W/1m)

107dB

Voice Coil Diameter

3" / 75mm

Inductance 0.14mH
Flux Density 1.8T

MOUNTING INFORMATION

Depth 2.5" / 64mm

This is all i can find on driver and horn.   

I don’t know enough about titanium diaphragms to be able to tell you at what point it becomes unhappy with you. If it was my set up, I would probably change the 47uF capacitors to 33uF and not drive the system to obscene levels. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deang said:

I don’t know enough about titanium diaphragms to be able to tell you at what point it becomes unhappy with you. If it was my set up, I would probably change the 47uF capacitors to 33uF and not drive the system to obscene levels. 

I can do that. I dont listen at 95+db levels anymore.  70-90 is about where i live and i now have a 300b amp, so compfortable listening is what i do. Correct me if im wrong, but from what i read it looks like its currently crossed at about 400 with the 47uf and the mid driver only goes down to 500, so wouldn't that leave a hole?     Where will the 33uf cross at best guess?   Where do i find those caps/filters?   Thanks Dean.

Way at the top, I asked that you send me a PM or email.

33uF is roughly 600Hz, which at least gets you above the Fc of the horn. You can buy them any place that sells capacitors. If you want the same type capacitor, just read the label. 

The 2.5mH is the same value the Type B uses, so you know it's occupying some of that same space around 600Hz.

The Universal isn't as "universal" as everyone thinks it is. It was designed to be used with the K-55 and K-400/K-500. It was called "universal" because it could be used in the Klipschorn, La Scala, and Belle Klipsch. The K-400 has an Fc that is almost a full octave below the crossover point (280Hz). It can be tweaked to be used in the Cornwall or Heresy. It wasn't designed to support any and all driver/horn combinations. 

Kevin, and some others can get away with it because they are using larger horns that have a lower Fc in combination with something like the BMS or B&C DCM50 that are designed to go low.

ZXPC provides no real useable data on that horn. Without measuring, there is simply no way of knowing what is going on with that network/horn/driver combination.

33uF will probably prevent the diaphragm from hitting the phase plug, but as far frequency response, distortion, etc., - who knows.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deang said:

Way at the top, I asked that you send me a PM or email.

33uF is roughly 600Hz, which at least gets you above the Fc of the horn. You can buy them any place that sells capacitors. If you want the same type capacitor, just read the label. 

The 2.5mH is the same value the Type B uses, so you know it's occupying some of that same space around 600Hz.

The Universal isn't as "universal" as everyone thinks it is. It was designed to be used with the K-55 and K-400/K-500. It was called "universal" because it could be used in the Klipschorn, La Scala, and Belle Klipsch. The K-400 has an Fc that is almost a full octave below the crossover point (280Hz). It can be tweaked to be used in the Cornwall or Heresy. It wasn't designed to support any and all driver/horn combinations. 

Kevin, and some others can get away with it because they are using larger horns that have a lower Fc in combination with something like the BMS or B&C DCM50 that are designed to go low.

ZXPC provides no real useable data on that horn. Without measuring, there is simply no way of knowing what is going on with that network/horn/driver combination.

33uF will probably prevent the diaphragm from hitting the phase plug, but as far frequency response, distortion, etc., - who knows.

Sorry, I over looked that. Will PM